GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
View attachment Volt Gas Savings.zip
I've been seeing lots of angst and gnashing of teeth in these forums ("fora"?) about waiting for the M3 or Bolt. If you’re looking to get off gas, why be all or nothing? Get the Volt today and start saving now. I made a little spreadsheet that shows the gas advantage of not waiting to get a Volt and zipped it to the link above.

I’ve set it up as if I’m waiting for a Tesla Model III, and entered a 75 mile round-trip commute, assuming only overnight charging and 50 miles per charge. My other assumptions are that the existing ICE car gets the national average of about 26 mpg, and that it’ll take 18 months until the M3 is delivered (both numbers probably optimistic). With these assumptions, if you buy a Volt today, you’ll have saved more than 800 gallons of gas by the time your Tesla arrives, and it’ll take another 5+ years for the Volt to burn the gas you used while waiting for the Tesla.

Getting 30 mpg with your Corolla? You still save almost 700 gallons by delivery date, and it’ll still take almost 5 years for the Volt to use as much gas as you would have burned waiting for your new ride.

If the Bolt is the car you think you want, change the 18 month wait to 5 and I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised about the gas savings of the Volt!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I'm waiting for a Bolt. The experience with my Prius C has taught me that I can get kind of obsessive about wanting to avoid burning gas, and I take enough trips beyond the Volt's range that I know I'll regret it if I buy one. And I can't stomach the thought of buying a car just to use for about a year, so I'm just going to have to be patient...

·
2,356 Posts
Thanks for posting this. Of course there's nothing wrong with waiting if you've decided a Bolt or Model 3 is what you want.

But if you're waiting because you want to save gas, you're likely better off buying one of the many plug-ins available today.

EV development isn't going to stop in October when the Bolt goes into production, or December 2017 when the first people (maybe) get their highly-optioned (not $35k) Model 3s. For the next 10 or 15 years there's always going to be something better coming in a few months, with longer range and faster charging at a lower price.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I bought a Volt now and I'm still waiting for a Bolt! ;)

My ELR lease is up in August so I picked up a used 2015 Volt to hold me over until the Bolt is available in my area.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
...But if you're waiting because you want to save gas, you're likely better off buying one of the many plug-ins available today.

EV development isn't going to stop in October when the Bolt goes into production, or December 2017 when the first people (maybe) get their highly-optioned (not $35k) Model 3s. For the next 10 or 15 years there's always going to be something better coming in a few months, with longer range and faster charging at a lower price.
My thoughts exactly! If you can do 90% of your driving on electrons now, why wait for that last 10%?

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Gen 2 Volt simply too small. Need something that can seat 5 adults comfortably, not 4 adults (2 not so tall), and a midget. Bolt ftw!

·
Registered
354 Posts
my EV% is quite high with the Volt and don't budget any fuel costs unless I go on a trip... but even so, taking the depreciation on a car owned for less than 2 years... in CA you have to also pay the full sales tax all over again. The only upside could be getting another $7500 tax credit.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
I already have a Volt, and transitioning to a Bolt will save me about $100 to $150 per month (depending on gasoline prices) in fueling costs.

As a Volt owner, I recognize its necessity, but EMM and stale gas fuel burning is one of the most aggravating feelings. Luckily for me and my driving habits, I have only had EMM engage once and took a long trip before it threatened to engage a second time.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I already have a Volt, and transitioning to a Bolt will save me about $100 to $150 per month (depending on gasoline prices) in fueling costs.

As a Volt owner, I recognize its necessity, but EMM and stale gas fuel burning is one of the most aggravating feelings. Luckily for me and my driving habits, I have only had EMM engage once and took a long trip before it threatened to engage a second time.
Your post seems contradictory to me. If you're spending $100+ per month on gas then why would your Volt ever go into EMM or stale gas burning mode...? Is that gas money being spent on some vehicle other than the Volt?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Your post seems contradictory to me. If you're spending $100+ per month on gas then why would your Volt ever go into EMM or stale gas burning mode...? Is that gas money being spent on some vehicle other than the Volt?
+1 I don't get it either.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
I said that I've only had the EMM engage one time, but I've owned a Volt nearly four years now. At one point (not my current living situation), I was driving 100% EV for several months at a time, which is enough to trigger EMM.

In my current living situation, I drive 150 miles a day, three days out of the week, and my charging costs are per session, not per kWh. In my Volt, it costs me $15 per week in electricity and $18 per week in gasoline. So $140-$150 per month, on average. In a Bolt, I could get away with only charging three days a week, which is $9. So $40 a month, on average.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I said that I've only had the EMM engage one time, but I've owned a Volt nearly four years now.
So you did, my bad.

I appreciate wanting to avoid it, one of the reasons that I've decided to wait for a Bolt is a realization that any usage of the Volt's gas engine would be an irritant to me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts