GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I must be doing something wrong, I've set the heating before leaving the car, in a state where it will heat, set on 23c, fan speed, and not set on minimum, I've confirmed that the electric heater has started since the display shows it. I turn off the car with the power button. Whilst plugged in, I lock the car, and hit the key fob precondition button, the exterior lights come on, and various pumps and noises start, perfect ! after roughly 10 or 15 minutes, the exterior lights have gone off, maybe 10 minutes later the charging has also finished, and all is well apart from the car interior is stone cold ! what have I don't wrong ?

thanks for reading :)

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
I guess I must be doing something wrong, I've set the heating before leaving the car, in a state where it will heat, set on 23c, fan speed, and not set on minimum, I've confirmed that the electric heater has started since the display shows it. I turn off the car with the power button. Whilst plugged in, I lock the car, and hit the key fob precondition button, the exterior lights come on, and various pumps and noises start, perfect ! after roughly 10 or 15 minutes, the exterior lights have gone off, maybe 10 minutes later the charging has also finished, and all is well apart from the car interior is stone cold ! what have I don't wrong ?

thanks for reading :)
Need more information:

What model year is your Volt?

Besides the lack of cabin heat following preconditioning, does the HVAC provide heat when you start, drive the Volt?

How much fuel do you have in the fuel tank? (If you are low on fuel then the Volt will not precondition the cabin.)

If you wait 10 minutes after preconditioning ends the cabin will have cooled some but the cabin heat exchanger core should still contain warm coolant, when you turn on the Volt at that point the air coming from the vents should be warm.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, sorry, it's a 2014 Ampera, and yep, HVAC provides perfect heat for driving, fuel is around a third full. I've noticed this on each of the couple of occasions that I've tried the preconditioning, really properly stone cold in the car. If however (as I then did) I sit in the car wit the heater on, or indeed turn the power on and leave it that way while I lock the car, the heater works perfectly in those cases, just seemingly not when preconditioning

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
I'm pretty sure you don't need to 'Preset' what you want it to do during the Precondition. It just does what it takes hot or cold to get the cabin comfortable. In really cold conditions it will turn on the rear window defrost also.

Maybe an Ampera has different protocols. Get into the 'Climate Control' setup menus.
Make sure it is set to NOT start the engine during 'Preconditioning'.
Maybe in Europe they disable Remote Starts that use the gasser....???

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for your replies, yes, it is indeed set to not start the engine, and it doesn't, I'll ask the question on the UK Ampera forum, I'll let you know how I get on

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
I'm pretty sure you don't need to 'Preset' what you want it to do during the Precondition. It just does what it takes hot or cold to get the cabin comfortable. In really cold conditions it will turn on the rear window defrost also.

Maybe an Ampera has different protocols. Get into the 'Climate Control' setup menus.
Make sure it is set to NOT start the engine during 'Preconditioning'.
Maybe in Europe they disable Remote Starts that use the gasser....???
My experience with my 2017 Volt is that when I precondition using the phone app the Volt will precondition the cabin to a comfortable level whether or not I have left the HVAC set on. The key fob preconditioning will not change the last fan speed and vent settings, including whether the cabin air is set to recirculate. So if you forget and leave the HVAC off the cabin heater core may be warmed during preconditioning but no warm air has been circulated to defrost the windshield or heat the cabin. If needed, the rear defroster may come on automatically. If the Volt has heated seats then you can set the front seat heaters to automatic and the front seats only will be heated during preconditioning. On the 2018 and 2019 Volt, if the Volt is equipped with a heated steering wheel this can be set to come on automatically including during preconditioning.

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
I though we decided that it is different depending on if you use FOB or software starting and other items on year

1 - 7 of 7 Posts