GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
During the recent flurry of Voltstats authentications I got the email "Congratulations on connecting the myChevrolet Alexa Skill to your GM Account ending in ...". I didn't ask for it but I guess I got it.
So somebody is working on it. Savvy? We shall see.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Would be a good idea. Just telling the car to pre-heat would be cool (though I never need to do that).

EDIT: Thinking about using Alexa to interface with the Volt got me thinking about what I might want to do. The only thing I could come up with is charging and pre-heating, and the latter I never do. But that got me thinking about using Alexa for temperature, and I thought it would be neat if you could use Alexa to control the thermostat. Worked like a charm.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
So us Android users with Google Home are left out in the cold, so to speak. That's not right! 8^(

·
Registered
37 Posts
So us Android users with Google Home are left out in the cold, so to speak. That's not right! 8^(
Alexa and Cortana are available on Android devices. If you have Amazon Prime especially, Echo devices with Alexa really integrate well, even if you use Google as your primary assistant on phone.

·
Registered
44 Posts
During the recent flurry of Voltstats authentications I got the email "Congratulations on connecting the myChevrolet Alexa Skill to your GM Account ending in ...". I didn't ask for it but I guess I got it.
So somebody is working on it. Savvy? We shall see.
Could you go into a little more detail about this? What exactly did you do that triggered that email? Are you actually able to do anything via Alexa?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Sorry if these seems like a plug for Apple, this is intended to promote the MyChevrolet App. Don't overlook the fact that the MyChevrolet App on the iPhone works with the Apple Watch. You can use the five remote features (lock, unlock, precondition, cancel precondition and sound the horn/ flash the lights using the Apple Watch.

You need to be within Bluetooth range for the Apple Watch to communicate with the iPhone but someday that may change as the Apple Watch is available with optional LTE service. You can also use the Apple Watch version of the MyChevrolet App to locate your vehicle and if you use Apple Maps you get turn by turn directions with haptic notification on the Apple Watch.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sorry if these seems like a plug for Apple, this is intended to promote the MyChevrolet App. Don't overlook the fact that the MyChevrolet App on the iPhone works with the Apple Watch. You can use the five remote features (lock, unlock, precondition, cancel precondition and sound the horn/ flash the lights using the Apple Watch.

You need to be within Bluetooth range for the Apple Watch to communicate with the iPhone but someday that may change as the Apple Watch is available with optional LTE service. You can also use the Apple Watch version of the MyChevrolet App to locate your vehicle and if you use Apple Maps you get turn by turn directions with haptic notification on the Apple Watch.
Nice! I had not noticed that - much easier and faster than doing it from the iPhone app. Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
+1 I would like to be able to start the precondition using Alexa. Other would be to 'Alexa tell Chevy Volt to Charge now' since my car generally has 0 miles on it when I get home from work and I realize I need to go out later, after I've already come in the house and fumble through the app to override the charge option.

-Jeff

Would be a good idea. Just telling the car to pre-heat would be cool (though I never need to do that).

EDIT: Thinking about using Alexa to interface with the Volt got me thinking about what I might want to do. The only thing I could come up with is charging and pre-heating, and the latter I never do. But that got me thinking about using Alexa for temperature, and I thought it would be neat if you could use Alexa to control the thermostat. Worked like a charm.

·
Registered
606 Posts
An Alexa skill that could do any command on the smartphone app would be great.

It would also be great to have Alexa in the car. Maybe there could be an app for that? Then I could do some home control things like opening the garage door with a voice command or turning on the porch light, and if you are very trusting you could unlock your door with a voice command or group them all together and use one phrase for all of those things.

A step further would be to use voice commands to control car functions such as drive mode and cabin temperature.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
I use Amazon Music with CarPlay in my 2017 Volt. When Amazon Music was added to CarPlay, for a short time, you could activate Alexa by tapping the screen on the iPhone while connected to CarPlay. Then this feature was disabled. I have not checked recently to see if it was ever reactivated. Once the Alexa feature was activated by tapping on the iPhone screen I was able to use standard Alexa voice commands, ask questions, turn on lights etc.

One of the things I was trying to do was use Alexa to run an IFTTT script to tell my LiftMaster garage door opener to open the garage. As far as I could determine LiftMaster had the third-party functions pretty well locked down. I could have used Alex and IFTTT to close the garage door but not open the garage door.

·
Registered
171 Posts
After reading this thread I went to the Alexa app on my phone, searched for "Mychevrolet skill" and enabled it. It allows me to pre-condition the Volt by saying "Alexa, ask Chevrolet to start my car", and to lock or unlock the car by using similar commands. I am fairly certain that this is tied to an Onstar subscription, but I don't know the details. It saves digging the phone out and opening up the MyChevrolet app.

·
Registered
606 Posts
There is a GM skill already. I have it loaded. I can say "Alexa start the Volt." Problem is it makes me announce the pin and I may not want that to be overheard.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts