GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have ordered rims and winter tires, TOYO Gsi-5 205/60R16, for my volt which i am picking up on Saturday. When i put on the winters later, i am guessing the display will be warning me of the fact there is no TPMS being picked up? Can anyone comment on their experience with driving winter tires without TPMS?

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
A message will pop up for a couple seconds each time you start the car. A tad annoying. Also a dash light. Didn't really bother me enough to care. Check your tire pressures regularly.

·
Registered
322 Posts
A message will pop up for a couple seconds each time you start the car. A tad annoying. Also a dash light. Didn't really bother me enough to care. Check your tire pressures regularly.
Does it prevent useage of the whole information display area? Lexus had that issue which made the center screen unuseable because the warning had to be cleared constantly.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Since you are in Canada I can't speak much to the legal specifics but It might be worth your time to double check the Canadian laws regarding TPMS.

They have relaxed them some here in the states with regards to aftermarket rims and so-forth but in some states (and Virginia is one) you can still get an annoying ticket for "improper equipment" if your TPSM isn't working and the error display is on your dash if you get pulled over.

It'd suck to run afoul of something similar in Canadian rules and regs.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Since you are in Canada I can't speak much to the legal specifics but It might be worth your time to double check the Canadian laws regarding TPMS.

They have relaxed them some here in the states with regards to aftermarket rims and so-forth but in some states (and Virginia is one) you can still get an annoying ticket for "improper equipment" if your TPSM isn't working and the error display is on your dash if you get pulled over.

It'd suck to run afoul of something similar in Canadian rules and regs.
TPMS is not required. My Cruze doesn't have it. My Volvo has it as a user de-activated option. Installers don't care. Since we have mandatory winter tires, and many people run two sets of wheels, no one cares about TPMS here.

·
Administrator
19,980 Posts
My winter wheels came with TPMS, which I prefer. The extra money was not that great.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How big is the TPMS error? How much in canada for TPMS sensors for Gen 2 car?

Wehn i spoke with the tire dealer, she mentioned it is not law yet to install TPMS on winter tires, but believes it will someday be legislated here in Ontario to "maintain safety systems car was installed with". Hell I just use a pressure gauge for my dodge ram and VW golf....

·
Registered
384 Posts
Those are good for 2016s, but won't work on 2017s because they're the wrong frequency. For 2017s, 13598773 is the correct part number.

Of all the things you could get a ticket for, a TPMS light seems to be about the least likely. JMO...

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
552 Posts
Wow, another old face from the Impala days! Hi Bully.

While using the school shop Snap On scanner the other day to relearn a new set of sensors, I just discovered that you can adjust the pressure that the computer looks for. So, for winter, set it to zero, and your light will not come on. Reset in the spring.

·
Registered
61 Posts
How easy is it to program the tpms sensors for the car or will I have to take it to the dealer? Also will the car 'remember' the other tires or will those have to be reprogrammed again?

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
552 Posts
It's easy. You don't program the sensors, though, you program the car. You need a tool to do it. You need to do it every time you swap the tires.

·
Registered
384 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts