GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone purchased and used the 2016 Volt Reflective Window Shades Windshield Sunshade
[84017151]. If so, is it OK?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Has anyone purchased and used the 2016 Volt Reflective Window Shades Windshield Sunshade
[84017151]. If so, is it OK?
I bought one. It was pricey even with a big discount, but I thought how could i go wrong? (and it has a nice volt logo). I've really tried very hard to make peace with this thing, but in the end I strongly dislike it. Actually that isn't quite right. It turns out I hate it intensely. It is very heavy and folds like an accordion making it hard to put up and hard to store. The kids try to pass it around the car so they can sit and it is hard to maneuver since it is so heavy. It also sags strongly in the middle and looks like it won't last very long. I'm replacing it with one from here: https://www.heatshieldstore.com. I've been using one of these in my prius for the last 6 years. It is what they sell on Priuschat. It is light, and rolls up easy. It also shows no sign of wear after 6 years. It also costs half what the chevy one does even with a substantial discount.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I bought one. It was pricey even with a big discount, but I thought how could i go wrong? (and it has a nice volt logo). I've really tried very hard to make peace with this thing, but in the end I strongly dislike it. Actually that isn't quite right. It turns out I hate it intensely. It is very heavy and folds like an accordion making it hard to put up and hard to store. The kids try to pass it around the car so they can sit and it is hard to maneuver since it is so heavy. It also sags strongly in the middle and looks like it won't last very long. I'm replacing it with one from here: https://www.heatshieldstore.com. I've been using one of these in my prius for the last 6 years. It is what they sell on Priuschat. It is light, and rolls up easy. It also shows no sign of wear after 6 years. It also costs half what the chevy one does even with a substantial discount.
+1 for the Heatshields. I've been using their product in various cars for 25+ years. They are custom cut for each car model. It was one of the first accessories I bought for my Volt. (http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?208346-Heatshield-windshield-reflector) The foam backing does eventually go bad after 5-10 years. When it does, I just buy another one... Don't let the wife/kids step on it, as it will hasten its demise.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have to agree with fspvolt. At first I thought the shield was really nice, then I started using it. Everything fspvolt says is true, plus the Volt logo sticks to the folded leaves and it gets too hot to handle when it has to be folded. I'm currently using the two-piece expandable kind from O'Reilly's Auto Parts (sort of implodes onto itself into a circle). Not a custom fit, but it seems to do the job well enough. I might have to try one of the Heatshields.

·
Registered
102 Posts
GM Sunshade is horrible - Stay Away!

Here is a photo of what it looks like. It's terrible and expensive. STAY AWAY! I returned this and purchased one from covercraft.com and it's amazing. Looks fantastic and much better than this expensive POS.

View attachment 113786

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree with others that the custom-fit HeatShield windshield sunshade is a good buy. I've used it in three cars in Phoenix, Arizona, and have been satisfied with its ability to prevent the steering wheel from becoming molten on a sunny, 110-degree day. It is also durable, lasting more than three years before starting to sag (and then only slightly).

Fits well and rolls up to a 4" diameter.

Available on Amazon or from the HeatShield website. When ordering, the "with sensor" version is for the Volt Premier model with extra Intellibeam sensor; "without sensor" applies to the Volt LT model.

Attachments

·
Registered
968 Posts
I agree with others that the custom-fit HeatShield windshield sunshade is a good buy. I've used it in three cars in Phoenix, Arizona, and have been satisfied with its ability to prevent the steering wheel from becoming molten on a sunny, 110-degree day. It is also durable, lasting more than three years before starting to sag (and then only slightly).

Fits well and rolls up to a 4" diameter.

Available on Amazon or from the HeatShield website. When ordering, the "with sensor" version is for the Volt Premier model with extra Intellibeam sensor; "without sensor" applies to the Volt LT model.
+1 on heatshields. They work great to keep car cool.

And if you add 3M crystalline to your side windows and back hatch and you'll notice another drop in temp due to their heat rejection technology. I have it and notice a 20+ drop in temp when getting in my parked car out in the 100 degree sun. Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
24 Posts
+1 on heatshields. They work great to keep car cool.

And if you add 3M crystalline to your side windows and back hatch and you'll notice another drop in temp due to their heat rejection technology. I have it and notice a 20+ drop in temp when getting in my parked car out in the 100 degree sun. Good luck with your choice.
+1 on 3M Crystalline tint. 70% on windshield is amazing in hot, sunny climates.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts