GM Volt Forum banner
61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
True but you aren't waiting beside it for it to do it. You are raking up leaves in the front yard, watering the garden, cutting the grass or watching TV or the hundred other things your wife wants you to do or even sleeping. Things you can't/aren't doing at the hydrogen refill station.
Exactly.

I'm too busy doing something else or sleeping, to care. It does not even feel like I am waiting.

Plus I bet it's more like 10 seconds to plug and 10 seconds to unplug....or less.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
I got the "Volt book" with my 2012 Volt and read it cover-to-cover. Two things stand out six years later: 1) GM created a very special team to create the Volt, and I'm sure many people here would say that GM let that spirit evaporate too quickly, and 2) one of the key things about the Voltec system (in contrast to non-plug-in hybrids) is how the generator RPM is not tied to the car's speed on the road - the generator can run at whatever speed it needs to at the moment. Disconcerting at first, though, when you hear parts of the car rev up and slow down "independently".

So yes, it was "revolutionary", but the charging infrastructure here in Florida has barely ramped up in six years, other than some conspicuous Tesla stations.
The "charging infrastructure" for a Volt is a socket in your garage. THAT was the point. It's an EV that doesn't need a charging infrastructure. Now that we have one, at least in places where major chunks of the population actually live, that independance from charging is far less necessary and it's now reflecting in GM's product line.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Exactly.

·
Administrator
21,041 Posts
Exactly.

I'm too busy doing something else or sleeping, to care. It does not even feel like I am waiting.

Plus I bet it's more like 10 seconds to plug and 10 seconds to unplug....or less.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Wow, you are spending WAY too much time charging! For me it's about 3 seconds, not 10 whole seconds!! haha. Of course my 240V charge station is right next to my garage/kitchen door and directly across from the charge port :)

99.9999% of my charging takes place there for both my Volt and Bolt EV. Yes, having public charging is nice for extended trips, but the reality for me is my garage is where virtually all my charging takes place.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I think the real issue on whether or not the Voltec drive train survives is if GM ever gets their heads out of their collective butts to realize this drive train beefed up for their trucks and SUVs would go a long ways in middle America and Canada.
I would sell my kids for a Colorado type truck with the Voltec setup.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would sell my kids for a Colorado type truck with the Voltec setup.
I'm not convinced the proto-typical pickup buyer would go for Voltec. The Hybrid Silverado certainly didn't sell well, but of course it was pretty crippled from the get go. I'd think the fleet sales would be more receptive. Back in the day (hah! a year ago) when I was forced to visit a gas station once or twice a week there where usually a couple of fleet pickups buying a $100 or so of gas while I was putting the $20 worth in the Cruze. Where I live a lot of these are yard work, tree trimmers, plumbers, electricians etc that all commute to the city to work but can't afford to live there. These guys would probably save 300/month just in the stop and go traffic of the commute.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Back in the day (hah! a year ago) when I was forced to visit a gas station once or twice a week there where usually a couple of fleet pickups buying a $100 or so of gas while I was putting the $20 worth in the Cruze. Where I live a lot of these are yard work, tree trimmers, plumbers, electricians etc that all commute to the city to work but can't afford to live there. These guys would probably save 300/month just in the stop and go traffic of the commute.
Those guys need to learn about the Workhorse W-15 pickup. It's like a Volt truck with 80 mile EV range, and an ICE for 310 more miles. It has electrical outlets on each side for power tools, all wheel drive, and does 0-60 in 5.5 seconds:

https://workhorse.com/pickup/

61 - 68 of 68 Posts