GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found an old dryer outlet in the house I'm renting that is not in the garage, but in the laundry room next to the garage. It is on a 30amp circuit according the breaker panel.

Could I get the Clipper Creek LCS-25P with the NEMA L6-30 plug for $549:
http://stores.buyevse.com/-strse-27/Charging-Station--fdsh--LCS-dsh-25P,/Detail.bok

Plus this L6-30R to 10-30 adapter for $30:
http://openevse-store.myshopify.com/products/ac-cable-adapter-molded-nema-l6-30r-to-nema-10-30

But for it to reach, I'd need an extension cord, so I was thinking of an L6-30 extension cord like this for $82:
http://www.amazon.com/L6-30-Extension-Cord-20-Foot/dp/B004W3CBL2

All in it would about $661 + shipping.

Would this work and is it safe?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Since you are renting and don't want to change anything that might be considered damage? I'd say it will work fine.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Electrically it will work fine, assuming that outlet is "live".

However, a couple of comments:

1. If those connections (adapter and extension cord) are "outside", i would get weatherproof l6-30 connectors (see below)

2. You can build your own plugs/recepticals via parts from home depot and what i'm proposing below. If not watertight, building your own is much cheaper *and* you won't need the adapter (if you want l6-30 on the EVSE, then you can make the *extension cord* go from l6-30 to a 10-30 plug for the dryer receptical). Watertight however will probably be somewhat expensive whether you build yourself or not.

Watertight l6-30:
http://www.zorotools.com/g/00010814/k-G3150901?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Google_Shopping_Feed&kw={keyword}&gclid=CIKL9MGdoboCFRFxQgod50kAnQ

or this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/141050034882?lpid=82

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Electrically it will work fine, assuming that outlet is "live".

However, a couple of comments:

1. If those connections (adapter and extension cord) are "outside", i would get weatherproof l6-30 connectors (see below)

2. You can build your own plugs/recepticals via parts from home depot and what i'm proposing below. If not watertight, building your own is much cheaper *and* you won't need the adapter (if you want l6-30 on the EVSE, then you can make the *extension cord* go from l6-30 to a 10-30 plug for the dryer receptical). Watertight however will probably be somewhat expensive whether you build yourself or not.

Watertight l6-30:
http://www.zorotools.com/g/00010814/k-G3150901?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Google_Shopping_Feed&kw={keyword}&gclid=CIKL9MGdoboCFRFxQgod50kAnQ

or this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/141050034882?lpid=82

Yes I would be connecting them outside since I have to park my car outside.

So with this watertight L6-30 solution, I'd need to buy a 10-30 plug, some 10 gauge wire, watertight plugs, and a hardwire version of the Clipper Creek LCS-25, is that correct?

One more thing, since the dryer plug is actually in a laundry room next to the garage, separated by a door, if I didn't want to keep the garage door open all the time, I would need to run the 10 gauge extension cable through some drywall which would just be a hole straight through. I could put in some grommets to make it look nice, but is there a certain type of wire I'd need to use to run through walls? If I moved out I could just patch the walls again.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I know how to do some basic soldering that I've done with car audio installations. I've never worked with this particular stuff. How hard is it to attach the plug to the hardwired version?
It's really not any different than replacing the end of a typical 120V extension cord. There are 3 wires made of stranded copper and terminals on the plug where you insert the wire and tighten a screw clamp around it. No solder necessary. The first time I did mine I opened up the plug and stared at it for a few minutes before it all sank in, but it's basically L1 L2 and G - hot/hot/Ground - Black/White/Green. I verified these things with a meter before I plugged anything into anything else.

You can buy the flexible wire at Home Depot too - most of them have big reels of it you can buy by the foot. I bought my L6-20P and L6-20R ends there too. I bought an L6-20R for the wire end (I was making an adapter wire similar to yours) and an L6-20R wall receptacle that I installed in a box. Now I can take my LCS-20 anywhere!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
If you can tighten a screw and strip a wire without hurting yourself, you almost can't screw up building your own extension cord. I would suggest buying the "hardwired" version of the EVSE and then installing whatever length of 10-3 extension cord you need to reach the outlet. Depending on the cord, you may have black/white/green or black/red/green or possibly even black/white/yellow-with-green-stripe wires inside. Anything with green is used for ground and the other two wires go to the two hot terminals. Honestly does not matter which way they go, it is perfectly safe to interchange them left to right and right to left.

When stripping back the black outer insulation to expose the individual colored wires, be very careful not to damage the colored insulation. The trick to this is flexing the wire in a "U" and then carefully scratching the stretched insulation so that it tears open without your knife touching the colored wires inside. Rotate the cable a few times to go all the way around using this trick. After you connect the wires to the screw terminals, be sure that the cable clamp securely engages the black outer jacket so there is no mechanical stress passed to the individual wires.

·
Registered
4 Posts
my Clipper Creek LCS-25P just arrived this afternoon, and my conversion cable will arrive tomorrow from EVSEADAPTERS.com.
I order the L6-30 plug on my LCS-25P since its easy to get the conversion to the 10-30r that I have in my laundry room.
The cost isnt bad depending upon how long you need the adapter to be. They go from 1ft for $44 to 6ft for $58. Includes shipping.
http://evseadapters.com/adapters-for-nissan-leaf.php .. The LCS-25P already comes with a 25ft cord so this way I can take it with me to someone else's house and, with the 6 foot adapter, have just over 30ft of cord length. That should be more than enough. The other nice thing is that the LCS-25P won't blow up the house wiring.. in that that it requires a 30amp circuit, which is customary for the 10-30r for the clothes dryer anyway, and the LCS-25P will only pull 20amps continuous.. which is perfect so the house wiring wont get hot. I'll let you all know how it works out in a day or so. I already have a hardwired Blink charger for my 2013 Volt but now I just bought a used 2011 Volt with only 8100 miles so this charge is for the 2011 Volt and for us to travel with.

·
Registered
86 Posts
my Clipper Creek LCS-25P just arrived this afternoon, and my conversion cable will arrive tomorrow from EVSEADAPTERS.com.
I order the L6-30 plug on my LCS-25P since its easy to get the conversion to the 10-30r that I have in my laundry room.
The cost isnt bad depending upon how long you need the adapter to be. They go from 1ft for $44 to 6ft for $58. Includes shipping.
http://evseadapters.com/adapters-for-nissan-leaf.php .. The LCS-25P already comes with a 25ft cord so this way I can take it with me to someone else's house and, with the 6 foot adapter, have just over 30ft of cord length. That should be more than enough. The other nice thing is that the LCS-25P won't blow up the house wiring.. in that that it requires a 30amp circuit, which is customary for the 10-30r for the clothes dryer anyway, and the LCS-25P will only pull 20amps continuous.. which is perfect so the house wiring wont get hot. I'll let you all know how it works out in a day or so. I already have a hardwired Blink charger for my 2013 Volt but now I just bought a used 2011 Volt with only 8100 miles so this charge is for the 2011 Volt and for us to travel with.

Let us know what happens but read this first. What you have is an LCS-25P with L6-30 plug that requires two hots and one ground. You are now going to plug this into a 10-30 receptacle that provides two hots and one neutral. That's where the little devil lies since you are going to be connecting your L6-30 ground into your 10-30 receptacle neutral slot, not ground. The 10-30 has no ground slot. If your 10-30 is dedicated all the way to the main breaker, then I think it will be alright since the neutral eventually ties in with the grounding bar at the panel. My concern is if there's a 120V circuit anywhere in between the 10-30 receptacle and the main breaker panel that's in use, then potentially the neutral will carry a slight voltage which might be detrimental to the LCS-25P. This product loses its factory warranty in case of damage due to miswiring. Clipper Creek does not recommend the use of any type of plug converters. Just my two cents. Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I purchased the LCS-25P with a L6-30 plug from Clipper Creek, a 10-30 to L6-30 adapter from evseupgrade, and an L6-30 extension cord from Amazon. I am happy to report I have no issues charging off a 10-30 dryer outlet with the LCS-25P. I also charge at work with the LCS-25P off a 6-20 outlet since my car only charges at 3.3 kW (240V at 14 Amps). Clipper Creek has was very responsive to my question about charging off a 20 Amp circuit and seems like a great company. The LCS-25P is very nice. Small EVSE which the cord wraps around then clips to. The cord is 25' and very flexible. High quality product at a great price.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I also have a Clipper Creek LCS 25 running on a 30 Amp circuit. It used to charge my RAV4EV, now my Smart ED and soon my Volt. It has also worked flawlessly for me.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
It is against code to semi permanently run an extension cord through a doorway. If you are building your own cable and running it through a wall, consider at least to shove it through a piece of conduit while in the wall.

·
Registered
28 Posts
this is my setup

New volt owner but that is my setup and works fine, so far. From the 10-30 dryer outlet: 1) 1ft 10-30p to l6-30r adapter, 2) 8ft l6-30p to l6-30r wrapped in blue NMT and through the existing dryer vent, 3) into a Clipper Creek LCS-25P. Although very likely not to code, it is a relatively safe setup, and removable/unplugable in minutes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts