GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if current prices have tax credit built in just like the Volt. Don't have a Level 2 and wondering whether I should pull the trigger now or wait.

·
Registered
72 Posts
If you have the means to wait it out, I would highly suggest waiting to see what the next level of battery tech brings out. 2020 for example bring some interesting results. 200+ miles of range, competitively priced, real-world range in all conditions in the ballpark of 80 to 300 miles perhaps.

If you cannot wait,

Used EV/PHEV is where its at! What a bargain! Let the idiots go "buy", I mean lease, I mean finance @ 29.99 APR a 65K Lincoln Navigator, I'll take a 12k slightly used Volt anyday!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
If you are going to be buying a level 2 anyway, I think now would be the time. Their costs may drop a bit with the tax credit expiration, but probably not 30 percent.

·
Registered
907 Posts
L2 pricing is more about production volume. They just don't sell in the quantity that is necessary to drive down the price. Also, a "portable" L2 that is not installed as "real property" does not qualify for the credit even now (at least how I understand it). And the available credit is subject to AMT limitations. See IRS form 8911.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
The tax credit can offset some of the installation costs too, right? If you need any electric work done to install that L2 charger (and the credit does apply to that) then I would say go for it before they expire. I highly doubt a legit electrician will suddenly lower their costs because the credit expires. (With that said, shop around for an electrician and maybe not mention exactly WHAT the work is for until after a quote, just explain what type of plug you need where, not that it's going to be used to charge an electric car. Honest electricians should be quoting for the level of difficulty and their time, NOT what it's going to be used for and some less then honest ones might bump their prices ~30% if they know you can get 30% back off your taxes because of it, etc)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually, if you have a Gen2 (you posted in the Gen2 forum), you do have an EVSE capable of providing 240v at 12a, so I'd say you do have L2. All you need is the appropriate adapter for your receptacle. See http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?218442-2016-Volt-120v-EVSE-is-L1-L2-Conversion-Capable .
I have made the adaptor for the GM-supplied EVSE and it works well. And, I've had an electrician install a dedicated 50a circuit. So, I'm debating whether it's worth pulling the trigger now to buy a 'real' level 2 for the benefit of the tax credit and the ability to have a true portable charger to take with me.

Sent from my Lenovo YB1-X90F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Its a $30 extension cord with a $6 ground fault and a signal generator, too bad its "Niche" and unlikely to change in a long time

·
Registered
14 Posts
I did the same mod the first week I owned my Gen2 Volt. I would post a picture, but I am still under my 10 post requirement for links and pictures (grumble grumble). The L1 charging was not fast enough for me - 13 hours is too long when I sometimes get home at midnight and have to leave at 5:30am (TV show biz). I forgot a few times to change from 8 amps to 12 amps which made the time to fully charge unacceptable. Creating a simple 1ft adapter cable took my charging time down to 6.5 hours if I had no charge left. I am also thinking of buying a "proper" L2 charger so I can leave the portable one in the car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Poor Americans. Buy it NOW. With the your new psychopath President there will be no more tax credit in USA in a few weeks or months.

·
Registered
118 Posts
If you are going to be buying a level 2 anyway, I think now would be the time. Their costs may drop a bit with the tax credit expiration, but probably not 30 percent.
FWIW, I noticed that the price on the Clipper Creek HCS-40 with JuiceNet (sold, and price set by, eMotorWerks) went up by $60 recently (in the past ~1.5 months), and (if I'm remembering the prices correctly; I didn't write them down) the list price of the ChargePoint Home has gone up by about $50 at about the same time, although the actual price went down because of a sale on Amazon. This may just be a blip, or maybe eMotorWerks and/or ChargePoint are deliberately jacking up list prices a bit just before the tax rebate expiration so they can make a big deal about lowering them in a month or so. The market works in mysterious ways....

·
Registered
40 Posts
As others have mentioned if you install an L2 EVSE you can claim not just the cost of the EVSE but the installation as well. The real issue is, can you pay for it before the end of the year? Expenses must be incurred in the tax year to be able to claim them.

I had similar thoughts 2 years ago when the credit was scheduled to expire the first time. I contacted Siemens and they handled all of the paper work including finding an electrician. Once the electrician submitted their quote to Siemens, I was able to pay the invoice in 2014 to claim the tax credit. I scheduled the install 3 weeks later in 2015.

My cost for a Bosch 16 amp outdoor charger with installation was $1600. But I received a 50% rebate from my local electric provider and 30% from the feds for a final cost of $320. Small bonus, because of the professional installation my warranty was extended from 2 years to 3.

If you want to claim the credit this year you need to move fast.

Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts