GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had my 2012 Chevy volt for two weeks now. I’ve had ranges after a charge vary from 36 miles to 29 miles. The temps are getting colder (averaging around 32 degrees)(I do charge my car in a well insulated garage) I’m wondering what others of you have experienced with your winter range after a charge? Does it drop? How much? What do you average in the summer? Should I be concerned? Thanks for the help.

·
Administrator
20,215 Posts
A range drop into the low 30's in winter in normal,

The air is denser, there is traction loss on the road, lubricants are stiffer, you are burning electrons for heat and defrosting. Also make sure your tire pressure is not low due to the temperature drops. Keep them at least at 38PSI year round. I keep mine at 41.

Your driving style will also affect range. Fast starts, fast stops are inefficient. The green ball on the drivers dash will help you with this.

Your range will increase when spring and summer arrive.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. The tire tip is helpful. I’m referring to the mile range when you first get into the car after a complete charge. Does this drop for you in the winter? If so how much? Thanks

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yes, as Steverino said, using HVAC, driving habits, tire PSI, all will deplete the battery more quickly and the battery is just not as efficient in colder temps.

Now, throw on a set of winter tires, and you'll really nose dive. I primarily drive my car on a long (77 mile) commute every work day. When it was warmer, I was getting 50-51 MPG on gas and at least 45-48 miles on the battery. Now, I'm averaging 33 mpg on gas and 33-35 miles on a full battery. I don't do a ton of city driving and on my weekend I can usually make it on a single charge since I don't drive the Volt much.

·
Administrator
20,215 Posts

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Range drop depends on where you live. Summer driving 24C -28C (75F - 80F) with fan and some A/C most often on Eco Mode the GOM on full charge was 70 Km. (43.5 miles)

Winter driving (now) 6C (43F) with heat to make cabin temp not cold but not warm with a few shots of window defrost (especially when the sun's not shining dropped to 57K (35.5 Miles) or a little lower.

On M&S tires all the time, don't need winter tires (no snow except for a couple days whereby I don't drive) as these are legal in the only highway stretch needing winter tires (Malahat).

So a 35F degree drop in temp using a little heat with other factors being the same can drop GOM 25%. Going well into the minuses could well drop 40% but I never get to those conditions so I have no data on that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts