GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As GREEN as the Pacific North West is, and all the forward leading legislation in Washington State, and Thousands of Charging Stations, thanks to Stimulus Money, Why was Seattle overlooked as one of the Primary Launch Cities for the Chev Volt.

My sneaking suspicion is that NISSAN kind of beat GM to the area... after all NISSAN's lead guy Mark Perry has his daughter going to the U of W here in Seattle. And the partnership between Seattle, ECOTality charging, and NISSAN is pretty tight.

But being a 30 year veteran of the EV Movement, I still wish I did not have to wait till 2012 or 13 to see a VOLT in a Seattle Chev Dealers Show Room.

I will be driving a VOLT this week end however… Seems that Seattle is the FIRST city on the Nation Wide Ride-N-Drive Volt tour…

Respectfully:
Steven Lough
President, Seattle EV Association
www.seattleeva.org

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
The 6-12 month "lag" between the initial launch roll-out (Q4 2010 thru Q2 2011) and FULL 50-state market proliferation (end of 2011) is rather insignificant IMO. However everyone NOT in the ILM apparently feels "snubbed" for whatever reason. (and traditional EV conspiracy theories abound! LOL) But I highly doubt it has ANYTHING to do with Nissan OR existing charging infrastructure, as the Volt of course doesn't really require it.

Given the number of years you and other EV enthusiast have been waiting for the realization of true OE-produced electric vehicles for the masses, one would think this slight delay as merely the last base-camp before the pinnacle has been reached.
As for the "must-have's" and early adopters, nothing is stopping them from purchasing a vehicle from a Volt dealer in Northern California and driving it back to Seattle. I guess the true level of interest in Seattle might be gauged somewhat at this weekend's Volt "Unplugged" events.
Hope to see THRONGS out there!
JMO
WopOnTour

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I live in Oregon, you can just fly down and buy one in California and drive it back. Obviously if you have any Volt specific problems, you've got a $40k paper weight in your driveway until a dealer in your area gets Volt certified (if there aren't any already, just because they don't sell them in your area yet doesn't mean the technicians aren't certified on it yet) but I think you would be fine seeings as there should be authorized Volt dealers in Seattle within a year and there are definitely Chevy dealers that can do any maintenance on the ICE, or any peripheral and body maintenance.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Bingo, precisely what I am doing in Atlanta (buying from Washington DC). Yep,there are risks, and I'm obviously willing to take them. See also the "long distance purchasers" thread.

Directly on topic, I think they picked the markets for maximum media and public policy impact. So that's why you get the media markets of NY and LA, and the political center of DC. Michigan gets in there for obvious political reasons. Austin is the only stretch -- the only thing I can think of is the heavy wind power presence in Texas. More likely there was a backroom deal.

So, quit your whining. :) Do you (Seattle) realize how BAD it is for the rest of us east of the Pacific Coast? We have NOTHING out here, where you guys have at least a few public chargers, EV clubs with a pulse, Tesla stores, and Washington representation that doesn't embarrass you daily. Down in the Deep South all we have are our venal orangutan Senators.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
I live in Oregon, you can just fly down and buy one in California and drive it back. Obviously if you have any Volt specific problems, you've got a $40k paper weight in your driveway until a dealer in your area gets Volt certified (if there aren't any already, just because they don't sell them in your area yet doesn't mean the technicians aren't certified on it yet) but I think you would be fine seeings as there should be authorized Volt dealers in Seattle within a year and there are definitely Chevy dealers that can do any maintenance on the ICE, or any peripheral and body maintenance.
Good point omni.
I guess I could see some people being somewhat uncomfortable buying a high-tech car like the Volt out-of-state and not being 100% certain there would be someone willing and able to service it should any problems arise.A while back GM sent letters to every Chevrolet dealer NOT in the initial launch markets requesting they state their intention to become a Volt "Authorized Service Dealer" (ASD). Those that complied with a "yea" are quite obviously dealers that intend to eventually become a Volt selling dealer after the initial rollout phase is complete. The comittments in terms of essential equipment, tools, and technician training are essentially identical to ILM dealers. (including the on-site installation of at last two 240V charging units) So prior to making that out-of-state venture, I suppose it would be a good idea to poll any local Chevy dealers to enquire if in fact they have decided to become an ASD. (the managment staff of that store would/should know by now)
Certainly this would provide some peace of mind and limit any major inconvenience should unexpected issues arise.

Reading my response to Mr. Lough, I hope it isn't coming across as scathing or condescending (NOT my intention) and I'm certainly not arguing that the Pacific Northwest ISN'T some of the most environmentally conscious area's of the country.(it is) But there are grassroots EV organizations and hard-core enthusiasts in almost every state of the union. With a limited number of Volt's initially it would have been nearly impossible to manage a "swiss-cheese" nation-wide launch.
So there was obviously a sound business case and rationale used to establish the ILMs, one that has essentially already been explained by the GM Volt team.
My point was there are really no losers here. The Volt will in a matter of a few short months find it's way to all corners of USA and Canada.
WopOnTour

·
Registered
317 Posts
To stevenlough,
From your pic, we can see that you are a true EV enthusiast! I have wanted an electric car since I was a kid - when the first availability announcements were made, excluding NY, I was as cranky as you are! Imagine my delight when I found out my closest Chevy dealer was getting some of the first allocations!
So hang in there - absence makes the heart grow fonder.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
As GREEN as the Pacific North West is, and all the forward leading legislation in Washington State, and Thousands of Charging Stations, thanks to Stimulus Money, Why was Seattle overlooked as one of the Primary Launch Cities for the Chev Volt.

My sneaking suspicion is that NISSAN kind of beat GM to the area... after all NISSAN's lead guy Mark Perry has his daughter going to the U of W here in Seattle. And the partnership between Seattle, ECOTality charging, and NISSAN is pretty tight.

But being a 30 year veteran of the EV Movement, I still wish I did not have to wait till 2012 or 13 to see a VOLT in a Seattle Chev Dealers Show Room.

I will be driving a VOLT this week end however… Seems that Seattle is the FIRST city on the Nation Wide Ride-N-Drive Volt tour…

Respectfully:
Steven Lough
President, Seattle EV Association
www.seattleeva.org
Steven,
Boy you think you feel snubbed. The tour skips right over Phoenix. Totally unbelievable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts