GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone been able to test a set of GM W-Body wheels on their first generation Volt? I have a lot of these wheels available in my area for reasonable prices. I am looking for a set of 16" wheels to install winter tires and I know some GM 5x115 wheels will fit but not all. Is this typically due to the offset? Is it wheel design and hitting the caliper?

·
Administrator
19,974 Posts

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
My wife's CTS has 17" rims that fit nicely. Alas, I went with brand new 18" sport edition p4's from TireRack (only $112 each plus $50 for new TPMS).then I put winter tires on my OEM wheels. Alas, last year was the first year ever that I've owned snow tires after going through snowageddon I and II, and in my area the snow tires wee only needed for about 12 hours on a snowy Sunday last winter. I'm tempted to sell them as I like snow, selling them guarantees we will get pummelled just like buying guaranteed a mild winter. Plus I absolutely predicted it on this forum when I bought them in December 2015

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not interested in buying larger 17" or 18" wheels for the winter. The smaller the rim, the better options I have for narrow grippy snow tires. Living off the great lakes we tend to get pounded with snow and I want to be prepared.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I'm not interested in buying larger 17" or 18" wheels for the winter. The smaller the rim, the better options I have for narrow grippy snow tires. Living off the great lakes we tend to get pounded with snow and I want to be prepared.
I'd bet you could not tell the difference between 16 & 17 inch wheels with winter tires.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Note that a Cadillac CTS 16" wheel is the correct bolt pattern and offset, but it is a bit wider than the Volt's original wheels and the inner lip will not clear the front strut - I tried this when I looked for wheels for snow tires for my 2014 (first generation) Volt.

For Joe67's info, people buy "minus 1" size snow tires for the greater sidewall height - protects against potholes better than lower profile (small sidewall) tires.

·
Registered
902 Posts
This week, I replaced my factory Goodyear tires with Michelin X-Ice for winter in the mountains. I should have a snow performance report within a few weeks, since we already have snow at 14,000 feet. With all of the summer precipitation this year, Colorado snowpack should be good this year if anyone is planning a vacation to the ski resorts.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
I replaced my factory GoodYears with Yokohama snow and ice tires. I was only able to use them once last year as we only had one major snowstorm. In that sample set of one, I've never felt so comfortable driving around in snow before. Although there was some wheelspin, it dropped like crazy compared to regular radials. I only wish I had more than 1 day of experience, but I knew full well that the first Time I'd buy snow tires, that was a guarantee of little to no snow - same goes with power outages and buying a generator.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
549 Posts
I can help, I did all the research on this last year. The W body 16s will fit, but the caliper is REALLY close on the steel wheel. I bought a pair of billet 5mm spacers to give a little more clearance. I'll post pics when I do the winter swap in a couple of months.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Replying to my own thread because I did end up finding a set of Oldsmobile Intrigue 16 inch wheels to run for the winter. The spoke design hits up front without a spacer, but a 5mm spacer clears that right up and the studs are long enough for good engagement. I was able to run the Olds center caps by buying the lug nuts with external threads from an Intrigue.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
549 Posts
As I posted earlier, I also went with the 5mm billet spacers. Mounted them up last week, fit is perfect, center bore is still supported by the axle hub. Steelies, though, not the nice aluminum ones up top.

·
Registered
412 Posts
If I break down and use 16 inch W body wheels with 5mm spacers, what size tires should I buy? I have a MY2012 with the stock 215/55/17 Goodyears and would prefer Michelins (I have two other vehicles with X-ice tires although the Dunlop Graspics on my old Ranger ride more smoothly than the all season Michelins I run in the summer. Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
As I posted earlier, I also went with the 5mm billet spacers. Mounted them up last week, fit is perfect, center bore is still supported by the axle hub. Steelies, though, not the nice aluminum ones up top.
Ugh, I can't get over how I don't like the look of 16s pictured above and the thought of steelies really puts a knot in my stomach. I recommend the opposite. Go with 18s for your regular wheel/tires and put snow and ice tires on your OEM 17s the just avoid the potholes and stay far, far away from curbs.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
549 Posts
No one looks at wheels in the winter up here. Everyone runs black steel wheels. Function over form, not to mention that 16s are much less expensive and offer more choices for rubber. The shiny stuff is saved for the other three seasons.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
No one looks at wheels in the winter up here. Everyone runs black steel wheels. Function over form, not to mention that 16s are much less expensive and offer more choices for rubber. The shiny stuff is saved for the other three seasons.
I guess you're right. My polished OEM wheels ended up packed in snow during snowageddon 1 and 2. I'm currently debating with myself about when to put the snow tires on as I've been told they wear quickly on dry pavement. So far they've only been on my car for 30 hours and about 300 miles last year.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
549 Posts
Snows don't wear down quickly on dry pavement, they wear quickly on dry WARM pavement. If it's below 40f, snows are a good choice. That's what the compounds are designed for.

I hear you with the polished wheels. Ours has that option as well, and I was cleaning them frequently by hand last winter. I was stressed that the salt would hurt them. Glad to get them stored for this winter.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Snows don't wear down quickly on dry pavement, they wear quickly on dry WARM pavement. If it's below 40f, snows are a good choice. That's what the compounds are designed for.

I hear you with the polished wheels. Ours has that option as well, and I was cleaning them frequently by hand last winter. I was stressed that the salt would hurt them. Glad to get them stored for this winter.
I hope to plastidip mine White to protect them from road grime and salt. Alas, a new set of wheels only cost me about $600. I'm not going to worry about it too much.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Blizzaks installed. Snow targeting Milwaukee for the weekend will now, I'm sure, stay north of Sheboygan and it'll be a dry remainder of the winter.

Now I've got about three months to decide if I want new wheels for summer (and leave the winter ones on the painted five-spokes) or do I want to try to find steels for *next* year. I apparently missed the week this year when inexpensive wheels that fit Gen 1s were sold because everything seems to be a hundred bucks a wheel now, instead of the $40-50 I was expecting.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Replying to my own thread because I did end up finding a set of Oldsmobile Intrigue 16 inch wheels to run for the winter. The spoke design hits up front without a spacer, but a 5mm spacer clears that right up and the studs are long enough for good engagement. I was able to run the Olds center caps by buying the lug nuts with external threads from an Intrigue.

I actually like those but am not a fan of spacers personally. Not able to find a cheap set of OEM 17" wheels for my 2012 locally, may resort to just ordering steelies via ebay.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts