GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that the FAQ (http://gm-volt.com/chevy-volt-faqs/) states:

Q: Will tall people fit in it?
A: Bob Boniface, chief of Volt design says the car is being designed to accommodate drivers from 5th percentile females up to 95th percentile height males.​

I am 6'5 and 285 lbs. I do not fit into a Smartcar or a mini-cooper. Anyone know if I will fit into a Volt? Or, does anyone know what medical chart Chevy is using to determine the size of the "95th percentile height males"?

·
Registered
1,728 Posts

A: Bob Boniface, chief of Volt design says the car is being designed to accommodate drivers from 5th percentile females up to 95th percentile height males.​

I am 6'5 and 285 lbs. I do not fit into a Smartcar or a mini-cooper. Anyone know if I will fit into a Volt? Or, does anyone know what medical chart Chevy is using to determine the size of the "95th percentile height males"?
I am concerned about this too, being of similar size. The trick is to "fit comfortably", not having to contort myself upon entry or exit. A pet peeve is hitting my head as I try to enter a small car. My goal is to get in the car, not "put it on".

·
Registered
45 Posts
This "shouldn't" be a problem.

I am of similar size myself. I remember back when I was shopping for my first car, around 1994, it was VERY hard to find one that fits... these days I fit into many more cars.

Headroom is a big issue for me, as I am quite tall in the torso (from the waist up).

The Mini and the Smart are basically microcars. The Volt is a fair margin larger (I am right about that, right?). I have sat in a Mini as well, and had a hard time with headroom in that one (but it was fun to drive!).

I just don't see how they could NOT have enough room for us!

·
Registered
88 Posts
The comment on todays home page mentions a lack of headroom. I also, am on the tall side and this is a concern. We all could be jumping the gun or it could be a legit issue. Until I sit in one I'll be guessing.

·
Registered
167 Posts
It's my understanding that the Volt will be about the same size as a Cobalt. So find out if you can fit into a Cobalt, or just put down the fork.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
It's my understanding that the Volt will be about the same size as a Cobalt. So find out if you can fit into a Cobalt, or just put down the fork.
Using the fork more or less won't make any of us tall people any shorter, dipwad. Also, muscle weighs four times what fat weighs. Did it occur to you that we might be big and muscular, and not fat?

·
Registered
108 Posts
zzyzzx just became my least favorite person on this forum. And that is saying something.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am 6'4" and 250 lbs.

I lift weights.

I run marathons.

I have a 50" chest and a 38" waist.

I am active duty Army.

I have no issues with forks.

I still have some concerns as to how well I will fit in the Volt.

Way to ASSume there buddy.

·
Registered
495 Posts
If you can't fit in a Cobalt, you won't fit in a Volt. Take a test drive of a Cobalt or just walk into a showroom that has one unlocked and take a seat in it.

My last vehicle was a full-sized van, where there was more climbing than there was ducking. When I first got my Focus, I was bumping my head going in it all the time. After a few weeks, I just got used to how to get in correctly. Now, it's just natural, and comfortable (except when I get zapped, static electricity was never a problem on the van).

If you are going from a van or a truck, don't expect the Volt (or Cobalt) to be as easy to get in and out of- no matter your size.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Look at the bright side: we all have over two years to go on a diet. :)

Means we will also et better electric range with less weight to hauls around.

·
Registered
108 Posts
So, what's the name of that Greek Mythos guy who has the bed, and cuts people down so that they fit into it? I guess tall people are going to have to make an appointment with him.

·
Registered
22 Posts
big guys do fit

Hey Big guy, I'm 6'2" and 250 lbs. I drive a Chevy Aveo(their smallest US passenger car). I have to pull the seat FORWARD one notch from the farthest back setting. It's a good bet you will fit comfortably in the Volt.I just hope they design Volt version 2.0 to look more like the concept car. Current Volt design is a thinly disguised Cobalt. And GM better get a move on and bring the Volt out in 2009 before they go under.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
If you can't fit in a Cobalt, you won't fit in a Volt. Take a test drive of a Cobalt or just walk into a showroom that has one unlocked and take a seat in it.
Not so. FYI the Volt is based on a totally "new" Delta II platform that is significantly different from the current model Cobalt. The D2 platform the Volt will be using (with underpinnings shared with the 2010 Chevy Cruze and 2011 Saab 9-3) is known to have improved passenger compartment utilization and door entry angles with improved ingress-egress than the current Deltas.
WopOnTour

·
Registered
495 Posts
Not so. FYI the Volt is based on a totally "new" Delta II platform that is significantly different from the current model Cobalt. The D2 platform the Volt will be using (with underpinnings shared with the 2010 Chevy Cruze and 2011 Saab 9-3) is known to have improved passenger compartment utilization and door entry angles with improved ingress-egress than the current Deltas.
WopOnTour
Judging whether or not you can fit in a car by the platform it rides on? Not sure what you are getting at. The HHR and the Cobalt are on the same platform, yet I doubt you would suggest getting in and out of them are the same.

Whether on the same platform or not, the Cobalt sedan is as close to the Volt as you are going to get. He can get a good idea of whether or not he will fit by sitting in one at the dealer.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Judging whether or not you can fit in a car by the platform it rides on? Not sure what you are getting at. The HHR and the Cobalt are on the same platform, yet I doubt you would suggest getting in and out of them are the same.

Whether on the same platform or not, the Cobalt sedan is as close to the Volt as you are going to get. He can get a good idea of whether or not he will fit by sitting in one at the dealer.
You were implying that the Cobalt and Volt were somehow related. This is not true. Of course there are similarities between paltform siblings in terms of basic dimensions. Would you deny that?
I assure you there is very little resemblance to the vehicle access dimensions pertinant to in/egress in the Cobalt as compared to the Volt.
G6 maybe...
WopOnTour

1 - 15 of 15 Posts