GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will have to store my 2013 for 2-3 months this winter as I have a combination of likely heavy snow and a steep access road. Plus less useful electric range in the cold. Have an AWD Suzuki SX4 as the winter car.

Any suggestions on storage parameters? Leave plugged in all the time? Possible flat spots on tires?

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
I will have to store my 2013 for 2-3 months this winter as I have a combination of likely heavy snow and a steep access road. Plus less useful electric range in the cold. Have an AWD Suzuki SX4 as the winter car.

Any suggestions on storage parameters? Leave plugged in all the time? Possible flat spots on tires?
Any "flat spots" from only a couple of months will rapidly work out once the tires start getting used again. But yes, I'd leave it plugged in and consider that the small amount of power it consumes keeping the battery in readiness a small price for that actual readiness if you DO decide to use it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Going to bump this thread as I don't find other commentary on the subject. I have read that LI ion batteries should be long term stored at 40% capacity. Don't mind leaving it plugged in at the 8A rate but is this best for the battery to keep at 100%? What about battery temperature when outside temps are 0 - 30 F?

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Going to bump this thread as I don't find other commentary on the subject. I have read that LI ion batteries should be long term stored at 40% capacity. Don't mind leaving it plugged in at the 8A rate but is this best for the battery to keep at 100%? What about battery temperature when outside temps are 0 - 30 F?
Volt batteries are not charged to 100% ever. They're charged to about 80% at most, and discharged to about 30some%. That's why a 16kwh battery yields only 10kwh usable. And a Volt that's plugged in can run the thermal management system to warm up the battery in cold temperatures. A Volt that isn't can't.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I personally like the notion of running it down to 40% and storing it unplugged. But it should be fine either way.

Another concern is your 12 V battery. This is the one likely to give you trouble. Hopefully you will charge it periodically. Putting the car in transport mode will help reduce drain.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts