GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:

I have. New 2016 Volt. Will the ICE start ups in my garage when I am plugged into a 220 charger with 30 available amps and the car set at 12 amp draw? I can't seem to get a good handle on this. I precondition every morning for the 10 minute cycle before I leave. I noticed my ICE turned on when driving home from work at 30 degrees. I had a 2011 and the ICE never turned on in my garage when it was plugged in to my 220 charger.

Big Moe

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Hello:

I have. New 2016 Volt. Will the ICE start ups in my garage when I am plugged into a 220 charger with 30 available amps and the car set at 12 amp draw? I can't seem to get a good handle on this. I precondition every morning for the 10 minute cycle before I leave. I noticed my ICE turned on when driving home from work at 30 degrees. I had a 2011 and the ICE never turned on in my garage when it was plugged in to my 220 charger.

Big Moe
Page 140 in the owners manual tells you how to disable the engine running due to temperature while plugged in.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
The setting for 12-amps only applies to 110v EVSE. 220v uses whatever it needs up to the car's design max as long as the EVSE handshake says it is capable.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
The setting for 12-amps only applies to 110v EVSE. 220v uses whatever it needs up to the car's design max as long as the EVSE handshake says it is capable.
...and it's the EVSE that need to be configured to limit to the maximum current that the circuit can support, right?

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
On 2012 and earlier models the EVSE has an 8 amp or 12 amp switch. For 2013 and later models you have to enable 12 amp through the car menu every single charge. I understand 2016 introduced the location based charging that lets you default to 12 amp at your home location.

Again, this only applies to 120 V charging. For 240 V it is negotiated with EVSE. For 120 V it is also negotiated, I believe, but the car limits to 8 amp unless set otherwise. 12 amp at 120 V can be a fire hazard in some situations.

And just to add, 110 V is the same as 120 V and 220 is the same as 240 V when talking household voltages in the US. The higher number is the outlet voltage with no load and the lower number is what is required by the load. For example, longer wire runs will lower the voltage seen by the car.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I noticed my ICE turned on when driving home from work at 30 degrees.
You also need to set the ERDTT to 15 degrees, which on the 2016 is referred to as "deferred."

·
Registered
802 Posts
You also need to set the ERDTT to 15 degrees, which on the 2016 is referred to as "deferred."
"need" is not the best word. I would have said "may". This time of year, I can't make my daily commute on battery alone. I set my ERDTT at 35 (2016 normal) and I use less gas in the long run.

·
Registered
743 Posts
"need" is not the best word. I would have said "may". This time of year, I can't make my daily commute on battery alone. I set my ERDTT at 35 (2016 normal) and I use less gas in the long run.
He "needs" to do it if he doesn't want it to come on at the higher temperature. Whether he wants to do that is his choice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts