GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all. Still new to my 2018 Volt LT. Loving it so far, other than a few issues I've had (one with Re-Gen braking not always being consistent), one with having to drop the hood of the car from very high to get it to shut), and the 3rd issue: Wind buffeting/thumping with rear windows down.

I have two kids, they want to put the windows down in the back. They are 3 yrs old and 5 years old. Front windows are up for both me and my wife.

Problem is, with both or one rear window down, at any speed probably greater than 30KM/hr the wind buffetting (a thumping noise) is utterly unbearable. It is so bad you have to put the windows up to return to sanity. It really is that bad.

Now I've heard Gen1's had available an anti-buffeting kit....anyone know if GM is working on a kit for Gen2's?

If you haven't experienced this....try it. If you have a 2016+ Volt, put both rear windows down, leave front windows up. See what happens when you drive. Just accelerate and your level of sanity will drop! I'd love to know what you think of the noise/sound! Does it drive you crazy? :)

PS - even if we put front windows down a bit it does not really affect the buffeting/thumping noise, so that is not a solution unfortunately.

Thanks
Darren

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Yes - it drives me crazy, but it's happened with every car I've ever had with rear windows that could open. The best solution is to not open them. The kids won't care.

·
Administrator
21,121 Posts
In my 2011, I simply crack all 4 windows an inch or so. No thrumming drumming buffeting and you still get air, fresh or not.

Now in my Bolt EV, opening the windows is not an issue, likely because the Bolt is not as aerodynamic.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Isn't there a window lock-out switch on the driver's door so that you can disable the rear window controls?
There's a button just below the mirror controls on mine to disable all window controls except the driver's

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I've had Cadillacs and VWs that drummed big time with the rear windows down. You just have to adjust.

·
Registered
907 Posts
You might search for side window deflector threads to see if anyone has had success with them reducing buffeting. Unfortunately, looks like WeatherTech doesn't have them available for 2016+ Volt.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
In Gen 1, the wind buffeting was exceptionally bad. The kit (done under warranty) helped significantly.

With Gen 2, I've noticed that so far it seems "only" as bad as any other compact sedan--but not as bad as the Gen 1 without the kit.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Don't expect GM to research this problem when there are a few zillion open-window combinations that take care of the problem with the push of a button or two.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I completely understand about the buffeting sound. On the Gen 1 it does it incredibly bad. If I have my front windows down I have to crack the rear windows a couple inches to make it go away otherwise it's like water torture on the ear drums. The best suggestion I can offer would be as has been suggested and crack one of the front windows since it's just a result of the aerodynamics of the car that cause it. The anti-buffeting kit on the Gen 1 was supposedly just a piece of plastic placed near the side mirrors that disrupted the air flow making the car ever so slightly less aerodynamic to prevent the noise. Probably not enough to significantly impact range, but I would imagine it still had an affect when not needed with the windows up. You can also use the window lockout to prevent them from being rolled down, though I believe that locks out even the control for the front passenger aside from the rear, but from the sounds of your situation that might not be an issue.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I completely understand about the buffeting sound. On the Gen 1 it does it incredibly bad. If I have my front windows down I have to crack the rear windows a couple inches to make it go away otherwise it's like water torture on the ear drums. The best suggestion I can offer would be as has been suggested and crack one of the front windows since it's just a result of the aerodynamics of the car that cause it. The anti-buffeting kit on the Gen 1 was supposedly just a piece of plastic placed near the side mirrors that disrupted the air flow making the car ever so slightly less aerodynamic to prevent the noise. Probably not enough to significantly impact range, but I would imagine it still had an affect when not needed with the windows up. You can also use the window lockout to prevent them from being rolled down, though I believe that locks out even the control for the front passenger aside from the rear, but from the sounds of your situation that might not be an issue.
Well other than the kids complaining about me not allowing the windows down I can live with it :) It does help if you open the front windows about 2-3 inches. Noise is still there but not as bad. I guess you learn to work-around the issue. We are approaching colder temps soon so it won't be an issue again until the spring.

Darren

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
The more aerodynamic the car, the more this issue is exacerbated.

Definitely use the window lock out. And if you haven't already, with a 3 and 5 y.o. you should also have the rear door handles locked out too to prevent the young ones from opening the door from the inside. There's a small lever for this on the rear edge of each door.

·
Registered
10 Posts
On my 2018 I found that if i have the drivers window down only, I get major buffeting at around ~65km/hr... anyone else experience this?

I haven't tried it with just the rear windows down tho.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The more aerodynamic the car, the more this issue is exacerbated.

Definitely use the window lock out. And if you haven't already, with a 3 and 5 y.o. you should also have the rear door handles locked out too to prevent the young ones from opening the door from the inside. There's a small lever for this on the rear edge of each door.
Good tip about the rear door locks. I will enable this. Thanks.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Unfortunately Volt is not in a price range with such details worked on. Volt's primary focus is to lower mpge. It is not a luxury car by any means.

To relieve you a bit yes my 2017 drives me and my passengers crazy with rear windows down.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Unfortunately Volt is not in a price range with such details worked on. Volt's primary focus is to lower mpge. It is not a luxury car by any means.

To relieve you a bit yes my 2017 drives me and my passengers crazy with rear windows down.
Thanks...good to hear the confirmation. I wonder if a Sunroof would have helped with the noise. Driver and front passgener windows down 2-3 inches does help a bit.

BTW, my wife's 2008 Nissan Rogue has the same type of sound with rear windows down, although not as bad as the Volt. Still bad. Marginally tolerable I guess vs. the Volt which is intolerable :)

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
My stepdads Sierra 2500 crew cab is unbearable with even one of the rear windows cracked. It seems to resonate against the rear window and amplify. I used to do it to drive my parents crazy when I was feeling ornery.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Rarely ever drive with windows down but when I do its all of them down the coast or just mine down around the malls/shopping centers.

slightly cracking two evens out the wind noise

·
Registered
257 Posts
The Chevy Cruze I had before my Volt did the same thing with the rear window(s) down. My 14-year-old son gets a kick out of it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts