GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm looking to tint my G2 Volt in the next few weeks and was wondering if anyone has experience with either of these two tint options? Also curious to hear how people tint their Volts, do you do the windshield? How did you handle the dots issue on the back hatch window?

I did search for window tint in the forums and got a sense of things reading through those posts, however I'm particularly interested in the 2 products I mention above and the couple of questions I posed as well (also interested to hear about light pass through %s chosen, which I realize is personal to large extent). TIA

·
Registered
272 Posts
we have 2 g1's. And I can't speak to those specific products...
I used rayno phantom s9 in both. My windshield is done with rayno air 70 and hers isn't.
my installer went right over the dots, no issues. I think llumar is overrated.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
I used the Llumar Ceramic CTX on both our Gen I Volts, my 2014 Stingray and son's 2010 Camaro SS and would gladly use that again.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I looked though these forums, but also checked out what the "other half" people get. I checked Tesla and BMW forums as well. The main thing is to find a place that will install for reasonable price and they know what they are doing. In CA, I expect you can find many installers. In TX, while many do it, not too many are really good at it. A good installer isn't going to be phased by dots in the window. A good install will not having you going back to fix bubbles. A good installer is going to hand cut, not machine cut.

As for light that goes through, that along with color is personal choice. I want as dark as legal on front windows and then one shade darker on rest of car. Started doing windshields with LLumar Air 80 or 90 and it makes a difference in how fast car can cool and how quickly it heats up. If it sits 8 hrs in sun on a 80+ degree day, it is going to be hot no matter what tint you install.

Lastly, I care about how much of the bad stuff it keeps out. We are light skinned and burn easy. No issues with CTX. Llumar rocks!
That said, there is a level above ceramic in another brand, but can't justify $600-$1000 tint job for a leased car.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have Wincos 60 on my Volt. Primary goal was heat rejection and I went light so as not to get hassled by the police in my town. It's installed over the dots on the back window and seems to be fine.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have Wincos 60 on my Volt. Primary goal was heat rejection and I went light so as not to get hassled by the police in my town. It's installed over the dots on the back window and seems to be fine.
Thanks Froggert...do you notice a bluish hue to the tint? If so, from the inside looking out, from outside the car or both? How do you like the Wincos?

Lastly, what color is your Volt, guessing you have black interior like me...

·
Registered
31 Posts
There might be a bluish tint when viewed from the outside only, but it's very slight on the 60. I have Wincos 45 on my 911 and it's a little more noticeable. Wincos 30 on our Outback is not blue at all. This is the only pic I have of the Volt with tint. Hope it helps!

volt.jpg

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Froggert...that's pretty light! I'm sure it's effective for heat reduction which is what you were looking for. Do you have any visibility issues on your Outback with the Wincos 30, particularly at night? If you could only choose one to have on your vehicle between 30s and 45s, which would you choose now that you've lived with both for a while? I'd prefer to go 30, but concerned about visibility issues...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Only out the back windows at night, but the Outback's back windows come with factory tint and are darker than the Volt's. I've also had regular Llumar 20, 35 and 55 on other cars and would go with the Wincos 30 in SoCal.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Only out the back windows at night, but the Outback's back windows come with factory tint and are darker than the Volt's. I've also had regular Llumar 20, 35 and 55 on other cars and would go with the Wincos 30 in SoCal.
Thanks Froggert, are you saying that your Wincos 30 tint job was done over the Outback's factory tint? Usually installers would want to take factory tint off before putting custom tint on... and I doubt the Outback factory tint was the Wincos 30 (my guess anyway). The 30 was what I was looking to do, so we'll see when I head to the tint shop next week...

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Thanks Froggert, are you saying that your Wincos 30 tint job was done over the Outback's factory tint?
Usually installers would want to take factory tint off before putting custom tint on...

Factory tint

AFAIK: Factory tint is a pigment within the glass that's installed during the manufacturing process...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts