GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Towns are voting in gas rationing in a few states. I think once the reality of the damage settles in, many more people will be buying into the climate change caused by humans link and do their part to try and go green with their next car purchase..... nothing motivates change more than your house and town's infrastructure getting blown out to sea.....disturbing damage video from the air...

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/superstorm-hurricane-sandy-2012-aerial-view-damage-surveying-17614930

MrEnergyCzar

·
Registered
218 Posts
I agree but I also think that those huge gas lines will help some people realize how much they are dependent on gas. Granted power is out too but for folks that do have power they could easily be avoiding getting gas if they had an electric car.

On a side note I remember chatting with my father-in-law about generators and he was thinking of buying one of those $600 ones that can run your whole house. I was thinking a $1,000 that is quiet and sips gas. When I started looking more into it. The amount of gas you would need to stock pile to run that $600 generator is crazy.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
My neighbor has had an outdoor generator going for 4 days now. But our street is not out of power here in PA.

Best way to go with a generator is a properly-sized one the runs on propane or natural gas and uses a large standby-tank. I may look into one eventually to feed off our existing propane home tank. We need to run our water pump when power goes out, but it goes out so rarely it's always the last thing we want to add to our house.

NJ is in some terrible shape with tens of thousands of affected homes along the ocean. Friend of mine in Staten Island said that they have at least 15 confirmed fatalities there. Down in AC, another co-worker of mine's store was lucky to have been elevated to 1' above the high-water point and didn't get any damage.

·
Registered
379 Posts
My neighbor has had an outdoor generator going for 4 days now. But our street is not out of power here in PA.

Best way to go with a generator is a properly-sized one the runs on propane or natural gas and uses a large standby-tank. I may look into one eventually to feed off our existing propane home tank. We need to run our water pump when power goes out, but it goes out so rarely it's always the last thing we want to add to our house.

NJ is in some terrible shape with tens of thousands of affected homes along the ocean.
HUNDREDS of thousands. :). I've been out since 12:40pm on Monday. Thankfully my only damage was a few dents on my beater wagon and two tiny little dings on my Volt.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
more people seem worried about getting a charge for their cells phones and dry ice -according to the news.
I saw no articles about solar or wind or how off grid people were doing. I guess if you are the only person on the block with power you might keep the porch light off.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
A lot of people are going to be in severe discomfort for an extended period. It's probably best if we don't crow about the Volt too much within the same narrative as the misfortune of others. However, yes, I think reality may begin to set in as a consequence of this tragedy.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Sandy and the images did promote some thoughts on the benefit of a VOLT with dual power sources. So either electricity or gasoline will return first in such a tragedy but one does not know which and it will vary due to the circumstances. So having both power sources allows a VOLT owner flexibility that others do not have. I am sure with a VOLT that even if your personal house was without out power that any business or other homeowner would allow you to plug in if they had power. So the VOLT continues to reset the bar and shift the paradigm in so many ways.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Living in Louisiana, I know lines at gas stations can be horrible just before and after a storm.

One of the many great things about the Volt is that about 1.5 weeks before Hurricane Isaac hit Louisiana, I filled up my Volt. A couple of days before Isaac made landfall, I could simply pass by the gas stations with my full tank and avoid the lines. After the hurricane, I still had electricity so I was able to continue to avoid the gas lines and keep my full tank.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Just saw a facebook post from a friend of mine in NY. She has power back, but can't get gas anywhere so she had to call out of work. I just thought how great a Volt would be in her situation.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
i bought the car last march and i'm at 8,060 miles, it has burned 2.8 gallons of gas...... when the election is over and people actually learn the real story behind this car the benefits of ownership will become self explanatory......

·
Registered
574 Posts
On Long Island, where the gas lines are miles long and people are starting to riot, I am very fortunate to have a Volt. My job has power, so I plug in here with the 110 portable. My wife's office is next to Leviton, and they have a public L2 charging station in their lot that I will be making use of this weekend while we wait for power to be restored to our home. Not having to worry about the gas shortage is huge right now, and I'm sure as I drive past those long lines more than a few will be looking at the car thinking maybe they should make the jump.

·
Registered
820 Posts
more people seem worried about getting a charge for their cells phones and dry ice -according to the news.
I saw no articles about solar or wind or how off grid people were doing.
Of course not, the news reporting agency are not interested in reporting positive stories 95% of the time. Did you ever hear the song called Dirty Laundry?

"I make my living off the Evening News
Just give me something-something I can use
People love it when you lose,
They love dirty laundry

Well, I coulda been an actor, but I wound up here
I just have to look good, I don't have to be clear
Come and whisper in my ear
Give us dirty laundry

Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em when they're down
Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em all around

We got the bubble-headed-bleach-blonde who
Comes on at five
She can tell you 'bout the plane crash with a gleam
In her eye
It's interesting when people die-
Give us dirty laundry
Can we film the operation?
Is the head dead yet?
You know, the boys in the newsroom got a
Running bet
Get the widow on the set!
We need dirty laundry

You don't really need to find out what's going on
You don't really want to know just how far it's gone
Just leave well enough love
Eat your dirty laundry

Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em when they're up

Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em when they're stiff
Kick 'em all around

Dirty little secrets
Dirty little lies
We got our dirty little fingers in everybody's pie
We love to cut you down to size
We love dirty laundry

We can do "The Innuendo"
We can dance and sing
When it's said and done we haven't told you a thing
We all know that Crap is King
Give us dirty laundry!.
"

With all this God awful tragedy to report, they are in heaven. Pretty sad that these people choose a profession that thrives primarily on tragedy.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I saw no articles about solar or wind or how off grid people were doing. I guess if you are the only person on the block with power you might keep the porch light off.
Yeah of course they will not show articles on solar or wind. I have solar and the only negative thing is that if I have no grid power, I have no useable solar power. I was told in order to take advantage of using solar, while not having grid power, is to invest in batteries.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Note that for those with grid-connected solar and no batteries (which is how most residential solar installations are configured), the inverters shut down when the grid is not active, so they don't have power either.

·
Registered
438 Posts
If you read this please give to the American Red Cross http://www.redcross.org

I posted on another thread. There are many of us who are not crowing about our volts but because we have volts we are in the position to help others.

I live in one of the hardest hit areas in New Jersey, a block in half from the Hudson River, with views of lower Manhattan. My neighborhood was devastated. My family and tenants were lucky, were on high ground though we were surrounded on four sides by water, for much of the storm. I parked my volt on the fourth floor of a high-rise to avoid water and flying debris. My neighbors homes had as much as 10 feet of muck, calling it water is just a euphemism by the media. I also was fortunate to regain my power after just 30 hrs while the remaining 80% of my city was sitting in the dark and much of it still is. I am giving this background to show what I can do for my neighbors. If they need transportation for immediate needs like food or clothing they have a reliable car at their disposable that will not need to sit in line for hours on end. If they need to look for family and friends they have use of a vehicle. If they need to recharge their computer or smart phone, they have use of a vehicle. How many others can say that and not add to the pollution. Its not crowing, its about letting people know what can be done with different technology in extremely difficult situations.

By the way the american red cross is doing a remarkable job, please give what you can.

http://www.redcross.org

·
Registered
985 Posts
Attributed to
doudis2
With all this God awful tragedy to report said:
I find your comment offensive. I worked in television news on three continents, landed at Mogadishu 4 days after the U.S. Marines took the beach at the airport and reported on U.S. Military saving lives in Somalia. Before the fall of the Iron Curtain I worked in the Soviet Union in television news as a freelancer. I talked to World War Two Russian Veterans who LOVED Americans and reported on stories like this. I've been in the home of Shari Lewis and Lambchop in California... the list goes on and I taught courses at a private university here in Texas.

Consumers of news drive the business. If we only showed stories of Boy Scouts helping little old ladies cross the street or firemen rescuing cats from a tree, nobody would watch and ratings would fall.

Get pro-active and do something "news worthy" in a positive manner with your Volt (as I plan on doing) and MAKE some news. Send out a press release to your local news agencies, but don't tell me EVERYTHING in the news and EVERYONE who is a reporter is a parasite.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Attributed to
doudis2

I find your comment offensive. I worked in television news on three continents, landed at Mogadishu 4 days after the U.S. Marines took the beach at the airport and reported on U.S. Military saving lives in Somalia. Before the fall of the Iron Curtain I worked in the Soviet Union in television news as a freelancer. I talked to World War Two Russian Veterans who LOVED Americans and reported on stories like this. I've been in the home of Shari Lewis and Lambchop in California... the list goes on and I taught courses at a private university here in Texas.

Consumers of news drive the business. If we only showed stories of Boy Scouts helping little old ladies cross the street or firemen rescuing cats from a tree, nobody would watch and ratings would fall.

Get pro-active and do something "news worthy" in a positive manner with your Volt (as I plan on doing) and MAKE some news. Send out a press release to your local news agencies, but don't tell me EVERYTHING in the news and EVERYONE who is a reporter is a parasite.
Hey Sterling, I can certainly see why you would take offense, and I would post as you did if I were you, but I stand by my post and do not apologize for it. The media is built on sensationalism and tragedy.

I bet many young prospective journalist go to college with a mindset of reporting in a positive way and to even try and make a difference, but once you get a job things things change. You are right it's all about the ratings as it is what the people want so this is what the boss demands. However does that make it noble. Is it noble that people bring traffic to a halt at every accident to lookieloo for the blood and guts amongst mangled vehicles? No, it is sick!

Just because people place a demand on a given product or service does not make it right, i.e. pedophilia, heroin, slave sex trade, etc. Like I said "95%." There are positive stories but you CANNOT deny that my statement (it is a) "profession that thrives primarily on tragedy" is fact.

You can try to justify it from here to eternity, but I will never respect sensationalized journalism. I will never understand the need and the reporters that invade peoples privacy with the BS statement "The people have the right to know."

Remember Diana!

Buddy you arer in one heck of a field, one I just happen to think is built on the misery of others. You reported on wars and seem proud of it...probably the worst of all tragedy's.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Sandy and the images did promote some thoughts on the benefit of a VOLT with dual power sources. So either electricity or gasoline will return first in such a tragedy but one does not know which and it will vary due to the circumstances. So having both power sources allows a VOLT owner flexibility that others do not have. I am sure with a VOLT that even if your personal house was without out power that any business or other homeowner would allow you to plug in if they had power. So the VOLT continues to reset the bar and shift the paradigm in so many ways.
I can totally relate to this. I have no power and probably another week before it comes back. But the entire city did not lose power and I was able to use Plugshare and Recargo to find working charging stations close to where I am staying. Being able to charge and drive EV, I have not touched the full tank of gas I put in prior to the storm, thus avoiding the madness that is brewing on the gas lines. The concept of having a vehicle like the Volt that can operate on more than one type of "fuel", especially in a unprecented situation like this, should make a lot of people take notice.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Besides making a lot more people take notice of the Volt, I hope this raises the awareness in NYC that we need a hell of a lot more charging stations, we have some serious gaps in geography between available stations Chargepoint, Blink, GE and whomever else I missed, you need to get on the ball FAST !

1 - 19 of 19 Posts