GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just upgrade the PC - a real desktop and I have never been so shocked at how bad Windows 8 Pro 64 really is.

Driving Windows 8 in Metro on a desktop is just like being a VW Australia customer!
(Problems highlighted in the papers recently here - DSG transmissions collapsing - including false neutral's, engines stopping unexpectedly, consuming 1L of oil per 1000Km - enough to trigger oil warning light, some customer up to their 5th Engine - but it's normal says VW A) LOL! - Just like MS thinking two mis-matching interfaces would work on a desktop!

Win 8 Pro - It's a real pity as the "Engine" Kernel seems to be really brilliant - but what in the world were they thinking with Metro for a Desktop without a touch screen!
Greedy Microsoft wanted and APP store just like Apple huh ? :p

Luckily Classic shell went on great and I've been working on that efficiently - Boot time to desktop 10sec with Asrock and a raid 10 SSD's - went with Samsung this time round as the latest Intel SSD's are bit strange with their hobbled together outsourced controller chip.
Couldn't be bothered even registering for Metro - as the only thing I wanted working was Solitaire from Windows 7 and managed to make that happen.
But May have to --- to get the 8.1 update, guess it can be disabled after again.

So here is the Irony, both of the above MS and VW were brands you could once trust, but things change over time and a brand is really only good as it's last product. Both have recently upset many of their consumers in recent times.

As Windows 8 Users we finally can EXPLAIN What those rotating 5 finger points of lights that replaced the egg timer in Windows 8 .... represent...
The 5 balls chopped OFF the relevant Microsoft mangers who thought Metro - a Phone Tablet interface would be great idea for a Desktop with a mouse or laptop with only a touchpad!

Apple was not that silly - they keep there's separate for that reason!

Lucky I bought a Volt, even with it's all it technology it's a very reliable car and does not stop unexpectedly like a DAS Auto (VW Australia's big Advertisement $pin - all wasted due to many soured customers and recalls too little too late) ...

Pity because there would be more Volts on Australian roads if people compared the "true" reliability of cars before they bought them and not listen to "Car of the Year" Australian journalist who rated the Volt Lower than a Camry Hybrid - yet recommend VW Golf as car of the year? WT - Every local mechanic says avoid them like the plague.

- While at the same time admitting - that they tell there family friends the Golf is unreliable and to get rid of them before the warranty runs out - worst admitting to that fact our very own Australian automotive Journalist Joshua D.

Hope my odd ball comparison of IT to cars hasn't confused anyone as to how the big brands can stumble!
Lets Hope MS can still get it's stuff together with 8.1 & 9 under way.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Luckily for you there is an easy and free upgrade path.
Linux

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
You can install Ubuntu, later Oracle's Virtual Box, then run as many virtual Windows sessions that can fit in your PC's memory. I am using a HP Pavilion dv6 with an Intel Core i3 and 16 GB of RAM. It runs Ubuntu, and under the Virtual Box I run this present session of Windows 7. I can also run other sessions of Windows XP, Windows Vista, and one trial session of Windows 8 which is internally the same as Windows 7 with the new graphical interface as their main desktop. Some may like it, but I prefer "nuts and bolts" or simple desktops. And I can open multiple applications in each window.

·
Registered
774 Posts
If you do not have a tablet and you want to operate in desktop mode, then go to windows desktop mode. Metro is for tablets. I have my Windows 8 laptop and desktop in desktop mode 100% of the time. Its the best Windows ever.

Now, for the even better news (bad news if you are a ios fanboy):

If you want to run Metro mode then Windows 8.1 will change everything you have ever expecetd in a tablet. It does things ios7, android, and ubuntu will likely never do.

For instance, in your email app if you have a MS Word attachment and also a picture attachment. Clicking one will open Word in a small window next to your email app. Clicking the picture attachment will open even another app for picture editing. This all while in Metro mode. This is not desktop mode. No other tablet OS offers this so seemlessly. Samsung has an addon where you can open only 2 apps at once however it is extremely caveman like in the way it works.

No other tablet OS does this.

We all know that ios was created in a few months and is not really an OS. ios just gained the ability to multitask just 2 years ago. ios7 is just lip stick on a pig.

I have a Nexus 10 and Nexus 4 and I love Android. However it has drawbacks that Windows does not have. I also have a $250 Chromebook.

Ubuntu is no where near the sophistication of Windows 8 not to mention Windows 8.1.

Ubuntu is comparable to something right before Windows 7.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Do yourself a favor, before you go and buy another OS, seek out the Windows 8.1 videos online.
This way you will not waste your money on something that will have you later wishing your new OS can give you a certain feature that Windows 8.1 has.

Similar to iphone users wishing Apple would do a certain feature that is already available in Android.

Windows 8.1 really rocks.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes Anthony, Thats why I'm waiting for 8.1 to see if they get the desktop top right, Laptop is Win7 and runs smooth except IE - so alterniev is loaded, Nexus PAD on Google is a blast as is the Sansung S3 - my best phone ever..

Notice how I have avoided Apple products - As Googles not only costs less and offer far more freedom & has more freedom of apps.

I wonder if Ubunto will catchup and pass Microsoft one day? Goolge seeming to be doing ok in that direction.
Maybe we need Google to make a decent Desktop OS ?

After all the HW advances, Which are impressive Moores law I7 ~ 1.4 Billion transistors, 4 cores on board GPU and etc getting added inside.... vs Software which is progressing as per stone age.

Oh wait .... if Software progressed as fast as hardware - computers would now be too smart !

So I guess the bumpy slow progress of software keeps us employed - for now luckliy LOL!

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Dave Chuckles as OSX purrrrrrs on flawlessly! :D:D:D:D :p

·
Registered
774 Posts
I don't think chrome OS, I have a chromebook, will ever be as feature rich as Windows. MS is not going to just sit still. O just discovered that chrome is is really just some fancy presentation layer on top of Linux. That's correct, every chrome is has an install of Linux already on board.

MS makes approximately $10 from every android sold due to patent infringement.

They will pound away and pound away and improve everything over time so eventually the MS haters will have to consciously accept less in going with another OS versus going with MS.

I used windows phone before going to android and I have to say I miss it.

I have no need for Apple OS because Windows is quite flawless also.

·
Registered
906 Posts
give me my bare metal hypervisor running the VM of choice... using my touchscreen? yep windows 8.. writing code? gotta load the Linux up.. same with testing a server farm.. multiple VM's at once.. workin on MADRIX? win7 pro..

I do enjoy my OSX products for being portable.. yeah my 2013 Macbook air really gets 12 hours (or more) of battery Life.. and at a measured 750 megaBYTES per second.. read AND WRITE.. the SSD may as well be RAM :)
8 gigs ram and a core i7.. and Im often running 3 or 4 VM's...

-Christopher

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
I wouldn't want touchscreen for development. Too much messing around. But for browsing I'm comfortable with the low power and comfort of a tablet.

At home on my laptop I use Linux because I don't like Apple's wall garden and I shall never, ever, ever forgive MS for Malware Express. I use KDE because I like their approach and I just can't get on with Gnome. I was using Mint's desktop for a while but KDE finally overcome their most serious performance issues. After about 7 or 8 upgrades of my Kubuntuized Ubuntu I could probably do with a clean install.

App Store? You mean a repository, right? (If there's one thing I really don't miss about Windows, it's the myriad updater programs that software vendors insist on using.)

8.1 will back out to improve things and then hopefully people will stop whining about stuff nobody's making them use.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Folks that complain about VW , usually complain about the automatic transmission . If you want to be happy , buy your VW with a manual transmission .

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not Locally in Oz,
Heaps of Cars cutting out on freeways etc .... both Petrol and Deisel versions.
Bad injectors, wiring looms etc. poor support here from VW Aust.
To be happy $$ .... buy locally made or Japanese or Korean, otherwise it's bad lottery odds,
but then again some people do like getting towed and visiting their dealer alot with deep pocket to a VW or Alfa could be the choise in Australia.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Thanks, Anthony, for the link. As a photographer, the last thing I want to do is touch my pricey IPS monitor in order to edit my photos, but maybe this version will allow me to keep my fingers off the screen and so forth...

·
Registered
774 Posts
My next purchase will be a laptop with qhd+ (3200X1800 resolution).

Fujitsu has a 13" one right now and Samsung will have a 13" one soon.

I want a 15" one.

I will buy one as soon as it is released with one caveat; it will not be an Apple.

I will hold on to my 1 1/2 year old 15" 1080p Dell XPS 15 for now.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Using 64bit CentOS 6.4 as my desktop with a some virtual machines running with KVM. I run 32bit CentOS 6.4 on my $200 netbook too. Android tablet and phone for that matter. The last thing I want to see is Windows on any of my devices :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have to wonder if anyone complaining about Win8 has actually been using it regularly. I have it running on my desktop and 2 touchscreen laptops. One of my laptops is a replacement for the other so they were being used the same way. I used the touchscreen portion with a stylus for taking notes in class in OneNote. Otherwise it was used pretty much like a desktop.

The start screen isn't a crutch. Its much more useful than the old start button menu. You get to use the entire screen to put applications and programs. The icons are somewhat large, but I can fit 24 on one screen (and 8.1 looks to allow even smaller icons so one can fit a lot more). Scrolling the mouse reveals more space to the right if you have more icons placed there. You can remove ones you don't want or need. To get to all your apps and programs just right click on an empty space in the start screen and you get a menu that comes up to see all your apps/programs as small icons. The Win8 start screen is loads better than having to organize the classic start menu with a bunch of folders and sub-folders and the like to get it to fit nicely and be organized. Not to mention navigating through such a set up is cumbersome.

Also, I'm not so sure what the beef about not having a start button is. The functionality was there. Putting the mouse cursor to the bottom left and left clicking brought up the start screen. Right-clicking in the same spot also brought up a quick control pop-up. All they did was add a visual cue of its existence. Perhaps more intuitive, but there is no practical difference. If there is anything MS did poorly IMO, is not educate consumers about this well enough. I feel as though they didn't even reach out and educate the media on the lower left corner clicking functionality as new 8.1 reviews are touting this function as new. I can't remember if I was using them on the consumer preview or not, as I was only using Win8 when using my laptop as a tablet at the time (dual boot), but I don't recall ever being frustrated about it.

This next portion doesn't typically apply to desktops, but touchpads (where drivers/software) allow you to use the same edge swipe functions as a touch screen. I have a Wacom tablet for my desktop which can also do the same, but few people actually have these. Mine usually isn't used, but its a nice feature when I do use it. I can see it being very useful in certain work environments where Wacom tablets with capacitive touch capabilities are used.

There is a gripe about booting to the start screen. Unless all you do is stare at a desktop everytime you boot up and do nothing but that, there isn't much to gripe about. Launch the first program from the start menu and if its not a metro app, it launches the program in desktop mode. The quick launch toolbar still exists so you can still launch your most widely used programs from there or go back to the start screen to open another program. Either way, its not a big enouogh pain to make or break this OS. And 8.1 has the option to boot into desktop mode.

All this said, there isn't a pressing need for most people to go out and get Win8. That could be said of every new OS release though. But given the very low cost of getting an upgrade version early on coupled with the fact they were giving out the media center upgrade for free for a while, there wasn't much reason for me not to get it. And i don't see any reason to avoid it if one is in the market for a new computer. Perhaps I'm missing something. But I have little gripe with anything the media is complaining about or saying people are complaining about.

·
Registered
774 Posts
You are correct however Windows 8.1 still kills Windows 8.

Being a Nexus 4 and Nexus 10 owner and Android user I can say Windows 8.1 kills Android. Its a horrible beat down and makes Android appear like a fake OS.

Apples IOS 7 is not even in the race.

Apples OS X is though a real cool OS however it only does desktop mode.

Windows 8.1 does desktop mode and also tablet mode. Tablet mode allows you to have as many apps open and displayed all at one at the same time. No other tablet OS does this.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts