GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Looks like I will have a Bolt Premium by this time next week. My wife wanted something new after our 2014 Volt. I thought that meant a 2018 Volt but what did I know.

Very excited to pick it up and will now have to start lurking in these Bolt Owners forums.

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
Awesome, what kind of deal did the dealer give you? My local dealer has 10 Bolts and they are offering $3600 off MSRP, but he's had them on the lot for over 6 weeks and hasn't sold any of them. Are folks getting better deals and he'll have to sweeten his discounts.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
My wife loves the Bolt EV. It's the only car she's lusted over, other than a Mercedes coupe when she was 20. She's fine with the Volt but more or less loves everything about the Bolt. I think it's a combination of the small size, which makes it easy to maneuver, the interior room, how zippy it is, and the fact it has no cachet. And of course that it's electric on the tech front. The female half of a couple feel the same way and already have one. So your wife is not alone ....

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Congrats and Good Luck with your new ride. You will Love it, I have had mine since the beginning of July and am loving it.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Congrats!

The end of the thread title was cut off, so I was worried it was gonna end with "a Prius Prime". :eek:

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Awesome, what kind of deal did the dealer give you? My local dealer has 10 Bolts and they are offering $3600 off MSRP, but he's had them on the lot for over 6 weeks and hasn't sold any of them. Are folks getting better deals and he'll have to sweeten his discounts.
How many of those units have the fast charging option?

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have had my Bolt since May and have almost 10k miles on it. Really love the one foot driving. It really is a fun car to drive. Had a mid 90's corvette line up next to me the other night and while not exactly a race he didn't pass me until I let off at 70. Have to love that ev's don't loose hp at elevation.

My only complaint so far is the car is loose sounding on rough roads. I drive gravel every day and it's not solid like a $40k car should be. Minor annoyances, would love it if the sun visor would slide for more coverage, lumbar support would be nice on the seats, the back up camera from the volt is better.

·
Registered
6,672 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome, what kind of deal did the dealer give you? My local dealer has 10 Bolts and they are offering $3600 off MSRP
Will post more info when I have it. 3500 or more off is pretty common.

Oursmond chevy Rockville md has a great select. Internet price is legitimate (plus a fee). Check out their site for good purchase prices.

I am going to lease from Miller Brothers in Ellicott City MD. I really like that dealership.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Will post more info when I have it. 3500 or more off is pretty common.

Oursmond chevy Rockville md has a great select. Internet price is legitimate (plus a fee). Check out their site for good purchase prices.

I am going to lease from Miller Brothers in Ellicott City MD. I really like that dealership.
Oh wow, you're literally in my backyard. I've never dealt with Miller. I leased 3 cars through Win Kelly last year. Pretty straight shooting dealership, though the sales guy I dealt with all 3 times has since moved on.

·
Registered
678 Posts
They don't seem to be flying off the shelves here in WA either. I'm so disappointed no ACC... Especially for a $40,000 car! - I can handle the cheap plastic dash and door panels, but ACC is an important add for my wife, especially.

My wife wants the Premier with all the bells/leather seats. No automatic seat on the top tier also a nut. We would be fighting over those short runs to the Post Office or supermarket for milk... Wife often says, "here's the keys, you go get the kids - I'm busy cooking..." etc. etc... I jump in our current Volt and it's slide seat forward, slide seat back - repeat...over and over. Sounds trivial but it's tedious. She's really short and I'm 6'1" with long legs.

No HomeLink in Volt or Bolt EV is also an obvious omission to cut costs. I'd gladly pay extra for these features. Having to seek aftermarket solutions is a pain. It's just like $50 or something for the manufacturer, but every nickel counts...

If I could get $5,000 off of MSRP plus $7,500 tax credit, the nigs might not be so bad.

All in, I see Bolt EV as a lease... Bound to have terrible resale value - like Ford Focus EV, Volt gen 1 and most all other EVs including LEAF.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Costs

These guys had good inventory and a good pipeline of Bolts.

http://www.rockvillechevrolet.com/

They had 11 Premium Bolts with MSRP at 43510 and a few more on the way. This means the entertainment, the driver confidence II, and the DC fast charging, nothing more. I like that setup with no dealer installed options. They also had the cheaper Bolts but I was looking for the Driver confidence II package.

Generally selling at 4300 off MSRP after dealing with destination charges and whatever else they are factoring in. I was told there is a 2K rebate for some dealers in October.

=39210 sales price

add in about 300 for docs, 2366 for state tax and 300 for tag/title and now you can write a check for..

42176 on the road price.

-7500 feds
-2366 in MD for sales tax refund
-700 for the costco deal this month

$31610 net for purchase price.

These numbers are rounded a little.

I decided to lease instead thinking that I will be getting a new vehicle in 3 years and don't think the resale will be high enough to come out ahead in this case.

Leasing is going to cost me just a hair over 11K for 3 years at 10K miles per year (this includes my GM card rebate as a down payment and that I expect to get about 2400 back from the state. The 11K does does not include the $700 costco rebate I expect to get). This seemed to make the most sense in my particular case and I figured I would give the lease thing a try. YMMV of course. I like the Miller Brothers Dealership in Ellicott City, MD.

http://www.millerbrotherschevrolet.com/ No hassle buying and I have always been treated well. They have done nice service on my Volt too and I trust their repair shop.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
The MD state credit for the Bolt should be $3,000, so there's more free money. Doesn't matter how much tax you actually pay. Good on a lease too.

·
Administrator
20,231 Posts
I am really liking our Bolt EV Of course, my wife has the longer commute so she drives that and I get sole custody of the Volt, still in awesome condition with 6+ years and 95K miles on it.

I find the Bolt to be very solid, though bouncier (shorter wheelbase) than the Volt. I like the higher seating that doesn't make you climb a ladder to enter. The 360° Blade Runner Drone View is awesome for parking and just plain cool. I dislike having to plugin my phone to get a map. Prefer the built-in Volt nav. I like the easy-care "cheap" plastic interior a lot. Wish the cargo bay had D-rings. The lack of extending visors is just stupid. Fixed that by retrofitting some 2014 Cruize extending visors ($6 each from a U-Pull It type place).

I'm so disappointed no ACC... Especially for a $40,000 car!
Please. The "it's a $40k car so should have everything I want" is a tired refrain. Please name another all electric with 238 mile range that has ACC. Not a future car, a car you can drive off the lot today. We used to see the same complaint with the Volt. Give it 5 years and it will be a different car, different price. Of course by then, they will be many more EV's to choose from...and complain about.

Homelink is a non-issue for me. My remote is tiny, same color as the ceiling trim and simply clipped onto the plastic frame. Almost looks factory and was $0.

I don't trade cars every few years (still have 2011 Volt), so resale is a non-issue. Plus, when you factor in the fed and state rebates/tax credit, depreciation is about the same as other cars.

I got $3k off of mine, plus a Chevy $3k private offer, plus $7500 tax credit. That's an effective market price of $30,500. That's what I compare to when looking at depreciation, not $44k.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The MD state credit for the Bolt should be $3,000, so there's more free money. Doesn't matter how much tax you actually pay. Good on a lease too.

My dealer told me that some people have recieved the full $3000 rebate in Maryland even though taxes are closer to 2400. The rebate form clearly states "up to $3000 and not to exceed the excise tax paid". I will be happy with $3000 but expect it to match the actual taxes paid on the car.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts

My dealer told me that some people have recieved the full $3000 rebate in Maryland even though taxes are closer to 2400. The rebate form clearly states "up to $3000 and not to exceed the excise tax paid". I will be happy with $3000 but expect it to match the actual taxes paid on the car.
Ok, you're right. Old credit gave money based on kWh size alone, regardless of tax paid. New one has the "up to excise tax paid" line.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Congratulations on the Bolt!
If I decide to buy another electric, I would choose the Bolt over the Volt too.
The range of the Bolt is plenty enough for a local car, and probably distance too with a little planning.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts