GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought a new 2018 Volt about a month ago. Since then, on a number of occasions, I've had the wi-fi suddenly disconnect after about 20 minutes and never auto-reconnect. The Wi-Fi settings page shows that it exists but is not connected. Tapping it to connect does nothing. If I turn the wi-fi off, I cannot turn it back on. After I park and trun the car off and back on again, the wi-fi connects ok.

I've also noticed poor radio reception. The stations that came in just fine in my old Volt are now static-y.

Any thoughts on what the problem(s) is(are)? Do I need to take the car in to get it looked at? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
I just bought a new 2018 Volt about a month ago. Since then, on a number of occasions, I've had the wi-fi suddenly disconnect after about 20 minutes and never auto-reconnect. The Wi-Fi settings page shows that it exists but is not connected. Tapping it to connect does nothing. If I turn the wi-fi off, I cannot turn it back on. After I park and trun the car off and back on again, the wi-fi connects ok.

I've also noticed poor radio reception. The stations that came in just fine in my old Volt are now static-y.

Any thoughts on what the problem(s) is(are)? Do I need to take the car in to get it looked at? Thanks in advance.
Both issues point to a problem with the Volt's roof antenna. This usually means that there is not a good ground connection between the base of the antenna and the metal in the roof of the Volt. There could be a bit of paint or primer masking the point where the antenna should contact bare metal. Inform the dealer when you bring the Volt for service about this problem, they should have no problem duplicating the reception issue, especially on FM radio.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds like a reasonable explanation. It hadn't occurred to me that the Wi-Fi used the roof antenna.

·
Registered
678 Posts

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
THE BASE UNIT OR THE TWIST OFF ANTENNA ?
-----------
KEYBOARD OUT OF LC LETTERS-SORRY

·
Registered
463 Posts
The XM portion of the antenna went out on my 2017, and had to be replaced under warranty. The FM portion still worked fine. Have it checked by the dealership.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts