GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today is my first day off in a long time. I wanted to clear some of my "things to do in the spring" which include changing my winter tires for the summer ones. I was looking forward to this as it would be my first time driving the Volt with the normal tires (got the car in February).

The shop that did the changes scratched one of the mag wheel badly. They will repair it for free but I will need to go there next week during work hours. Frustrating but at least they are honest

When I came back home, I decided to wash the car. Suddenly a long crack appeared on the windshield (2/3 of the height). I also discover scratches on the doors (thanks winter road salt, sand, etc.!).

Otherwise, the car run amazingly smooth with the summer tires!! Really happy with that! I just wanted to vent a little of the bad lucks of the day :)

I wish you all a great week-end!

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Odd about the windshield, I don't know if you could prove a warranty claim, though. Some days you eat the bear, and some days ...

Enjoy your car from here on, it's a different experience in warm weather on clear roads.

·
Registered
322 Posts
You could either swap on one of the snows to drive on for the day so you're not stuck there waiting or bring it with you and have them swap it for you quickly so you can be on your way. Just a thought. There's nothing I hate worse than sitting around a shop waiting.

·
Administrator
20,116 Posts
The windshield cracked while you washed it? Did it spread from a stone chip in the glass?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Not as bad of a day as yours, but when I got off work today there was a massive 'present' on the hood of my new Volt. Bird crap galore, splattered over half the hood. This musta been some big bird that ate quite a meal - Ive never seen such a splattering. Well anyway, gingerly tried to clean it off with a wet microfiber towel, but somehow still got some swirl marks in the paint. Ugh, I hate birds even more now (and it was already a pretty high hate level)

JimmyVolt-Omaha

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Not as bad of a day as yours, but when I got off work today there was a massive 'present' on the hood of my new Volt. Bird crap galore, splattered over half the hood. This musta been some big bird that ate quite a meal - Ive never seen such a splattering. Well anyway, gingerly tried to clean it off with a wet microfiber towel, but somehow still got some swirl marks in the paint. Ugh, I hate birds even more now (and it was already a pretty high hate level)

JimmyVolt-Omaha
for those exact situations I generally carry a spray bottle of water and another of Meguiars ultimate detailer spray.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I can relate. Today I decided to go buy some Brown's Chicken for dinner. I drove half-a-block away from the house, before a bird flew into our Volt's windshield.

Monday Safelite will come out and install a new windshield to the tune of $395.51. As carry-out chicken goes, that was one expensive box.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I recommend taking your Volt to the dealer and let them look at the windshield. If there's no sign of a stone shot and the crack emanates from the edge of the windshield they can build a case to cover it under warranty. Windshield cracks in new cars after just a few months on the road are rare, but they do happen. Going forward, be careful not to pour very cold water on a car if it's been sitting out and warmed by the sun. The temperature difference can overstress the glass.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
You could either swap on one of the snows to drive on for the day so you're not stuck there waiting or bring it with you and have them swap it for you quickly so you can be on your way. Just a thought. There's nothing I hate worse than sitting around a shop waiting.
Sounds like he doesn't have a spare set of wheels, he is swapping the tires on and off the same set of rims. This may be a situation that convinces him to get a spare set of rims for the snow tires :)

Keith

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know I hit a big pebble a couple of days ago but I never found the stone chip. When it cracked, I saw that the chip was bellow the whippers on the bottom black section of the windshield...

So I can't get it repair under the warranty unfortunately :(

But the car is still great to drive so that's what's important :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The windshield cracked while you washed it? Did it spread from a stone chip in the glass?
I got home from the shop and when I when back to the car to wash it, I saw the big crack so it must have appeared just before I started washing the car. And yep, it spread from a stone chip that was difficult to see and that I was unaware of...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sounds like he doesn't have a spare set of wheels, he is swapping the tires on and off the same set of rims. This may be a situation that convinces him to get a spare set of rims for the snow tires :)

Keith
You're right I don't :) You're also right that it kind of convince me to get an other set of rims too!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts