GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love so much about the Volt but I'm very disappointed in how Chevy cheaped out on the rear cargo area cover . Seems like it would have made more sense to mount a side retractable cover that would pull across left to right.

·
Administrator
20,655 Posts
Weight, Cost, Reliability, Space. Every ounce counts. The cloth cover will be durable and reliable. I have had retractable cargo covers fail. But I like the side retractable idea if it was not expensive, easily repaired, and did not protrude into the cargo area.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I've never used them on any of my cars. I feel they just get in the way. After I tinted the hatch I found no use for the cover.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Mine is safely in the cubby never having been used. I'm glad it is small and flexible and takes up no space.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I felt the same way when I got my Volt over one year ago. However the cover stretches to hold large loads in place and away from the rear window defogger. It is easy to attach and remove, and I really like it. It really is a brilliant design.

GSP

·
Registered
738 Posts
ToddHinLa, my first impression was similar to yours. I knew that weight/energy was everything in the design of the car so thus the simple cover design.

After my first impression I really like the soft cover and prefer it over a vinyl pull/retracting design. I like the low mass, I like how it is simple and works, nothing to go wrong (like a retracting one may have), I have used it as a quick cover over the rear console when carrying large items to protect the console surface, I like the soft support it offers as I used it several times for just that as I had it in place and I placed disply foam boards on top of it to carry them safely without sliding damage etc. It also works for fragile, light stuff like a bag of chips as it carried them without sliding around and simply.

After more than a year of ownership I have learned to love it for many reasons.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Weight, Cost, Reliability, Space. Every ounce counts. The cloth cover will be durable and reliable. I have had retractable cargo covers fail. But I like the side retractable idea if it was not expensive, easily repaired, and did not protrude into the cargo area.
Exactly! :)

·
Registered
791 Posts
Honestly, the heavy rear GM cargo mat that I ordered when I purchased my car is very durable BUT the darn thing probably weighs about 20 lbs. Wish it was lighter but when I eventually use some fuel Ill only put in a few gallons to counter act the weight of my mat.

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
While this won't make you feel any better, it's the same as found on a $120,000 ZR1.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I really didn't know what to do with the cover, leave it up or store it in the side cover. So I thought, just leave it on the back 2 connectors. This way, if I need it, its there, and if I don't need it, it acts like a divider.

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,655 Posts
I really didn't know what to do with the cover, leave it up or store it in the side cover. So I thought, just leave it on the back 2 connectors. This way, if I need it, its there, and if I don't need it, it acts like a divider.
Yup, that works too!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I for one would rather have a traditional hard hatch cover that mutes the tire/suspension noise coming from the rear. Just my 2 cents.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts