GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
21,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Like removing the rear seat headrests, it's easy to remove the wiper blades if you know how, a frustration if you don't.

Removing the Wiper Blade - The Button
To remove the blade on the drivers side, press the rectangular button on the top of the assembly. Slide the blade outwards until it stops, angle the blade back (toward you) at about a 45° angle and slide it out.

So removing is push button, pull, rotate 45°, remove.

Windshield Vehicle door Glass Automotive window part Vehicle Vehicle door Auto part Hand Bumper Windshield Bumper Helmet Eyewear Wire Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle door Auto part Trunk

·
Administrator
21,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Installing A Wiper Blade - The Tab
If you look closely at the underside of the arm, there is a tab sticking out of one side (when the wipers are at rest, this tab is toward the bottom of the windshield). A flashlight may help. This tab is what can frustrate you. It needs to slide into a slot in the wiper blade and can only do so when the blade is inserted at an angle, rather than inserted straight into the "C" channel as you might otherwise try to do.

Installing a new blade consists of inserting at 45°, rotate, push. To insert a new blade, insert at the same angle, making sure the tab on the underside of the arm is riding in the mating slot in the blade. Push in a bit, then rotate the blade so its now parallel to the arm, push in until the button snaps into place.

Material property Auto part Bicycle wheel Wheel

·
Administrator
21,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The OEM part numbers are 22742323 (Left) & 22742324 (Right).

·
Registered
985 Posts
Is the replacement blade available aftermarket? Autozone walmart, or is it still a dealer item?
what does a set cost $?

thanks for posting the removal info Steverino, very helpful.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
I went with a set of Rain-X Latitude 8-in-1 26" blades - and figured it out in the auto parts parking lot. The button release was the easy part.

Most places online sell them for about $16, like Car ID.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
The blades are made by Bosch, so just get Bosch or Bosch-like blades. Delco offers replacement blades, too.

·
Registered
139 Posts
My own note.

I bought some Rain-x Latitude and used this handy guide by the OP to take them off but then came the hard part. Installing the new Rain-x ones. Took me 1.5hrs and a 2nd trip to look for "better/easier" to install. I watch some videos online on the PTB style are and messed with them forever. So I give up and search online again. Go back to the Rain-x site and while I watched the 1st video I didn't watch the 2nd.

Why? Well mine were in the "straight" package not the "curved" package as the videos noted and showed a pic. But I decided to watch the 2nd and it instantly made sense thanks to the OP and having stared at the arm forever.

Here is the video from the Rain-x site that will make installing Rain-x Latitude replacements. Once I saw the first 10sec it all came together and I had both done in 2min or less.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ21dZirBWY

·
Registered
372 Posts
Thanks for this write up. I just installed a set of oem blades and it was easy once I realized that I had to take off the fitting that was on the blade and replace it with one (B) that came in the container as a separate piece of plastic.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well - this seems fairly easy to do. Thank you for the images showing how to change the blades. I think I'll NOT give the dealer the $65 to do it!

·
Registered
927 Posts
Could you put the OEM part numbers in your instructions?

With those #'s you can find them easily on, say ebay, for much less than the dealer quoted me.
22742323 (Left) & 22742324 (Right).

·
Registered
927 Posts
22742323 is the left hand blade.
Thanks.

It bears repeating that the OEM blades have Aero properties that generic blades either ignore or get wrong for one side.

Some have reported chatter at road speeds due to one of these factors:

A) Lack of aero entirely.
B) Only one side providing down force, while the other side actually provides lift.

·
Registered
50 Posts
In general the top edge where the arm attaches to the OEM style blades sit about 1/2"-3/4" closer to the window than the universal fit aftermarket blades due to the additional adapters.

I will be replacing my chunky aftermarket ones with OEM blades in a year or so as I just replaced them with the Goodyear blades from Costco. They work well and were only $15 for the pair but I don't like the look as much.

·
Registered
1 Posts
On the first rain after buying my 2012 Volt, I discovered just how badly the wiper blades needed replacing. I bought a pair of Bosch ICON 26OE blades for my Volt at about $28 each from a local auto parts store. They looked identical to the factory blade and I hadn't yet realized that the wiper arms for this car require mirror-image blades.

The Bosch ICON blades have the same aerodynamic profile as the OEM parts, and are aligned to match the driver's side blade. That one installed easily. I struggled for a long time trying to reverse the bracket for the passenger's side, and eventually realized it was never going to happen.

After a belated trip to the Internet, I discovered the need for two different blades. Having removed both Bosch blades from the packaging, I decided it wasn't worth bothering with a return trip. Instead, I set aside the second blade and ordered two factory passenger-side (right) blades, part number 22742324. I got them for $23 each on Amazon.com.

So, now I have my next replacement set on hand... In the future, I plan to avoid aftermarket blades and stick with the factory replacements. I tried those Costco blades on my last car (a Prius) and was very disappointed. If it costs an extra $8 over the cheap generic blades for the OEM parts, I'm happy to pay it and not fiddle with adapters and lesser contact with the glass.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Kaiser why did you do that? I also bought the Bosch Icon 26OE blades as the factory wipers are more expensive here from the dealer.
Dealer wanted 35$ each and I payed 26$ each for the Icon. I forgot that the stock wipers are right -left specific and tought Bosch had reversible bracket since they said it was compatible with the volt.

When I went to install them I realized the right side would be reversed so I looked at the wiper and reversed the base bracket of the wiper. But the plastic is shaped so that the spoiler goes into the base. When you reverse it, the base doesn't clip because the spoiler prevents it. So I trimmed the back portion of the spoiler edge with a sharp exacto knife on both sides and it works perfect. I trimmed about 5-10mm. You just have to trim it enough so that when the wiper is flat it doesn't put resistance on the base. Or else the wiper will not sit completely on the windshield and won't work properly. You don't notice it was modified. No need to buy the stock right side wiper. I'll have to take a picture, but you can imagine how I did by looking at this pic.

Its very easy to do and takes maybe 5 minutes once you know what to do.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I bought the bosch clear advantage blades but the mounting adaptor doesn't seem to be wide enough. It twists out easily. Whereas the stock wipers require a lot of force to get in and out. Anybody else experience this? I don't think I can use these blades because of it.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
It is worth the extra few $ to go with OEM every 3-4 years and avoid the hassle.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts