GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have purchased a spare set of stock wheels and I am looking for feedback on winter tires (215 55 17).

General Altima Arctic 94Q $351.72 - the low price leader!
goodyear ultra grip winter $434.52
yokohama ice guard IG52C $442.96
continental winter control $458.96
Blizzak ws80 94H $530.52

i still have to buy TPMS kit and have them mounted.

Any one have any thoughts?
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
I have yokohama ice guard IC52s, which I think are terrific tires, but I went with a set of 16" rims instead of 17's so that I would have a narrower contact patch and higher tread loading. The others I can't comment on in their current iterations. Many years ago I went through a set of Blizzak WS 50's, over 4 winters: they drove like I had Velcro hooks the road on in icy conditions. on a different car I went through a set of Michelin Artic Alpin's over several years, and they were terrific in freshly fallen and falling snow, and smoother on dry pavement than the blizzak's. both of those tires have been improved in subsequent generations.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I purchased the Michelin X-Ice for the upcoming winter in the mountains. I am very happy with how they are riding on dry pavement and should experience wet, slippery snow within a month. Michelin X-Ice has excellent reviews.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have had Michelin X-Ice on my 2014 for 2 winters and they grip great in all conditions and there is very little loss of electric range when I switch. They are also much quieter and more progressive in the turns than the Blizzaks I use on my other car.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I have purchased a spare set of stock wheels and I am looking for feedback on winter tires (215 55 17).

Blizzak ws80 94H $530.52

Thanks.
Based on that list, Blizzak. That is what I'm going with this winter.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Recommendations for Winter Tires

If studded tires are not illegal in your area try the (Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8) tires. They're awesome tires considering some of the crazy conditions I experience up here in NorthWestern Ontario. They clatter a bit driving on bare pavement but they're pretty much unbeatable in deep snow and ice. Whatever you do thou, swap out the "All Season" Fuel Saver tires that come with the Volt and save them ONLY for summer use. Although I survived a winter with them, they're pretty much deathtraps in the snow.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
When (if) we get snow or ice in DFW, I just work from home until it goes away. Usually 24 hours is more than enough. Of course the 140F road temp in summer lasts a lot longer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
tire rack has those altimas for $285 after rebate. Hard to pass that up.
Thanks,
Most of those prices are indeed from TireRack and the prices I quoted included the shipping. I like Tire Buyer as well but I end up paying sales tax on those purchases :(

Anyone have the General Altima Arctic and can tell me about any range issues?

·
Registered
483 Posts

Blizzak ws80 94H $530.52

Thanks.
Isn't the OEM size 215/50R17? Will the 55s fit?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've used Nokian Hakkapeliitta (not studded) on my Saab and my VW, and found them to be awesome when new. With light snow, it's like there's no snow on the ground. As with all tires, they get worse over the years, but I tend to use them for four years in lower New England.

Tire Rack does not sell them, however.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have yokohama ice guard IC52s, which I think are terrific tires, but I went with a set of 16" rims instead of 17's so that I would have a narrower contact patch and higher tread loading. The others I can't comment on in their current iterations. Many years ago I went through a set of Blizzak WS 50's, over 4 winters: they drove like I had Velcro hooks the road on in icy conditions. on a different car I went through a set of Michelin Artic Alpin's over several years, and they were terrific in freshly fallen and falling snow, and smoother on dry pavement than the blizzak's. both of those tires have been improved in subsequent generations.
What did you go with for 16" rims? I am currently shopping for winter tires/wheels for a 2012, and have read that a lot of 16" wheels have clearance issues. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
274 Posts
digging around online I found nothing but great reviews of the generals, that and the price tag I'm pickng a set up from tire rack tomorrow. I'll install probably in December or so. So with tax it cost me $420 for 4 tires, plus I get a $50 visa card now from tire rack, a $50 card from general, AND a $50 gift card for new tires next spring valid at tire rack. Can't pass that up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts