GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JF2ZK1T/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The above link will take you to wiper refills for Gen 1 Volt. Contrary to popular opinion, the blades are refillable and the procedure takes less than 5 minutes per blade. These are EXACT fit replacements, you just have to shorten them by about 2 inches. $8.75 vs $35 or more for new blades. The procedure is as follows:
1) Slide the rubber of the old refill back and forth at the end. One end will move, the other won't. The end that won't move is the end you need to remove the end cap from.

2) Use a medium screwdriver underneath and twist to remove the end cap.

3) You will see a tab with a couple little spikes that keep the insert in place. Take a narrow screwdriver and lift the tab just enough for the prongs to clear the rubber. Slide the refill out, cut the new one to its length, and slide the new one in, until it is flush with the end.

4) Take a pair of pliers and squeeze the tab back down. You can squeeze over the rubber, it won't hurt it. Press the end cap back on, be sure it goes on all the way till it hits the metal frame. One side done!

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
I got the whole wiper blade assembly (Michelin) for $10 Cdn at Costco each. They only fit the driver's side (they are handed, they didn't have passengers side). For passenger's side I got OEM from Chevy dealer (on sale but more money). The OEM's are better than the Michelin. Be interested to try these though.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I got the whole wiper blade assembly (Michelin) for $10 Cdn at Costco each. They only fit the driver's side (they are handed, they didn't have passengers side). For passenger's side I got OEM from Chevy dealer (on sale but more money). The OEM's are better than the Michelin. Be interested to try these though.
I got the Bosch blades off Amazon, they were $20 each. For the passenger side, I popped off the end caps, slid out the aero spoiler, moved it to the opposite side, and replaced the caps. Perfectly symmetrical. I could tell that the rubber inserts would be easy to replace when I did that. I'm glad to see they're available now at a good price! Since I saved the OEM blades, I may refurbish them with a pair of these inserts.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
The question is, how good is the rubber? I've seen a wide variety in the quality of rubber over the years that affects durability, how quickly they get noisy, etc. Only time will tell.

On the Michelins, it wasn't the airfoil but the angle of the connection that prevented it from going onto the arm.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts