1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
You may be able to get the dealer to install, but it will likely cost $100, be noted on the bill as a “customer requested non sanctioned repair” and that it “may” void your warranties and that it is not recommended and so on.

It is a very easy DIY item regardless and lots of info on how to do it on the WOT defeat thread.

·
Registered
2013 Volt
1,710 Posts
It is a very easy DIY . . .
This is an understatement. If you can't accomplish this, don't ever try to change a light bulb or battery in a smoke alarm.

1.) Disconnect battery.
2.) Slide existing sensor forward toward toward radiator, out of its retainer (push hard).
3.) Separate the sensor at the end of wire harness and replace with new part.
4.) Affix new part/wiring to anything handy, preferably out of sight so it's not apparent that a change has been made.
5.) Re-attach battery.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I wouldn't get a dealer to do it, take it (and the directions) to a private shop. They shouldn't charge you more than an hours labor maximum, perhaps less if they are willing to do you a favor and you explain it's a quick job.

My thinking is this: If you ever need your warranty for something big down the road you don't want to give a dealer a reason to try to deny a claim, even though it's a very inert modification you're making.

And lastly, if you ever need to take it for warranty work...un do the change and plug the original sensor back in. See paragraph above.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why does the battery have to be disconnected? and where is the actual complete directions for installing the defeat plug? Can't find it.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...STEM-MESSAGE-DEFEAT-PLUG/page20&highlight=wot

Post #192
I'm replying to add a little insight into the removal of the original sensor.

It was unclear to me how to slip out the original sensor from under the container. Yes, instructions say to move it toward the radiator to free it. However, mine wouldn't budge. I thought that maybe there was a clip that had to be held open in order to release the sensor. Using a small mirror, I looked at the arrangement and finally saw that there was nothing locking the sensor in place in the bracket at the bottom of the container. The sensor remains in place with a friction fit with the bracket.

All I had to do was push the sensor forward but I wasn't strong enough. Luckily, the rear of the bracket has openings so that a short, flat blade screwdriver could fit through them to push the sensor forward. Push, push and I had the sensor loose. Then, it was a simple matter of holding the clip open while I jockied the sensor off the socket.... carefully, so as not to dislodge the light grey environmental grommet. Then, it was only to plug in the WOT sensor (it fits in only one way), making sure that the snap lock engaged. I placed the tie wrap around the wires exiting the base of the socket and around the adjacent cable run to hold the device in its new place.

The container no longer is monitored by a sensor. Visually monitoring the fluid level is now a must! The level on mine has gone down about 3/8th of an inch from being level with the top of the label in 42,000 miles of use.

I hope that others benefit from this information.

·
Administrator
21,121 Posts
Why does the battery have to be disconnected? and where is the actual complete directions for installing the defeat plug? Can't find it.
Thanks
Read the WOT Sensor thread starting with post #1. There are plenty of detailed instructions, tips and pictures.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I was an early buyer of the plug, although I have no immediate need. I showed the plug to my dealer service guy. He claimed to have never heard of it, and stated non GM approved components should never be installed on the car. I wasn't really expecting much different. I still haven't installed it. My 2014 is still under the extended GMPP. Pics of the 2 installation pages are attached. Also see the original thread concerning an easier removal process.
Text Document Paper Paper product Font
Text Document Paper Font Paper product

·
Registered
652 Posts
Visually monitoring the fluid level is now a must!
Meh, there's temperature sensors in the battery as well that will shut things down if it detects an overheat. The bottle sensor is not the only sensor in play for coolant loss, in the end.

The only reason the bottle sensor was added to Volts after the fact was due to "improvements" (The sensor and battery compartment strengthening) after the much ballyhooed NHTSA fire several weeks after a Volt was crash tested. It added an extra layer of protection for crash scenarios, but also added a major headache for GM (and customers) given the sensors lack of reliability in the long run.

·
1,027 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Is the sensor replacement covered under the GM Major Guard?
I'll give you a definite answer tomorrow! I think having the Extended Service Plan may focus minds in that it's either part of Voltec, hence not covered by Major Guard, or not, which would mean it is. My personal opinion is that it would be covered by Voltec BTW. Some dealers say it isn't but dealers are not created equal.

·
Registered
113 Posts
In theory, its a very easy DIY on paper, but when you hand is crunched in between coolant tanks, and sharp pieces of metal twisted upside down, its difficult.

·
Administrator
21,121 Posts
In theory, its a very easy DIY on paper, but when you hand is crunched in between coolant tanks, and sharp pieces of metal twisted upside down, its difficult.
Or, take off the front passenger-side wheel, remove the wheel well liner (~5 screws) and have easy access to the sensor.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts