GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Volt can only seat 4, and we're doing more driving with our grownup kids/spouse. So a car that would seat 5 would be nice. My wife's Mazda3 will be 10 years old, so she's ready for a trade in anyway.

This summer, the five of use are going on a 2400 mile road trip mostly marathoning to a wedding in Minnesota with 5 adults and a small dog; so we don't want to fly. My kids are grown, but slender.

The car we're looking for needs to at least be a Hybrid or plug-in hybrid, or an EV.

So a 5 seater would be nice. We could purchase a CUV hybrid, like the Toyota Rav4 or other Toyota hybrid. Maybe the Honda Clarity? Or a Ford Fusion PHEV? Or the Chrysler Pacifica Plug-in Hybrid? Or maybe a Tesla model-S?

Or we could rent a mini-van for the trip. Or we could have one person fly, and four drive in the Volt; and then we could upgrade my wife to a Leaf and/or a Bolt or other 150-200 mile EV. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Purchasing a vehicle specifically for one trip does not make financial sense as the depreciation of just taking it out of the dealership would pay for the trip itself, by any means! So I would not let one trip with the whole family that might never be done again influence your decision to purchase. Make that purchase whatever vehicle your wife will be happy with for her NORMAL vehicle usage over the longer term...

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
For the trip I would suggest a rental van or SUV as you would have little use ongoing for such a large vehicle. If you insist on buying a vehicle for the trip then a late model full size SUV such as a Suburban, Tahoe or a Yukon as gas is currently cheap. If you are committed to driving an EV or PHEV have you considered a used Tesla Model S (seats 5) or a used Tesla Model X?

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
5 adults plus a dog will not be comfortable in anything less than a minivan for crossing the country. Remember, you are going to be in it all day long, day after day. You can't put 3 adults in a rear bench seat, plus a dog, for that trip. Plus you will be tight on luggage space as well in most of your listed vehicles. I would definitely recommend renting a minivan for the trip regardless of what you buy, unless you get the Pacifica.

For regular local use where you want rear seat room for passengers, I would definitely check out the Clarity. A great back seat, and also top notch electric range and efficiency. Of course the Model S would be great as well, but totally different price range.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
A Mitsubishi Outlander would do it. It does have A/C air cooled battery but with a ten year warranty, same as a Volt. Or a Pacifica. A sedan isn't going to cut it unless it's a hatchback and you aren't taking any luggage except for toothbrushes.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A Mitsubishi Outlander would do it. It does have A/C air cooled battery but with a ten year warranty, same as a Volt. Or a Pacifica. A sedan isn't going to cut it unless it's a hatchback and you aren't taking any luggage except for toothbrushes.
I'll find out if its available in Texas; we could look at the non PHEV version for sizing.

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier 80k+ Miles
568 Posts
A used Model S will seat 5 and can be had at a reasonable price. The hatchback also provides a lot of utility. If I had to buy tomorrow this would be my decision.

You'll need a good minivan for the planned road trip, nothing else really fits. This of course can always be rented.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Purchasing a vehicle specifically for one trip does not make financial sense as the depreciation of just taking it out of the dealership would pay for the trip itself, by any means! So I would not let one trip with the whole family that might never be done again influence your decision to purchase.
Exactly!! - I would NEVER let something I might use a vehicle for 5% of the time influence what I buy . . . . ever! Buy the vehicle for the other 95% of what you'll use it for every day and forget about this trip - Rent a van, which is what this trip really needs and it's NOT what you want/need the other 95% of the time

Sadly, this logic flies completely over the heads of many, many buyers, which is why you see so many pick-ups running around which very, very seldom haul anything and never tow anything - Lots of them are 4WD pick-ups which almost never leave a paved surface . . . . . but heck, if you're buying something to suit 5% of your needs, you might just as well equip it for the 1% of things you almost never do . . . . and then feed it gas for the next 150,000 miles

Don

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
What's that thing Chevy Chase drove in Vacation? That might work.
The Wagon Queen Family Truckster. Car Salesman (Eugene Levy): "Sure you think you hate it now but just wait until you drive it!"

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
What's that thing Chevy Chase drove in Vacation? That might work.
The Wagon Queen Family Truckster! Twice the headlights! Four times the woodgrain! Half the EPA mileage! If you think you hate it now, just wait 'til you drive it!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Sheldon,

If you like the PHEV lifestyle why not buy a Honda Clarity? I looked at one and its fairly roomy with seating for 5, the Chrysler Pacifica is another option.

Stephen

The Volt can only seat 4, and we're doing more driving with our grownup kids/spouse. So a car that would seat 5 would be nice. My wife's Mazda3 will be 10 years old, so she's ready for a trade in anyway.

This summer, the five of use are going on a 2400 mile road trip mostly marathoning to a wedding in Minnesota with 5 adults and a small dog; so we don't want to fly. My kids are grown, but slender.

The car we're looking for needs to at least be a Hybrid or plug-in hybrid, or an EV.

So a 5 seater would be nice. We could purchase a CUV hybrid, like the Toyota Rav4 or other Toyota hybrid. Maybe the Honda Clarity? Or a Ford Fusion PHEV? Or the Chrysler Pacifica Plug-in Hybrid? Or maybe a Tesla model-S?

Or we could rent a mini-van for the trip. Or we could have one person fly, and four drive in the Volt; and then we could upgrade my wife to a Leaf and/or a Bolt or other 150-200 mile EV. Any suggestions?

·
Administrator
20,582 Posts
RAV4 Prime anyone? EPA-estimated 42-mile EV Mode. AWD, etc. Seats 5. 14.5 gal gas tank.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts