GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Small aircraft use them.
Why not the Volt?
Improves aerodynamics, the Cruze Eco has them. Has to.... but is it measurable ??
Still plenty of air coming thru the upper 'Grill'. Protects the radiators during the winter season.
Cost a Buck and a Half! Water pipe foam insulation tubes.

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
Upper Grill - NOT

Sorry - There is no air flow through the phoney upper grill..... Very small air flow through the second one down. :) I would not mess with the lower one, except maybe to put a wide mesh screen over it if needed.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
VG,

Go out to your Volt with a flashlight. Shine it through the gaps in the lower of the two "Fake" things.
When I do I see radiators, top and bottom gap.

Plus, I monitor my engine coolant temp, ATF temp but not the 'Electronics' cooling circuit, yet. But when I touch the side of the inverter after a commute it is barely above ambient.
It's an efficient EV. Very little wasted heat production. Don't get me started about ERDDT.

Plus, I now get 2 miles more EV range! ..... (Not really). but I know the car is more aero and I'm protecting the radiators for the season.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Absolutely no change in indicated temps. That little engine does not warm up all the way in ERDDT anyway. Baby it's cold outside.
Absolutely just a theoretical improvement in aerodynamics. But like I said, the Cruze has this on the ECO model.
1/2" pipe insulation. Trim it with scissors where the vertical parts are. It just presses into place. If you lose one, no big deal.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Johnny,

Here's the mod you really need !!

Throw everything you can in the back of the Volt and head for Florida with the rest of the Snow Birds.

Don't forget the sunscreen !!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
819 Posts
Nice idea with these temperatures. If one were cautious, just use one piece of foam.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
This is SOP in the cold weather Prius community.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I just tried this. Seemed to work well.

It was ~12F outside this morning, but 28F in my detached garage. The temp displayed on the center screen usual drops quickly to the ambient temp. But now with the pipe insulation blocking most of the airflow, it only dropped 1-2F per minute. After my 10 minute, 4 mile commute, the temp sensor had only dropped to 16F. Good enough to avoid ERDTT.

And when the engine does run, this should allow me to make more dconomicsl use of the heat produced.

Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Trim it with scissors where the vertical parts are. It just presses into place. If you lose one, no big deal.
I have to strongly disagree with that. Even though you know it's foam and basically harmless, one of these coming off on the highway could fly up into the windshield of the car behind you, and even though you know it won't cause any damage, they wouldn't know that. It could cause a sudden high speed avoidance maneuver and a major accident. Find a way to secure them, please.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Will do.

Right after I lose one.

How on earth is it going to get away. Wind forces push more into place.
Hell, it's such a tight fit I'll need a screw driver or butter knife to get one out.
Give it a try! I'm getting vastly better aerodynamics.
Almost 5 miles extra range! jk

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
But GM did this to the Cruze Eco. Have you seen its electrically driven cowl flaps on the lower grill?
Why would they do that?

My Real Life Wind Tunnel is out on them lonely Interstate Highways.
I get an extra 7.5 miles of EV range at 101 mph indicated, which into a headwind is much higher Airspeed. Once again, JK.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Can you tell me the specs of what type of foam to purchase? Thanks

Small aircraft use them.
Why not the Volt?
Improves aerodynamics, the Cruze Eco has them. Has to.... but is it measurable ??
Still plenty of air coming thru the upper 'Grill'. Protects the radiators during the winter season.
Cost a Buck and a Half! Water pipe foam insulation tubes.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
flank,

Go down to your local Depot. There are two sizes. 1/2" pipe and 3/4" pipe, I think it is. Sorry I can't remember which size I used.
Anyone? I'll be breaking mine out for the season, as soon as my Volt gets out of the shop !
Buy one of each. They're a buck and a half!

And on my above posts: JK is "Just Kidding". Maybe that went over some....

·
Administrator
22,241 Posts
There are two sizes. 1/2" pipe and 3/4" pipe, I think it is. Sorry I can't remember which size I used.
Anyone? I'll be breaking mine out for the season, as soon as my Volt gets out of the shop !
Bonus! The dense, closed cell foam may act as an extra stone shield by slowing them down a bit before they impact the radiator. :)

·
Registered
819 Posts
1/2" pipe insulation is fine. I closed off the lower grill with two strips when temps were consistently low, then pulled off one when highs got into the 50's F. No problems, some benefits. Neither fell off either, even without ty-wraps. Will do the same this winter.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.