GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to buy a new 2017 volt, but have been waiting for there to be a big sale like the 20% off that happened last year. Does anyone here think/know if it will happen again this year? If not, should I just go ahead and buy a volt now while there is still a good selection of 2017s to choose from?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I would like to buy a new 2017 volt, but have been waiting for there to be a big sale like the 20% off that happened last year. Does anyone here think/know if it will happen again this year? If not, should I just go ahead and buy a volt now while there is still a good selection of 2017s to choose from?
Best time to buy a Volt is after you have done all your homework and you understand what a great deal is. Work your deal. Once your deal is met. Purchase, search far and wide. Shipping a car is cheap (all things considered ;) Volts are NOT flying off the lots, gas prices are low, demand is low, work your deal and don't ever ask "what can or will you sell me this car for. You state, I will purchase your car for X amount of dollars, but you can only do that AFTER you understand what you are willing to pay for that great deal.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
An alternative is to list the features you want and the features for which you are not willing to pay extra. Check online for the list prices of vehicles similar to what you want so you know what to expect in the way of offers. Then send your specs to several dealers and tell them you will accept the lowest offer received by such-and-such date. This worked for me but, of course, YMMV.

KNS

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
I'm thinking "no" but that's a total and complete guess based on the inventory situation and the fact we've seen prices go up not down recently. Trying to time car price drops is akin to timing the market. Outside of knowing that there are usually end of model year bargains it's just difficult to do.

Consequently I'd suggest getting one now if you want a 2017 MY. As you suggested, there should be a decent selection available, though that should remain the case for a while. Prices are also not terrible. We're pretty close to 15% off, which isn't that far from 20%. Not a lot of money over the life of the car. Note here that reasonable minds can differ. For some people a good price is a life and death issue. For me it's not a big enough deal to stand in the way of getting along with life.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
'17 was a LONG production year. Don't let the '17 full you -- quite a few have been sitting on dealer lots for more than a year. At that point, the dealer is eating the cost of the car and they would be more than happy to sell one to you for 20% off to cut their losses. You'll still have to negotiate them to this point, though.

Use cars.com and sort the results by "newly listed" and then scroll all the way to the end and work up. You'll find your deal in there.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I have had an interesting flow of communication with a dealership in Pueblo. The first communication suggested matching or beating any price. But, when I provided a list of other used Volts available at $2,000 to $5,000 cheaper, the discussion shifted to being only competitive without our "region." That "region" being the area where only one used Volt is available for purchase. ~~~ quote ~~~
"If you find a lower advertised price on an identical vehicle or have received a quote from another dealer, please let me know and I will work to meet or beat that price." ~~~ later ~~~ "Our sales managers do price our vehicles very competitively relative to the region."

·
Registered
36 Posts
I got tired of waiting. I bought my 2017 last Friday. Almost $6K off of MSRP at Weseloh Chevy in Carlsbad CA for a fully loaded volt.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i spent a month researching the volt and searching within 250, 500, no limit miles on cars.com and autotrader. some dealerships are able to roll in the tax credit into the purchase price. i started the used car route then determined new was only a few k more tham used for what i wanted. 39.9k msrp at 31.9k due to demo. 3k private offer and 7.5k tax credit puts me at roughly 22.6k for a new premier

·
Registered
27 Posts
In Colorado, it's not so simple. We have to buy in state to get the tax credit, and it's a BIG one. Nobody in CO is dealing on Volts right now because the credit takes the place of dealer discounts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts