GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh wait, I don't have a Bolt. That's okay, you don't have a Model 3. Anyway, here is the "Tale of the Tape":

Tale of the Tape: Tesla Model 3 vs. Chevrolet Bolt EV

Pretty sure the price on the Model 3 will be a point of contention among other things. Feel free to read what CS says about that.

Here's one of the things I look at:

IIHS Crash-Test Ratings

Bolt: Good ratings for small overlap, moderate overlap, side impact, roof strength, head-restraint and seats tests; front crash prevention rated Superior with optional equipment
3: Not tested yet

NHTSA Crash-Test Ratings

Bolt: Not tested yet
3: Not tested yet; “Designed to achieve 5-Star Safety Rating,” Tesla site says

I did not know anyone would design for a 4-star or lower rating. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
A little dated article, with lots of fun "Tesla says"..

This is one of the big ones:
Standard battery models will start production in November, with delivery expected to start in mid-December. Earlier this summer, CEO Elon Musk says Tesla hopes to have production running at 20,000 cars a month by the end of the year.

It's interesting how the warranties vary. Never saw this comparison. Thanks.

I really do wish them well!

·
Administrator
20,213 Posts
One posted comment complains you still have to buy electricity for the Bolt!! Not so for the Hyundai ICE he is thinking of buying...

Sheesh

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One posted comment complains you still have to buy electricity for the Bolt!! Not so for the Hyundai ICE he is thinking of buying...

Sheesh
I was thinking of posting a collection of the paranoid and anti-this or that person, party or ideology statements from this site. I though it might be funny..... sort of. As I collected them I came to realize how not funny it was.

So I looked up a less stupid variation of just one stupid article posted. Google came up with this CR article.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
The Bolt EV is a car designed for the EV tax credit, and priced accordingly. The Model 3 is designed to sell in an environment without the credit. I expect changes in what GM offers going forward.

In San Jose for work this week, and have been excited seeing many Bolt EVs (and other EVs). Seem at least 3 dark grey Bolts in as many days, and not out driving much.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's interesting how the warranties vary. Never saw this comparison. Thanks.
Yeah, I don't know what to make of that. 3 has a longer B2B but Bolt has a longer powertrain warranty, especially on miles. 50K miles on the 3 seems pretty weak.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
The Bolt EV is a car designed for the EV tax credit, .... The Model 3 is designed to sell in an environment without the credit.....
That's what it was designed for?:confused:

How do you explain the similar BASE prices and performance and warranties and functionalities?
Why/how do you make this 'design' statement?

Was it part of the same design decisions to go for the '5 star' crash rating?? GC Tesla !!:p

Edit:

Just heard a new name, MUSKetteers !!:D

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Yeah, I don't know what to make of that. 3 has a longer B2B but Bolt has a longer powertrain warranty, especially on miles. 50K miles on the 3 seems pretty weak.
Tesla does not have the financial muscle GM has to support a longer warranty. It's a simple financial calculation. GM also has a lot more data to draw on that's used in populating that calculation.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tesla does not have the financial muscle GM has to support a longer warranty. It's a simple financial calculation. GM also has a lot more data to draw on that's used in populating that calculation.
That is unfortunate. These things can affect purchasing decisions.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Tesla has a lot of government support from what I’ve read. Seems like the warranty would need to be comparable to be competitive.

I got 100k bumper to bumper on my volt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts