GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Pure BS, but I will keep it super short.

1) Try importing a U.S. car into Japan (automatic 100% tarriff, plus they would instantly find something wrong with it, anything...) or try purchasing one on a dealer lot.
2) Try buying an American made (insert product..example, Refrigerator) in Japan
3) Basically, a few years ago the American auto makers all but gave up on Japan even though tariffs were finally lessened (yes, Ford is there, but really, we gave up).
4) Single biggest reason was a long standing outrageous tariff agreement and insane protectionism by Japan with very brand (Japanese) loyalty
5) Bottom line, fair trade was anything but with Japan.
6) Also, notice what MOST Japanese drive here...Hondas (or Acura) and Toyotas (or Lexus), mostly
7) I mostly know this from reading a very informative paper by a well-known business man that wrote a paper specifically about this issue. (have no idea what the name was now)
8) This guy on this video is full of (insert whatever you want that isn't good)

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
When I was a graduate student, most of the scholars and visiting scientists from Japan intentionally bought American cars because they said it is very expensive in Japan and they want the experience. So they drove American cars while here, even if they aren't as reliable.

But when they become permanent residents or citizens, then they switch to driving Toyota, Honda, Nissan...

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Remember when the Japanese Minister said Japanese cannot eat American Beef because Japanese people have shorter intestines and cannot digest it?

That.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Any American car that sells in Japan does so as a niche vehicle.

In regards to Japanese Americans buying predominantly Japanese brand cars... I don't know that that percentage is much higher than the general population. I'm pretty certain you could walk into almost any parking lot in America, and a majority of the cars (not counting trucks) will likely be Japanese brands. I probably know far more Japanese Americans than the average American, and I'm not sure I would be comfortable making the claim that they are more likely to own Japanese brand cars. Now if you lump all Asian Americans together, who knows what numbers you'd come up with.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pure BS, but I will keep it super short.

1) Try importing a U.S. car into Japan (automatic 100% tarriff, plus they would instantly find something wrong with it, anything...) or try purchasing one on a dealer lot.
2) Try buying an American made (insert product..example, Refrigerator) in Japan
3) Basically, a few years ago the American auto makers all but gave up on Japan even though tariffs were finally lessened (yes, Ford is there, but really, we gave up).
4) Single biggest reason was a long standing outrageous tariff agreement and insane protectionism by Japan with very brand (Japanese) loyalty
5) Bottom line, fair trade was anything but with Japan.
6) Also, notice what MOST Japanese drive here...Hondas (or Acura) and Toyotas (or Lexus), mostly
7) I mostly know this from reading a very informative paper by a well-known business man that wrote a paper specifically about this issue. (have no idea what the name was now)
8) This guy on this video is full of (insert whatever you want that isn't good)
There is a lot of dubious history, omission, speculation and alternative fact here. The tariff is now 0% on American vehicles imported into Japan. The obvious answer that remains is that the Japanese just don't want American cars except as novelties. Reasons for this are open to debate, price, size, quality, LHD, whatever, but the sales figures on an even playing field don't lie.

Please supply a reference for your well known business man. Here is one from the Japanese business press this week;
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2017/01/26/business/abes-trump-dilemma-getting-japan-buy-u-s-cars/#.WJ8uRhgZM6g

I speculated in an earlier thread that the Bolt might finally be the American vehicle to break through in Japan, but then GM decided not to make a RHD version.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
There is a lot of dubious history, omission, speculation and alternative fact here. The tariff is now 0% on American vehicles imported into Japan. The obvious answer that remains is that the Japanese just don't want American cars except as novelties. Reasons for this are open to debate, price, size, quality, LHD, whatever, but the sales figures on an even playing field don't lie.

Please supply a reference for your well known business man. Here is one from the Japanese business press this week;
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2017/01/26/business/abes-trump-dilemma-getting-japan-buy-u-s-cars/#.WJ8uRhgZM6g

I speculated in an earlier thread that the Bolt might finally be the American vehicle to break through in Japan, but then GM decided not to make a RHD version.
I simply don't remember the name of the author or article at this time, but if my memory is correct, it was actually linked on this forum at one time. Here is one from here. Japan made it so difficult to do business in Japan (for American companies and products) that most have simply given up.

http://gm-volt.com/2011/05/23/gm-showcases-the-chevrolet-volt-in-japan/

·
Registered
677 Posts
It's simple really: Most American cars are too big, are left hand drive, are too fuel inefficient, and are perceived as having lesser quality and safety... There is no tariff on American imports so that is not an issue.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
It's simple really: Most American cars are too big, are left hand drive, are too fuel inefficient, and are perceived as having lesser quality and safety... There is no tariff on American imports so that is not an issue.
You have to look at decades of history here and understand the after-math of WW2, geez...didn't anyone take history in school.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You have to look at decades of history here and understand the after-math of WW2, geez...didn't anyone take history in school.
The history is that post-war economic policies were dictated by the victors (read: 'the Americans') to the benefit of the Germans and Japanese, to help them rebuild, and avoid the mistakes of 1919. Nevertheless the US profited enormously in the rebuilding by supplying tools, materials, and expertise. In time some of the protective measures were dialled back, and now they are not significant factors in any current trade imbalance, real or imagined.

The global trade situation we face now has a much more recent and complex origin.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Well worth the read for those that watch a short video and buy into its BS with a guy driving a gargantuan SUV claiming he knows why Japan doesn't buy American brands. Free trade is laughable and I know it isn't politically correct to say, but these are the types of things President Trump is challenging and complaining about.

http://www.uwsa.com/issues/trade/japanyes.html

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Unless us car makers start making kei cars Japanese won't buy Luxury sized things they can't park and can't afford the tax and registration for either.

In Japan cars are sky high to own and space to store a car is huge, anything bigger than a kei will sell in compliance numbers.

Oddly the first gen smart car sold in Japan as successfully as anywhere else because it fit under kei car laws.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well worth the read for those that watch a short video and buy into its BS with a guy driving a gargantuan SUV claiming he knows why Japan doesn't buy American brands. Free trade is laughable and I know it isn't politically correct to say, but these are the types of things President Trump is challenging and complaining about.

http://www.uwsa.com/issues/trade/japanyes.html
The video deliberately used an Escalade as a tongue-in-cheek device to instil a bit of British humour. Most of the world laughs at 'Sclades and the like. It doesn't change the fact that there are few if any American cars which are suited to the Japanese market, just as Kei cars are not suited to North America.

As for the linked opinion piece, the world has moved on a bit in the 25 years since it was written. The cultural differences were not new then but have lessened since, and the industrial examples are long obsolete. Look up the American content of an Accord or Camry. Japan is not in nearly as strong an economic position as it was in 1992.

Free trade is what the world is moving towards. I have not always supported it but it is inevitable and our real challenge is learning how to live and prosper with it.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
The article is well-balanced and very objective in a decades long look at how the Japanese conducted business there and were basically a closed society because they chose to be one. These are the reasons you don't see American Autos (with very few exceptions) in Japan or other American brands. I find it silly for people to look at Tariffs today with Japan and say, "Well, it is not because of Tariffs." Absolute BS...they are not looking at history here. Reminds me of the media with a very particular agenda. Oddly enough, it was the Chevy Volt that proved to me just how biased the media really is and how shallow their reporting and research really is.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I think it's because the Japanese people are smarter and more loyal that Americans are. The Japanese know that supporting local companies is wise while the Americans just want to be trendy. The Japanese people know that keeping their currency invested at home will produce a stronger economy for them. Americans seem to be more worried about peer pressure.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
I think it's because the Japanese people are smarter and more loyal that Americans are. The Japanese know that supporting local companies is wise while the Americans just want to be trendy. The Japanese people know that keeping their currency invested at home will produce a stronger economy for them. Americans seem to be more worried about peer pressure.
This is probably the most accurate. The Japanese are proud of their country and their workers. They don't buy a lot of German cars either.

In the US driving a German car says you are a success, and a Japanese car to say you don't believe your neighbors have the skills the Japanese do.

I sort of skip all that crap and buy American cars and trucks because they suit my needs, and are the best cars in the categories I shop for.

Really, what Japanese truck is as good as a 2500HD Duramax Diesel? Which sportscar is as good as a Vette? Which 'green' car is as good as a Volt? Which performance sedan is a Cadillac V-series?

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is probably the most accurate. The Japanese are proud of their country and their workers. They don't buy a lot of German cars either.

In the US driving a German car says you are a success, and a Japanese car to say you don't believe your neighbors have the skills the Japanese do.

I sort of skip all that crap and buy American cars and trucks because they suit my needs, and are the best cars in the categories I shop for.

Really, what Japanese truck is as good as a 2500HD Duramax Diesel? Which sportscar is as good as a Vette? Which 'green' car is as good as a Volt? Which performance sedan is a Cadillac V-series?
I generally agree, which is the point I'm trying to make. The cars you list are perfect for North America, but would never sell in Japan whatever the politics. If you want to sell cars you have to build them to suit the market, and there are no American cars suitable for the Japanese.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts