GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate daytime headlights which GM has pushed on us in all their cars as a so called safety feature. They do nothing but waste power and gas. I have had them disabled in every car I own. The are a dumb idea but putting them in an electric car will be beyond stupid

This link which is anti DRL explains why they are a bad idea, I just hope GM gives us the option to turn them off and admit they are a bad idea

http://www.lightsout.org/story.html

·
Registered
27 Posts
In Canada, DRL's are mandatory. By the way, I happen to like the amber DRL's on my Chevy Colorado. I prefer them over the DRL's of newer Colorado's (reduced intensity low beams).

·
Registered
181 Posts
I hate daytime headlights which GM has pushed on us in all their cars as a so called safety feature. They do nothing but waste power and gas. I have had them disabled in every car I own. The are a dumb idea but putting them in an electric car will be beyond stupid

This link which is anti DRL explains why they are a bad idea, I just hope GM gives us the option to turn them off and admit they are a bad idea

http://www.lightsout.org/story.html
I agree 100% !!!!!!

If they are required in Canada, then ship the Canadian models with DRL's and metric spedometers. At the very least give me a switch to override the darn things like my '04 Colorado has.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Drl

I hate daytime headlights
I manually turn on my headlights every time I get in the car to go somewhere. Being more visible and avoiding even one accident is worth whatever energy losses you think you're incurring.

I have had a serious accident where the other driver didn't notice me and pulled out in front of me (and the police, other driver, her insurance all agreed she was at fault - I don't even remember the accident, I woke up in the ER). Consider yourself fortunate if you don't yet now how expensive the medical bills from a single motor vehicle accident can be -- try SIX FIGURES. (What're your insurance policy limits for injury liability? Bet they're not high enough)

And more importantly than the money: More than forty thousand Americans are killed each year in motor vehicle accidents. Your best chance is to be visible and drive defensively.

If there is even a remote chance to avoid that fate yourself, why not turn on your headlights?

·
Registered
812 Posts
There are better ways to improve energy efficiency than disabling daytime running lights. I could see why you would want to opt out of DRL with an EV, but still, it's a minor energy loss.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I'm anti-DRL. It's a waste of energy.

·
Registered
125 Posts
power consumption?

How much power is consumed by a DRL? Personally, I think they are annoying, but not so much that I refuse to drive a car with them.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I manually turn on my headlights every time I get in the car to go somewhere. Being more visible and avoiding even one accident is worth whatever energy losses you think you're incurring.

I have had a serious accident where the other driver didn't notice me and pulled out in front of me (and the police, other driver, her insurance all agreed she was at fault - I don't even remember the accident, I woke up in the ER). Consider yourself fortunate if you don't yet now how expensive the medical bills from a single motor vehicle accident can be -- try SIX FIGURES. (What're your insurance policy limits for injury liability? Bet they're not high enough)

And more importantly than the money: More than forty thousand Americans are killed each year in motor vehicle accidents. Your best chance is to be visible and drive defensively.

If there is even a remote chance to avoid that fate yourself, why not turn on your headlights?

First of all I am not convinced that DRLs will prevent accidents. If they can’t see a huge car because they are talking on a cell phone a light won’t make a difference. I take driving very seriously and believe it is the drivers job to stay alert and he / she should not rely on a light to save their butt. I will by 62 yeas old this Sept and have been driving since I was 16. If you don’t count the accidents I was involved in when I was a cop I only had one accident. I happened to be stopped at a traffic light with a car in front and a car in back of me with no place to move. A mechanic in a service station was working under the hood of a car and managed to start the car when it was in reverse with no one behind the wheel and it accelerated into me in reverse and hit my passenger door. I was somewhere around 18 or 20 years old at the time so it was over 40 years ago. By the way The accidents I had when I was a cop the car I was in had a whole bunch of red flashing lights on top of the police vehicle and it had a siren and they didn’t seem to stop the accident..

As I mentioned before I turned off the DRL of every car I have owned that had them. But the only cars I took notice of was the Lexus RX hybrid I had and Lexus GS hybrid I now own. I did notice an increase in MPGs after turning them off but the change can not really be attributed to the lights alone. There are too many other factors that could account for the increase the biggest of which is that all cars usually get better MPG after they have been broken in with a few thousand miles.

My personal opinion is that DRL were a marketing ploy by GM and there is no proof they are effective. The driver should have control and responsibility for the lights.

Driving is a full time job and anyone that depends on lights to compensate for the fact they are on the phone, fooling with the radio, or yelling at the kids in the back seat will wind up in an accident regardless of DRLs

PS My medical insurance combined with my medical from my car insurance is well over $1,000,000, but as I said before I haven't had an accident in over 40 years

PPS Now that I am retired I olny put on about 300 to 400 miles per month. But the past few years when I was looking for a new place to live and moving I put on ten of thousands of miles in in a short time sometimes a couple thousand miles in a week and a half.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I expect the running lights on the Volt to be low-power LEDs.

At least I'm hoping really, really hard.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The 07 Lexus RX hybrid I had required one wire to be disconnected to turn them off. The 08 Lexus GS hybrid I now have was an optional setting that could be turned off by the dealer. I hope GM offers us the option

1 - 12 of 12 Posts