GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Ummm ... I'm thinking about this one. I'm considerably older than the millennials referenced in this read, so I don't know if this person is typical of that generation and their automotive preferences.

http://www.popsci.com/cars/article/2013-09/why-you-can’t-sell-me-car

I can agree with some of what Mosher says. Cars are getting more expensive, especially when loaded with all the tech every car should probably have standard, considering the way so many people DO NOT DRIVE THEIR CARS (a driver came up behind me today with a phone in one hand and a cigarette in the other, presumably she was using her knees to work the steering wheel--I'm just guessing) anymore, so perhaps the sooner we get to robot-cars, etc., the better.

Anyhow, Johnson Controls seems to think so:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20131016/AUTO01/310150124/1148/auto01/Future-may-turn-against-steering-wheel

Guess if the millennials want it, 'it' will happen.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
For me, the simpler the better. I wouldn't mind a few less features in a more base model. Sure, more than an AM radio is nice but i think a decontented EV someday with simple guts will do well. More commuter car and less space shuttle.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I guess rather than actually drive a car they would prefer sitting at a video screen virtually driving the car so they can sooth their egos by running pedestrians over and smashing into everything in sight and have the car ignore them ;).

But, if they don't want to drive, more power to them.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
For me, the simpler the better. I wouldn't mind a few less features in a more base model. Sure, more than an AM radio is nice but i think a decontented EV someday with simple guts will do well. More commuter car and less space shuttle.
Funny thing is.. the "space shuttle" aspect is what drew me to the car in the first place. And hence why the i-Miev was never a consideration for me.

·
Administrator
20,022 Posts
My summary of the article: Give me all the advanced technology of 2025, but today and at an econobox price. So why aren't the auto company's doing this? :)

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Sure, take the human factor out of cars. Problem is I'd guess Mosher doesn't have a clue the engineering challenge this is. It's being worked on, don't hold your breath though. It's going to be awhile yet.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
My generation—the millennials...
The canard here is that the millennials consumption pattern is the result of a decision to reject. As it turns out, there was an economic crash and an attendant lack of employment opportunity, which served to shape consumption patterns.

The conceit here is that Mosher's list of prerequisites for selling him a car speak for the millennials. It does not.

The millennials are not characterized by a homogeneous perspective toward transportation; this is pure fiction.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Also, even when the first 'self' driving cars hit the road, the law will make the car have a driver ready to take over in case the car craps out. So no watching videos - you have to be ready to take over at all times.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Also, even when the first 'self' driving cars hit the road, the law will make the car have a driver ready to take over in case the car craps out. So no watching videos - you have to be ready to take over at all times.
I can't wait to see what the insurance premiums will be for the self-drive vehicles...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
The canard here is that the millennials consumption pattern is the result of a decision to reject. As it turns out, there was an economic crash and an attendant lack of employment opportunity, which served to shape consumption patterns.

The conceit here is that Mosher's list of prerequisites for selling him a car speak for the millennials. It does not.

The millennials are not characterized by a homogeneous perspective toward transportation; this is pure fiction.
Right, his characterization is mostly an "urbanite view" of things like cars. But in my day, we wanted to explore, grow, enrich our lives with travel and adventure. This seems to be lacking in some younger people. Of course, he may have written it as a spoof of the types of city millenials he sees in NYC or SF. It surely doesn't represent the fly-over states. Urbanites on bicycles with short routes from apartment to work and who have access to good mass transit and a cluster of coffee-shop friends sounds like the types he is writing about. Perhaps sheltered as children by their parents doting over them getting hurt so they didn't play sports or "rough-house" or do manual labor or chores around the house.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I read the description of what the perfect 'car' would be and my immediate thought was 'taxi' (or have your SO drive)

I never thought of it, but there may be some connection between the reduced younger-age drivers and the fact that highway fatalities have been constantly decreasing for the last few years. Frankly, if younger folks want to avoid driving, fine with me. And no, driving doesn't mean you will be in an accident, and it is actually possible to park without getting a ticket (pay the meter).

The give me all attitude without responsibility is typical, as is the fact that it changes as people grow up.

Kids these days ...

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'm sort of in an in between generation between the baby boomers and the new generation that's just coming of age now. I'm still very active as an Alumni with my University so I sort of understand the issues facing kids nowadays. They have more technology than I ever did growing up but in some ways their finances and future are far more cloudy than what even I have. Often kids are told to go to school, end up with as much debt as owning a house and then only manage to find a job pumping gas or working in a call centre so really they can't afford anything but the cheapest car they can find.

Statistically, most folks average at least one accident in their lifetime and from what I recall 1 in 100 accidents leads to a fatality or life crippling injury. It's why insurance is so high. Very few folks realize that driving is and always will be blatantly dangerous. As my parents always told me, even if you're a good driver, someone else screwing up can easily kill you. Myself, I've yet to be in an accident but I have to admit there have been many close calls that have been either huge technical errors on my part or someone else's. I'm just glad my luck's held up all these years.

I would love a self-driving car for long highway drives or anytime I don't feel 100% at the wheel. (slightly sleepy, sick) So this would be a good feature to have. It's something that would really change the world.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well said, vulpes! My sentiments, exactly. Mosher may or may not speak for his generation, but 'my millennial' kid drove a 200,000 mile POS five years until it quit because it was cheap and he could have cared less for cars in general. However, I will add, he got a nice raise and is now driving a Jetta TDI which he thinks is better than my Volt, so these creatures do sometimes, evidently, change their minds. He's also started eating real food, which is new, but that's neither here nor there...

Driving around today is freaking scary; driving at night especially after the bars close is outright insane. Anymore, I avoid driving at night. On my short drive around town today I witnessed one 'running stop sign', two 'running red light', two erratic drivers on cell phones weaving between lanes, and one sat a the intersection traffic light thru a complete cycle texting (what amazed me was that NOBODY honked ;o). I have to drive to Virginia tomorrow and, let's put it this way, I'm not looking forward to the drive! Autonomous traffic control would be a blessing to me for this 8+ hour drive. Well, from what I read, this tech is coming whether we want it or not, but I wonder if I will live long enough to see it?

·
Registered
906 Posts
got news for you guys... self drive cars will probably drive better and with fewer accidents than drivered cars.... I like to drive like the next guy... but i also more and more get to the point id rather ride and make use of my time...

used to be on a biz trip i rented a car no matter what.. nowadays I look for reasons not to rent a car.. is there a bus? a train? a shuttle? I can use to get from the airport to my hotel to the place I need to be... yeah I can use that time to shoot out some emails, catch up on the news, drink my starbucks, text my boyfriend, all without worrying or caring about the road being click, wet, or someone pulling in front of me..

millenials and those of us older but still embracing technology to the max (me) have more things going on now.. more devices, more distractions, etc... driving wastes time...

-Christopher

1 - 14 of 14 Posts