GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great article....

"As soon as the battery was ready, engineers at GM’s Michigan proving ground hacked together a bastard car using the front half of a Chevy Sonic and the rear of a Buick Encore. They called it the Soncore and fitted it with the Bolt battery pack and motor, using the Franken-vehicle to make sure the propulsion system worked."

https://www.wired.com/2016/01/gm-electric-car-chevy-bolt-mary-barra/

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Yeah, but Tesla beat Chevy to the marketing ploy of taking deposits on a car that is FAR from production.

Where's that thread that talked about the legal case of: Targeting another's customers with a product you don't really have for sale?

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Nissan thought the Leaf was the first mass market EV...I mean GM themselves are currently predicting 30K/year Bolt sales...Is that considered "mass market"?

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
Should be, "How GM Beat Tesla to the First True Mass-Market 200+ mile Electric Car "

"It’s not just that Chevy will likely be first. It’s that a car company as lumbering and gigantic as GM, with infrastructure and manufacturing capacity on an epic scale, has gotten there first—and is there now. Tesla is nimble, innovative, and fun to watch, as companies go. But the Bolt is far more significant than any offering from Tesla ever could be. Why? Think of the old saw about how long it takes to turn an aircraft carrier around: It’s slow, and there’s not much to see at any given moment. But the thing about people who actually manage to turn one around is: They’ve got a freaking aircraft carrier."

Of course, the question is, will they use the aircraft carrier or just take a pleasure cruise with it? Only time will tell.

"the trunk opening is shaped so you can slide in that bookshelf you bought at Ikea"

This is practical usefulness that I value.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
This is a great article, well worth reading. Thanks for posting.

Now that the Bolt is well underway it time to transition this knowledge to other types of vehicles. As they point out in the article, once you have the basic electric propulsion system in place, you've done the hard stuff.

·
Registered
13,560 Posts
"the trunk opening is shaped so you can slide in that bookshelf you bought at Ikea"

This is practical usefulness that I value.
I've fit two tall bookshelves from Ikea in my Volt, unassembled of course, wedged between the driver and passenger seats on top of the center storage console. First load was in St. Louis while my wife was at a doctors appointment where I got 2 Billy's and 1 Gnedby as well as a stack of shorter shelves, and the second was in Chicagoland on a dedicated trip to Bolingbrook IKEA. Now I wish I snapped a pic.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Excellent story. Hopefully, there's no rollback in federal fuel economy standards to kill electrification.

·
Registered
13,560 Posts
Thanks for the link. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
+1, very well written, but I'm reserving judgment on the bolt until I can get behind the wheel of one. Though they say it's roomy, I'm skeptical that it is enough passenger and cargo space for my family. I've already placed and cancelled a reservation for the model 3 because of the size. Get me a voltec Sububran, and I'm all in.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Very good primer on the subject. I hope many, many people read this article, regardless of whether they are interested in purchasing an EV right away. Awareness of where things started, where they are going, and just how far we've already come can only help.

Nissan thought the Leaf was the first mass market EV...I mean GM themselves are currently predicting 30K/year Bolt sales...Is that considered "mass market"?
According to the article (and I have no reference or source to refute this), GM's initial target is 50,000 vehicles a year. That is pretty close to the initial sales numbers for the Gen 2 Prius, so not too shabby for the first year. To hit true, mass market numbers, total sales will need to increase to about 100,000 a year, which I see happening in 2018.

Of course, the question is, will they use the aircraft carrier or just take a pleasure cruise with it? Only time will tell.
With Mary Barra at the helm, I think GM is going to war....

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
I've fit two tall bookshelves from Ikea in my Volt, unassembled of course, wedged between the driver and passenger seats on top of the center storage console. First load was in St. Louis while my wife was at a doctors appointment where I got 2 Billy's and 1 Gnedby as well as a stack of shorter shelves, and the second was in Chicagoland on a dedicated trip to Bolingbrook IKEA. Now I wish I snapped a pic.
I've moved everything in my one bedroom apartment in one trip in my Volt. Maybe I'm simple?

·
Registered
13,560 Posts
I've moved everything in my one bedroom apartment in one trip in my Volt. Maybe I'm simple?
I wish I could move in a single trip in the volt. Unfortunately, the house is 6000 sq ft. With decades of stuff and I also have 24 acres of land, so there are tractors, trailers, post hole diggers, mowers, grader boxes, post pounders, etc. Even the Suburban with the 16 foot utility trailer would need multiple trips to move my stuff. I think it's time for craigslist and some garage sales.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I wish I could hold move in a single trip in the volt. Unfortunately, the house is 6000 sq ft. With decades of stuff and I also have 24 acres of land, so there are tractors, trailers, post hole diggers, mowers, grader boxes, post pounders, etc. Even the Suburban with the 16 foot utility trailer would need multiple trips to move my stuff. I think it's time for craigslist and some garage sales.
Lol. Just the shed (368sqft) would require multiple trips. The 2300sqft house with my daughter's 1800sqft of 'stuff' would take significantly more.

·
Registered
13,560 Posts
Lol. Just the shed (368sqft) would require multiple trips. The 2300sqft house with my daughter's 1800sqft of 'stuff' would take significantly more.
My barn is 1512 sq feet with a hay loft (second story for even more stuff). Is it wrong to hold an estate sale decades before you die?

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
My barn is 1512 sq feet with a hay loft (second story for even more stuff). Is it wrong to hold an estate sale decades before you die?
For me, downsizing feels really good. I've been trying to make it a point to only add things to my life that I am actively using, and the possessions I obtain need to be (in my opinion) the best available at the time. I've occasionally bought a few items on sale that I didn't need, but I am using them and/or will likely be giving them away. I'm trying to keep contingency possessions to a minimum, and the only exceptions to that are tools (you can never go wrong with quality tools) and high-quality items that I will only use occasionally (hunting, hiking, backpacking, etc.). I don't want any possessions in my life that I can't either walk away from or fit in my car in a single trip.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Why? Think of the old saw about how long it takes to turn an aircraft carrier around: It’s slow, and there’s not much to see at any given moment. But the thing about people who actually manage to turn one around is: They’ve got a freaking aircraft carrier."
I just had to quote that, always love this type of view. People wrote off the big automakers for precisely the reasons they will dominate the market. They have the depth and resources to turn on a dime and they can with the right leadership. You can be as innovative as you want but without an established infrastructure your dreams are rooted by your finances

·
Registered
766 Posts
Thanks for sharing this really interesting article. I found the section about battery development and testing especially interesting and it explains why the battery system in the Volt has been bullet proof. It also shows that the legacy automakers currently sitting out EV development will have a harder time catching up than they think. As for the Bolt, I am a big fan of form follows function and really like the form factor.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
50k per year is not mass market. That's how many S/Xs Tesla's selling right now. BMW's global 7 series sales are over 50k.

Prius liftback-only sales are 100k per year or more just in the USA.

The story of the Bolt is that GM is taking electrification seriously. The Bolt, at least for now, is the step _before_ mass market.

·
Registered
165 Posts
50k per year is not mass market. That's how many S/Xs Tesla's selling right now. BMW's global 7 series sales are over 50k.

Prius liftback-only sales are 100k per year or more just in the USA.

The story of the Bolt is that GM is taking electrification seriously. The Bolt, at least for now, is the step _before_ mass market.
A strong first step imo

1 - 20 of 67 Posts