GM has called the Volt a “halo” as will be the Cadillac ELR. Is it possible another halo car, the Chevrolet Corvette, may share the common denominator of a partially electric drivetrain next time it's up for a revision?

And before we answer that, should we wonder where GM’s vision is with regard to an electrified “future?”

While GM has been hush-hush about future Voltec plans except for some hints about the next-generation Volt, its President Mark Reuss told the half-serious query by the LA Times the prospect of hybridizing the C8 ‘Vette was no joking matter.

“Actually, don’t laugh,” Reuss said smiling in response to the Times. “I think it’s a very attractive idea, actually,” Reuss said. “I think it would be really fun to do, I think it would build capability inside our company and I think people would love it.”

What fans of vehicular electrification think about augmenting a V8 car that already dusts a Tesla Model S to 60 mph or in the quarter mile is anyone’s guess.

To be sure, if the Corvette gets a hybrid or PHEV treatment, this will be mostly about the need for speed. Short-range AER or parallel hybrid modes would be just to jump over a higher EPA bar.

Nor would it be very surprising several years from now to see a Corvette hybrid as GM would actually only be following those who went before – like the up-market brands it shadows for a fraction of the price from Porsche, Ferrari, and McLaren.

And like practically everything else in a world where people typically want significant increases with each new generation, the next ‘Vette would surely exceed the present output of its 6.2-liter V8 that delivers 455 horsepower and 460 pounds-feet of torque.

The current vehicle employs cylinder deactivation to let it run as an effective 3.1 liter V4 at times when it is just cruising, and has seen upwards of 30 mpg on the highway in real world observations.

Corvette fans largely consider it an abomination to go with less than GM’s pushrod V8, so like other high-performance hybrids, this one would probably not want to sacrifice the core recipe. Ferrari, for example, retains a V12 with its La Ferrari.

In any case, enthusiasm for the future has been expressed for making the sports car leaner and maybe meaner.

“It’s exciting stuff, I mean it is,” Reuss said. “It’s cool.”

But what about the rest of the potential electrification projects yet remaining? Voltec is cool too. Let’s hope GM’s decision makers still really think so.

If GM can justify the R&D budget to develop (uncompromised) hybridization for a limited-market Corvette, can we think of any other slots to fill in the model lines that could stand a Voltec or two?

LA Times via GMInsideNews