GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i will be storing the volt for 2-3 months below 32 degrees, at times below zero. What do i need to do to store the volt. Please advise :)

·
8,680 Posts
The Volt always likes to be plugged in. But really, it'll be fine. The 12V battery might be an issue - not for damage, but because it might be drained in that sort of time.

If you're in a situation where it could be plugged in, the "15 minute charge" technique would carry you ~40 days with wall charging of the 12V and TMS management of battery temps.

(Scott came up with this idea a few months back - you use the car's variable rate scheduling to give it a single 15 minute window it can charge in every day (by setting it to only charge off peak and making that the only off peak period,) because while it is charging it charges the 12V, too.)

If you can't plug in, you may want to consider removing the 12V battery, but WopOnTour can probably advise you better.

·
Administrator
20,804 Posts
the "15 minute charge" technique

(Scott came up with this idea a few months back -
I second the "ScottF 15 Minute Workout" Volt fitness routine!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Plug it in!

The battery temperature will be maintained for max life when plugged in, even when not charging.

EVs should always be plugged in when parked for extended periods.

GSP

·
Registered
513 Posts
Do not plug it in. We have stored our Volt for 2 Detroit winters in our unheated garage. We know a top GM engineer on the Volt project. Both he and *** on tour have the same recommendation. Store the car with the main battery down on charge to where the ICE comes on. If you can put a trickle charger on the 12 volt battery that is best. If you cant, remove one or both battery cables and close the trunk with a rag over the latch. This prevents the latch from locking the hatch down. If it latches you must crawl over the back seats, pop off the plastic cover that is centered below the plastic window on the deck lid. Now you can put a straight screwdriver in that hole and rotate it to unlatch the lid. This will give you access to those battery cables that you removed. The trickle charger is a much better idea. After 2 stored winters our Volt came to life perfectly both springs.

This procedure is the recommended method from GM and it works.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I would agree on the 12V trickle charger, but I don't see any harm in keeping the Volt plugged in as well.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I think I know the answer to my question but correct me if I'm wrong.

Why would you store a car during the winter?

Do you have to drive a different vehicle because of deep snow or something? I'm reading this thread and can't get my head around the concept of storing a car for months.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I think I know the answer to my question but correct me if I'm wrong.

Why would you store a car during the winter?

Do you have to drive a different vehicle because of deep snow or something? I'm reading this thread and can't get my head around the concept of storing a car for months.
Snowbirds?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Snowbird

That is correct, my car is in northern Wisconsin. I am in florida for the winter. Correct me if I am wrong does not the volt keep the battery warm. Automatically with the battery. I am new to the volt am learning from this forum

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
How about a 12.5V trickle charger :)

We generally all agree trickle charger process will work JUST get a good one that has set points and works for AGM lead acid battery.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
That is correct, my car is in northern Wisconsin. I am in florida for the winter. ...
OK. Makes sense. I guess my vision of a Snowbird usually involves a 35-footer or larger dragging a vehicle. But I guess they have to decide which one to bring.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Snowbirds is the correct answer, so is don't plug it in...We need WOT to chime in here to support my method of storage for winter months. He is one of 2 experts that told me to do it this way. This process has worked perfectly for the last two winters.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Snowbirds is the correct answer, so is don't plug it in...We need WOT to chime in here to support my method of storage for winter months. He is one of 2 experts that told me to do it this way. This process has worked perfectly for the last two winters.

What harm comes from plugging it for 2 months?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Do whatever you want, but the factory guys say to store the Volt with the main battery depleted to the 20% point.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I think, that in his first post maynard told, to deplete the battery until the ICE comes on. When that happens, the true battery State Of Charge is at 22%.
I don't think he meant it to leave it with 2 bars remaining on the battery monitor.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I would be tempted to find a nearby college student that could use the vehicle a couple of times a month over the winter.

A Volt hidden away in a garage is an unhappy Volt, even if it's cold outside. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
On page 10-26 of my '12 Volt owner's manual there is a "Vehicle Storage" heading.

For extended storage it recommends removing the 12 volt negative battery cable or using a trickle charger.

Additionally, it has you store the high voltage battery with 1/2 charge or less.

And it says to always store the vehicle in an environment between -10 C (14 F) and 30 C (86 F).

I only found this info in the manual after calling my Volt rep. Unfortunately, you won't find any reference to vehicle storage in the index.

Steve

1 - 20 of 23 Posts