GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about getting a Volt but have a question. I park my car at the airport 4 days a week in Denver where it can get sub zero. Can this car be parked not plugged in outdoors for extended periods like a week?

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Yes, but it will run on gas power when very cold. There is the advertised engine running due to temperature that runs engine for cabin heat, but also a deep cold ERDTT that basically runs on gas only power until the battery is warm enough to provide power. On those cold winter days it will basically run like a gas car.

The only time you would be stranded is if the high was sub -10f or so and the night before was in the -30f range or colder. Basically the battery freezes around -20f or so if not plugged in, but is well insulated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will it consume power to keep the battery warm all week while I'm out of town? What happens if the charge runs completely out while parked outside? Possible battery damage?

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
No, it does not maintain battery, although it can cool it if it gets too hot. No battery damage. Unlike Tesla or Leaf it doesn't really need to prevent the battery from getting too cold since it has the ICE. Only real temporary issue would be if it froze, but I don't think that has actually happened to anyone yet. The deep cold mode is a bit annoying, but mostly if cold soaked below 10 f or so (don't know exact temp).

·
Registered
907 Posts
Volts never completely deplete their Lithium Ion battery. Like any other car, the risk is more to the +12V lead acid battery, rather than the traction battery. And Volts +12V battery doesn't have to crank the engine. Only needs to start the computers. Then it will decide if ICE (or resistive heat) is needed for warmth. The Lithium cells hold charge much longer than +12V lead acid batteries.

ICE is the internal combustion engine.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I forget and use acronyms here all the time :)

So yeah, if you leave it parked at the airport for 4 days, when you go to start it and the battery is very cold it will fire up the engine right away and run one of the electric motors from electricity generated by the other electric motor (run as a generator from the gas engine). At these low temps (much below 15 f) the battery has a hard time supplying enough power.

If it is warmer, but still below freezing, the engine will only start intermittently for cabin heat. You can instruct it to do this below 15f or 35f (25f on my 2012).

Only if the battery freezes (cold soaked to below -20f) would the vehicle not be able to start. Battery would be fine when it warms. High temps can damage them, low temps are fjne.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
http://www.flydenver.com/traveler_services/computerphone-charging

Electric Vehicle Charging Stations

The airport has a total of 10 "Level 1" electric vehicle charging stations available in both the East and West Garages, Levels 1, rows E and F (five on each side). In addition, their are 10 new "Level 2" charging stations in the West Garage on Level 1, Rows E and F. These spaces have designated Electric Charging Station signs and are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Standard parking rates apply.
Five Electric Vehicle Charging Stations available in the East Garage (Level 1, Rows E and F)
Five Level 1 Electric Vehicle Charging Stations available in the West Garage (Level 1, Rows E and F)
10 Level 2 Electric Vehicle Charging Stations available in the West Garage (Level 1, Rows E and F)

Do those EV spots at Denver International usually get ICEd?:confused:

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Thinking about getting a Volt but have a question. I park my car at the airport 4 days a week in Denver where it can get sub zero. Can this car be parked not plugged in outdoors for extended periods like a week?
Yes.* We were unable to charge the car for months not long after we owned it.

·
Registered
25 Posts

The airport has a total of 10 "Level 1" electric vehicle charging stations available in both the East and West Garages, Levels 1, rows E and F (five on each side). In addition, their are 10 new "Level 2" charging stations in the West Garage on Level 1, Rows E and F. These spaces have designated Electric Charging Station signs and are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Standard parking rates apply.
Five Electric Vehicle Charging Stations available in the East Garage (Level 1, Rows E and F)
Five Level 1 Electric Vehicle Charging Stations available in the West Garage (Level 1, Rows E and F)
10 Level 2 Electric Vehicle Charging Stations available in the West Garage (Level 1, Rows E and F)

The above listed options seem great, but I wanted to add this third party parking option for EVs. I haven't used this parking service at DIA, but it may work better for long term parking: http://canopyairportparking.com/green-parking/juice-bar-ev-charging-stations/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll have to look. I can't imagine parking at a charger for 4 days????

Do those EV spots at Denver International usually get ICEd?

·
Registered
251 Posts

If the OP plugged into a Level 1 and left the car for four days, would that be allowed?

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
If the OP plugged into a Level 1 and left the car for four days, would that be allowed?
Why wouldn't it? Most people in a garage at an airport are parking for days; if they want a special "park for only hours" garage, they'll have it signed so, and usually charge appropriately to keep the turnover happening.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
My 2013 survived 4 days parked outdoors in the coldest weather central Michigan has ever had (-25 on the drive to the airport, doubt the temperature ever got above 10-12F the whole time). Started up like a champ but as noted it ran on gasoline till the battery warmed, like 10 minutes or so. I was "deeply concerned" while away but it turned out to be no big deal.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Zero issues. Some Volts are never plugged in for years without issue. Drive on :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts