GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the range on winter is bad but that bad?
Last night I fully charge my Ampera when I saw 52km of range. That time outside temperature was 5 degrese celsius and I drove 10km with seat heated and no heat in the cabin. On return range showed 40km. This morning was -5c and I preheat my car, not completely, like 7 min (not charged over night, only what was remained from the oher night - 40km range) so when I start the car range was already down to 32km. I turn on the ICE for 1 km to warm a little and then back to Normal. My morning comute is about 16km so after this 16km my range 5km.
I never get more than 72km of range and I purchase my car one year ago at 15.000km so almost new.
Please tell me your range experience on cold winter and maximum range you obtain and in what condition.
Thank you.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I know the range on winter is bad but that bad?
Last night I fully charge my Ampera when I saw 52km of range. That time outside temperature was 5 degrese celsius and I drove 10km with seat heated and no heat in the cabin. On return range showed 40km. This morning was -5c and I preheat my car, not completely, like 7 min (not charged over night, only what was remained from the oher night - 40km range) so when I start the car range was already down to 32km. I turn on the ICE for 1 km to warm a little and then back to Normal. My morning comute is about 16km so after this 16km my range 5km.
I never get more than 72km of range and I purchase my car one year ago at 15.000km so almost new.
Please tell me your range experience on cold winter and maximum range you obtain and in what condition.
Thank you.
Assuming you have a Gen I Volt, mine would get 50-60 km in real winter conditions, say between 0 C and -10C when the ERDTT kicks in and extends the range. I had the luxury of preheat while connected to a 3.3KW charger and the car was garaged.
What brand of tires are on your car?

·
Registered
508 Posts
When it gets below freezing, -10 to 0 C, I get 40-50 km in my 2014 Volt. This usually is enough for all day, so I installed a resistor to defeat the horrible ERDTT feature.

I pre-heat the cabin without using the battery by turning on the car and setting the heat on ECO with fan speed at 3. This keeps the power used below the 3.3 kW my 240 VAC home connection provides.

I usually keep the heat on at low temp (18 C) and fan speed at 1 while driving, using the seat heaters at 3, and heated gloves.

GSP

PS 30 km could be normal, even without heat, if you take the expressway and drive at higher speeds or drive in a snowstorm. I avoid using my brakes by working the traffic lights and using only regen when I must slow down. I also drive on streets with 60 kph and lowerlower speed limits.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
30kms could be normal if your auto defog is enabled and you are driving at higher speeds and/or on roads that could give you high rolling resistance (snowy, gravel etc..). Also winter rated tires will give you an additional 10% drop in EV range.

In my 2013 Volt I with the cabin heat off I would typically get 45 - 50kms running the stock tires at -5C on clear paved roads. If I needed to run the defog to keep the windows clear and it was snowy out my range would drop to ~35kms.

You may also want to consider getting your car mechanically inspected. If a brake caliper is sticking or wheel alignment is out (among may other possible issues) it can also cause a hit in your EV range.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't specify I just change tires with winter tires (Nokian WR D3) and drive only in city, clear road, max 70km/h on L shift.
Is the 10 min preheating make much difference?
I usualy put on Hold mode until heating the cabin then normal but also take 10 km range out of battery.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
10 minute preconditioning can use up to about a full kwh, so that plus the amount of power that the car will use warming up the batteries from overnight could easily eat 10km of range. Keeping the battery charged to the top of where the Volt/Ampera is designed to is best overall, so plug it in every night that you can, even if it doesn't seem like it needs it.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I didn't specify I just change tires with winter tires (Nokian WR D3) and drive only in city, clear road, max 70km/h on L shift.
I usualy put on Hold mode until heating the cabin then normal but also take 10 km range out of battery.
With winter tires, sounds about right.
They're much less efficient than the standard equipment tires.

Additionally, having your vehicle unplugged for long periods of time at -5 means there is also quite a bit of energy required to heat the battery up for optimum use. If you leave it plugged in overnight, it will maintain this temperature automatically on its own.
If unplugged, it has to use energy stored in the battery to heat itself up, which is even less you have to drive with.
Typically people only have to deal with this on one side of their trip, but having it on both sides means extra low range.

A remote start while cold will be pulling probably 6-8kW for those 10min, between the cabin heater (6kW), the battery heater (1.8kw), the vehicle base computer load (0.2-0.4kW) and the fan blower (0.1-0.5kW).
That's 10-15% of your battery capacity in just 10 minutes.

Standard winter operation - plug in whenever possible and keep it plugged in even when charge complete. It will take care of itself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts