GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I have a 2011 Volt and live in Saskatchewan, Canada and winter is well on it's way.
I am wondering if I need to winterize my Volt as it won't be long when it's going to be -20C (-4F) for weeks on end.
I better check my windshield washer fluid to make sure it's winter rated and won't freeze and my anti-freeze and coolant.
Is there anything else I need to change?
I wonder if I have a thinner oil for the cold as this car was first owned in California I am sure it has seen it's first snow just a few weeks ago now that it homes in Canada.

I am a newbie so any advice or guidance is appreciated.

Cheers,
... lovin' the Volt ...

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
You might want to check on the gas. Most California gas has 10% ethanol, which might cause problems in extreme cold, though it should be fine. As for the oil, if it's synthetic, it should be fine, even in winter conditions. Make sure you monitor your tire pressure; ideally, you'll never want it to drop below 38 to 40 PSI. Check it first thing in the morning and inflate accordingly.

You should also look up information on these forums regarding preconditioning.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
IMHO it is worthwhile to get snow tires. Also, you should have a cold weather emergency kit.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
The antifreeze will be fine (50:50 Dexcool). Your oil is already a semi-synthetic that will be fine at those temps, don't change the weight as engine damage is actually more likely.

But at those frigid temps its important that the Volt stay pluggged-in at all times.As if the battery average cell temps get down to -24C it wont even attempt to draw power from them and gives you the "plug-in to warm" message. But these low temps won't hurt the battery, it.just cant deliver power.

You may also find it beneficial to set your charge to be based on your departure time. That way the charge will be delayed and the battery will be nice and toasty for your commute(from a "just" completed charge) otherwise it cools off as it cold soaks for a few hours after charging.

There was a fellow on here last winter from Winnipeg Manitoba Canada where it was also routinely getting that cold. He was not happy with the heater output and had the dealer add the plug-in engine heater from the 1.4 Cruze. Turns out it actually only warms the oil pan (unlike most traditional block heaters that warm the engine coolant) So he eventually put in a 120V circulating coolant heater that he swore by. Warming the cabin at the commencement of his commute was apparently much enhanced. I sent him information on to where to install the coolant heater, if you want the same info PM me.

Enjoy your Volt and welcome to gm-volt.com

Regards
WopOnTour

·
8,680 Posts
So he eventually put in a 120V circulating coolant heater that he swore by. Warming the cabin at the commencement of his commute was apparently much enhanced.
This sounds like an opportunity for an inexpensive but useful product enhancement. The Volt already has a very nice 6.5 kW heater in the coolant loop, an electric pump to circulate the coolant, and the ability to draw over 3kW from a 220V charger. A few programming switches, and it could have the most capable and flexible engine heater (or even just cabin coolant heater) on the market. Just need some menu options for heater behavior in cold climates or extension of the cabin preheat settings... :)

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
This sounds like an opportunity for an inexpensive but useful product enhancement. The Volt already has a very nice 6.5 kW heater in the coolant loop, an electric pump to circulate the coolant, and the ability to draw over 3kW from a 220V charger. A few programming switches, and it could have the most capable and flexible engine heater (or even just cabin coolant heater) on the market. Just need some menu options for heater behavior in cold climates or extension of the cabin preheat settings... :)
Haha dont think I hadnt thought of this. Turns out there's not a lot of cooperation on this end... ;)
Oh those wretched Romulans! (ie Romulus Michigan where a lot of powertrain software is developed)

WOT

·
Registered
31 Posts
Romulan p'tach! They are always causing problems for true Volt Warriors!

Kahplah!

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Kipp's Volt @ #1,

OMG, they don't call it "The Great White North" for nothing. You guys are the toughest of the tough IMHO.

I can't offer you any advice, as I live in SoCal where we go into shock if the temperature gets below freezing, LOL. Everything I know about Canada I learned from the McKenzie Brothers, eh?

Good luck and stay safe.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Haha dont think I hadnt thought of this. Turns out there's not a lot of cooperation on this end... ;)
Oh those wretched Romulans! (ie Romulus Michigan where a lot of powertrain software is developed)

WOT
Romulan software.. that explains a lot. Looks logical.. but it has deeper issues.

·
8,680 Posts
Romulan software.. that explains a lot. Looks logical.. but it has deeper issues.
That must be how they got such a silent, stealthy car - they spliced in Romulan cloaking device code!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone for your input. Most of it made me laugh as I would love to pack up and hang out in Arizona for the winter. (please, please, please win the lottery)
I have purchased and installed a set of 4 winter tires for the winter as I can't go without that purchase.
After many years here I must admit, I hate winter. Well, winter as a season not so much but I am tired of the extreme cold temperatures. I just can't take it anymore. :)
I will watch my tire pressure.
I have put in gas from Canada so that should have cleaned out all the California gas. (Stanley Cup Champions)
I am glad to hear the oil should be fine as I have 98% life still left on my oil.
I always carry an emergency kit, shovel, extra clothes, gloves, booster cables, tow rope... you name it I have it.
I really liked the idea of setting the departure time. I always wondered why my heat is cold at first after being in a garage overnight.

Again, thanks all and I still appreciate guidance and advice.

...coming from the Great White North where Santa visits first. (I thought that was funny)

Cheers all,
Kipp

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am not sure what PM is so hopefully you get this.
I would love any information you have on this 120V circulating coolant heater or how I can get a hold of the person from Winnipeg, Manitoba.
Thanks,
Kipp

1 - 15 of 15 Posts