GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am considering purchasing a 2017 Volt with Range extender. Most of my Driving is done in Ottawa, but make 2-3 trips a month from Ottawa to Sudbury lasting about 5.5hr of drive time. Sometimes in winter it is -30C on these trips depending on weather.
Would those of you have any concerns with a volt on these drives? Any issues with frozen fuel lines, or inability to keep up power?
If it wasn't for these long drives I'd have it now, but wanted to check with current owners if they would have any concerns over these longer duration trips in poor weather.
Thank you for any assistance or advice you may have.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Coldest I've driven my 2013 Volt was -16 F and it was left outside all day in below ZERO temps. The car performed just like any other car I have owned.

GM does extensive cold weather testing. Just don't expect to get anywhere near the EPA rating from the battery. On that day I drove 22 miles R/T and left it OUT all day while I was at work and I used up the entire battery. The ICE operated for about half of those 22 miles.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
546 Posts
As someone from Ottawa: You'll have zero issues. Just keep it gassed up. Get a good set of snow tires, and forget about trying to max range on really cold days.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Because the engine will be running anyway on longer trips, and the engine produces plenty of waste heat just like any ICE engine, there will be plenty of cabin heating and battery pack heating available. Should be no problem.

Where you will notice a big hit in performance is in the shorter local trips that are normally done on battery, or battery plus a little gas use for heating. Your electric range will tank in really cold weather. That is not necessarily a problem since the range extender will take over, but you will be driving on gas more at those times.

·
4,850 Posts
What you describe is the perfect use case for a Volt. A lot of gas-free driving and some occasional longer trips.

Keep it plugged in whenever you can, which will help keep the battery temperature optimal for when you go to use it. But even if you can't always keep it plugged in, the Volt performs very well in cold weather and you shouldn't have an issue any more than any other normal vehicle. Oh, and get four good snow tires for the winter. They really make the car handle fantastically.

The only thing to note is that the Volt will run its engine even during "short" drives when temperatures dip below -9C or 2C (depending on user setting) to heat the cabin up more quickly than what could be done on resistance heat alone. In these scenarios the engine will run for a bit, turn off, and repeat as needed. So that's the one "surprise" mode where the Volt will burn gas even when there is charge in the battery, but it still burns far less gas than any other hybrid or plugin hybrid.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
The coldest I've had my Gen1 was an upstate NY visit for 3 days dropping down to about -20 F at night (-29 C). Other than a lot of ERDTT it just behaved like any other car.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I can tell you the Gen I Volt performed like a champ at -25F. In extreme winter conditions the pure EV range will be negligible on a 500km roadtrip so I would just put the car in hold mode from the start.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I've run my 2013 Volt in -30C weather. It ran better than most gas powered cars. It should be no problem.

Note GM does it's cold weather testing in Kapuskasing, Ontario which is probably your neck of the woods. So the Volt was literally designed and tested for you!

·
2,356 Posts
Only thing to keep in mind is that it's best to keep in plugged in. If left outside in -30C weather for a few days, the battery might get too cold and won't allow the car to start until it's plugged in to warm up.

I think the coldest I've driven in was -34C during the polar vortex.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Only thing to keep in mind is that it's best to keep in plugged in. If left outside in -30C weather for a few days, the battery might get too cold and won't allow the car to start until it's plugged in to warm up
Sage advice for our northern friends.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Our Volt has held its own during our Wisconsin winters and yours will too. I agree with the suggestion of keeping it plugged in.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Can someone clarify: does the 12V battery charge whenever the car is plugged in and charging, or only when the ignition is on?
It can vary by year. I think you have a 2013. That one charges under the following conditions:
1) whenever the car is on, or
2) whenever the traction battery is charging, or
3) if the car is off, plugged in, and not charging, then the car will periodically do a maintenance charge on the 12 V battery to keep it topped off. This will continue for a month, but then I think it stops after that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts