GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there have been several reports of a screw puncturing the bottom of the washer bottle, however my problem is that whenever I fill the bottle up, it promptly starts leaking very slowly down about a cup or so before stopping. I have watched this happen several times and finally decided the bottle must be cracked around the fill neck somewhere. Took the dress panel off over the bottle area and looked down.... Low and behold the fill neck is a separate piece connected to the top of the bottle through a rubber donut connector. Now, should I expect the donut seal to not leak or live with it and not fill the bottle up. It appears to be properly in place, but hard to see.

Anyone else seen this problem or complained/fixed it??? I guess I can complain while it is under warranty, but I would like to know if this is a problem or just something to live with??

Hey Volt Advisor, should this be fixed under warranty??

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
My Buick Regal's washer reservoir bottle has the washer pump inserted through a rubber gasket seal near its bottom. It was leaking some time ago, and the seal was the culprit. But I fixed it by lubricating the seal with petroleum jelly. Since it isn't water solvable, it will not dissolve or wash away, even under the water pressure of a full bottle. So take the neck off your reservoir, lubricate the neck seal, and reattach it. Then add water and check for leaks.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
My 2012 didn't leak and thus far neither has my 2015. If the car is still covered by the bumper-to-bumper warranty and if the leak bothers you, make it the dealer's problem.

KNS

·
Administrator
20,150 Posts
Warranty work. Get it fixed.

·
Registered
678 Posts
My 2013 Volt leaked and I had it looked at and the dealer kept telling me I had to be in an accident. I kept telling them that this car was never in an accident. They replaced the bottle but told me it was not under warranty and it cost over $130.

·
Registered
79 Posts
While doing a tire rotation, my dealer found that my windshield washer bottle was cracked. I didn't even notice and was a bit skeptical since there haven't been any leaks that I noticed, but they ordered the part and said they would fix it under warranty. I still need to schedule the appointment...

I would say take it to the dealer for warranty replacement...

·
Registered
188 Posts
My 2013 Volt leaked and I had it looked at and the dealer kept telling me I had to be in an accident. I kept telling them that this car was never in an accident. They replaced the bottle but told me it was not under warranty and it cost over $130.
I think I would complain to a Volt advisor and get my money back.

3,600 Posts
I know there have been several reports of a screw puncturing the bottom of the washer bottle, however my problem is that whenever I fill the bottle up, it promptly starts leaking very slowly down about a cup or so before stopping. I have watched this happen several times and finally decided the bottle must be cracked around the fill neck somewhere. Took the dress panel off over the bottle area and looked down.... Low and behold the fill neck is a separate piece connected to the top of the bottle through a rubber donut connector. Now, should I expect the donut seal to not leak or live with it and not fill the bottle up. It appears to be properly in place, but hard to see.

Anyone else seen this problem or complained/fixed it??? I guess I can complain while it is under warranty, but I would like to know if this is a problem or just something to live with??

Hey Volt Advisor, should this be fixed under warranty??
Hey Volt Gambler,

We're sorry to hear about the leak in your vehicle and would be happy to look into this concern for you. Please private message us your VIN, mileage, contact info, and dealership, so we can gather additional information. We look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
Vivian K.
Chevrolet Customer Care

3,600 Posts
While doing a tire rotation, my dealer found that my windshield washer bottle was cracked. I didn't even notice and was a bit skeptical since there haven't been any leaks that I noticed, but they ordered the part and said they would fix it under warranty. I still need to schedule the appointment...

I would say take it to the dealer for warranty replacement...
Hi Scott1620,

We're glad to hear your dealer has ordered the part to replace your windshield washer bottle. Would you like us to assist in scheduling an appointment to get your Volt repaired? If interested, please private message us your VIN, mileage, dealer, and contact info.

Best,
Vivian K.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Windshield water bottle fixed

Took it to the dealer and they found the seal donut where the fill spout enters the tank was rolled out of position causing the leak.

Now the base cause of the problem: The hood is so close to the water bottle fill cap when closed that it can strike the fill cap when it is slammed hard to get it to latch. Loosening the hood latch a bit now allows the hood to close without slamming it and it no longer hits the water bottle neck, which dislodges the seal donut.

Simple once you take a hard look and diagnose the real problem. Lesson to GM engineers: Open up the hood to water bottle cap clearance a bit.... :rolleyes: Or just do a better job on the 2016 for us!

In my two years of driving the Volt, this is the only warranty complaint that I have taken to the dealer. :)

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Don't slam the hood. Just drop it from about 8 inches up. Pretty sure this is in the manual somewhere.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts