GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many know the windows especially the windshield and rear window the Volt gets heavily fogged. Then you have to use the HVAC system to clear it up which uses a lot of energy. I did some checking around and tried something new.

I decided to try the RainX Anti-Fog. After giving the windows a thorough cleaning I applied this product. I can't believe it. Although there is some fogging in the corners where I missed it has been virtually fog free for the past few days. In fact, I have not used the defog system at all.

I am not sure how often this will have to be applied but for the price it is worth it. I could kick myself for not doing it sooner. This is not an advertisement. I just can't believe I waited so long putting up with foggy windows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nciio9_NaN4
https://www.amazon.com/Rain-X-630046-Interior-Glass-Anti-Fog/dp/B00T9LR9FA

·
Registered
127 Posts
As many know the windows especially the windshield and rear window the Volt gets heavily fogged. Then you have to use the HVAC system to clear it up which uses a lot of energy. I did some checking around and tried something new.

I decided to try the RainX Anti-Fog. After giving the windows a thorough cleaning I applied this product. I can't believe it. Although there is some fogging in the corners where I missed it has been virtually fog free for the past few days. In fact, I have not used the defog system at all.

I am not sure how often this will have to be applied but for the price it is worth it. I could kick myself for not doing it sooner. This is not an advertisement. I just can't believe I waited so long putting up with foggy windows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nciio9_NaN4
https://www.amazon.com/Rain-X-630046-Interior-Glass-Anti-Fog/dp/B00T9LR9FA
Wow great tip! I am new to my 2018 Volt LT but I do notice that almost every time I drive the vehicle in the morning to work the front and sometimes rear windows fog up. Much more than my previous car (Nissan Maxima). I will for sure try this out!

·
Administrator
20,198 Posts
I tried it on my 2011 Volt and it really didn't help much in the winter. Stopped using it. Perhaps it will help during mild cool weather, but don't expect it to help in Chicago winter cold.

Also read directions thoroughly regarding not getting this stuff on paint, etc.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Reading the reviews on Amazon, it looks like there are a lot of people who hated it and then also had a lot of trouble removing it. Might be wise to test in a limited area before applying to the whole windshield.

I decided to just get the inside of my windshield super clean, which helps a lot, and then use the HVAC, which is only needed briefly and occasionally on a really clean windshield. And you have to use the best settings, which are discussed in other threads. And of course preconditioning helps, even if it is just briefly while walking to your car.

My cleaning process starts by scrubbing with a damp magic eraser. This is the only thing I have found that really gets the greasy residue off completely. Then I follow with Invisible Glass spray cleaner and microfiber cloth polishing. I do this once a year at the beginning of cold weather. Very happy with the results.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks for the magic eraser trick!! Never thought of that! Will try that tonight..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Reading the reviews on Amazon, it looks like there are a lot of people who hated it and then also had a lot of trouble removing it. Might be wise to test in a limited area before applying to the whole windshield.

I decided to just get the inside of my windshield super clean, which helps a lot, and then use the HVAC, which is only needed briefly and occasionally on a really clean windshield. And you have to use the best settings, which are discussed in other threads. And of course preconditioning helps, even if it is just briefly while walking to your car.

My cleaning process starts by scrubbing with a damp magic eraser. This is the only thing I have found that really gets the greasy residue off completely. Then I follow with Invisible Glass spray cleaner and microfiber cloth polishing. I do this once a year at the beginning of cold weather. Very happy with the results.
Thanks for sharing the cleaning tip. Prior to my latest road trip, I had to clean the insides of the front and rear glass. WHAT A JOB! Even after four attempts using water and vinegar, then even straight vinegar, I had streaks. I then tried Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and was satisfied with the results. I will use your technique of following up with Invisible Glass spray cleaner and a microfiber cloth, hoping for even better results, the next time I do the deed.

Thanks to the OP for starting this thread. It seems that people have varying results using Rainx Anti-fog. I'm going to try other approaches to the problem before using the product. I suspect that having an ultra clean glass surface prior to using the product contributes to the success people experience, and getting the windows that clean is problematic for me.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm planning to try this on the rear windows at least. On a trip last week with outside temps a bit above freezing and 4 of us in the car, the back windows were constantly fogged - actually all were fogging some. I can clear the front & rear using defogger, but the back side windows were really bothering people in back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
+1 on using a damp magic eraser for cleaning the inside of the windshield. It does an amazing job. Note that it's NOT safe for window tint film.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I'm planning to try this on the rear windows at least. On a trip last week with outside temps a bit above freezing and 4 of us in the car, the back windows were constantly fogged - actually all were fogging some. I can clear the front & rear using defogger, but the back side windows were really bothering people in back.
Tell 'em to stop talking so much and the windows will stay clearer. (Not entirely wrong, and will get you some quiet.)

·
Registered
541 Posts
I tried the Rain-X anti-Fog about a month ago. It seemed great at first. But in direct sunlight at certain angles you can see the hazy film on the windshield. It was distracting so I cleaned it off, which took me 30 minutes of hard scrubbing. Never doing that again.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BTW, there are some reviews of it here:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/rain-x-anti-fog-207ml-0384127p.html#Reviews

Can you comment on the haze and any distortion (eg of headlights at night?) that the product may produce?
Yes. The first night the headlights shining through the windshield was a problem. I guess that I did not get it wiped down good enough. Went back and wiped it down the next day and after that no headlight glaring issues to report. I suspect like me they did not clean off the residue well enough.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Then you have to use the HVAC system to clear it up which uses a lot of energy.
How much is "a lot" of energy? Wouldn't it be funny if your solution in the end cost more (out of your pocket and time). Without data, we'll never know.

I use auto-defog and Eco/auto settings and rarely have a fogging problem.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
How much is "a lot" of energy? Wouldn't it be funny if your solution in the end cost more (out of your pocket and time). Without data, we'll never know.

I use auto-defog and Eco/auto settings and rarely have a fogging problem.
I'd be curious what the "best settings from other threads" actually is. there isn't much you can tweak

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I'd be curious what the "best settings from other threads" actually is. there isn't much you can tweak
I like to turn off auto recirculate. There is a windshield defog button. Either or both of those work for me.

Some members crack a window. You can turn up the fan speed. There are two different settings that direct air to the windshield. There is auto defog on/off in the settings. Using comfort instead of eco setting. Those are the most common things I have heard suggested by others. There are probably others also.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I seem to put out a lot of water vapor. Windows fog near me all the time.

So at this point I use this tool [review] and invisible glass to keep the windows pretty clean
and then I set the climate controls as shown below

• Comfort
  • Defrost and Footwell
  • Medium fan speed
  • Auto recirculation OFF
  • Temperature as needed for conditions

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My windows have had significant fogging. That was one thing that bothered me. And yes you can run the defrost setting all the time or click it on and off constantly which is annoying. I just didn't like the A/C coming on that much in the winter.

If the stuff works without frequent application then great, I have avoided the use of defrost and A/C to some extent and also the rear window defrost to some extent.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I tried Rain-X last winter. Never again. Did not help with fogging and impossible to clean off as others have mentioned. Returned the unused product for a full refund. The Magic Eraser sounds like a great idea!

·
Registered
419 Posts
I tried using Rain-X for exterior use on my Honda CRV many years ago and very much regretted doing so. It left a horrible coating on the windshield that did more harm than good. Never again. After that experience I wouldn't touch the stuff if you paid me to use it - interior or exterior.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I tried using Rain-X for exterior use on my Honda CRV many years ago and very much regretted doing so. It left a horrible coating on the windshield that did more harm than good. Never again. After that experience I wouldn't touch the stuff if you paid me to use it - interior or exterior.
Exterior RainX is like wax, you have to buff it out. Same with the interior anti-fog.

Before the "invention" of RainX, in my younger years I used Turtle Wax on the windshield of my 68 Corvette. Never had to use the wipers above 40 MPH.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts