GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
4,879 Posts
Hardly mentions Tesla at all. It is a Bolt review. Misleading title.
Well, the word "Tesla" is in the article 14 times, so I don't know that I would say they hardly mention Tesla...

·
Administrator
21,036 Posts
Sources at General Motors tell me there will soon be an announcement that should alleviate some of the range anxiety I’m feeling. I’m guessing it will be more charging stations. I’m hoping they will take a page out of Tesla’s book and build a national network of them.
I'm not holding my breath. Even so, my use of the car doesn't require public charging stations. But having more DC fast charging stations might take the fear out of some would-be buyers or those living away from large cities.

I think the article title refers to that lack of Model 3 production vs. the wide availability of Bolt EV's for going on a year.

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
I live near St Louis and my family lives in Wis just north of Milwaukee and I still can't use Plug Share to get me there in a Bolt. What am I missing? Where are all the CSS fast charging stations? Getting between two major cities in the US should be easy?

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I live near St Louis and my family lives in Wis just north of Milwaukee and I still can't use Plug Share to get me there in a Bolt. What am I missing? Where are all the CSS fast charging stations? Getting between two major cities in the US should be easy?
Fly-over States are always last unfortunately. Been here most of my life. That’s why I always state the ‘Zurra lament.

This is not a ‘balanced article’. It’s about the guy’s Bolt.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
With the Bolt EV, until the past year I would still be unable to leave my home city more than say 100 miles to ensure I had enough range to make it back. Now I could get to Chicago via Madison, turning a 4 hour drive into a 5 hr 15 min drive plus 1+ hour charging. Not at all practical. Given that the Bolt EV I want is $44k, it isn't much less than the $49k model 3. As much as you don't want to admit, Tesla Superchargers make the vehicle more useful for long distance travel, still sucks relative to gas, but it does make it bearable if done infrequently.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
With the Bolt EV, until the past year I would still be unable to leave my home city more than say 100 miles to ensure I had enough range to make it back. Now I could get to Chicago via Madison, turning a 4 hour drive into a 5 hr 15 min drive plus 1+ hour charging. Not at all practical. Given that the Bolt EV I want is $44k, it isn't much less than the $49k model 3. As much as you don't want to admit, Tesla Superchargers make the vehicle more useful for long distance travel, still sucks relative to gas, but it does make it bearable if done infrequently.
Well, you should have bought a John Deere Lawn tractor...:)

"The Straight Story" chronicles a trip made by 73-year-old Alvin Straight from Laurens, Iowa, to Mt. Zion, Wis., in 1994 while riding a lawn mower. The man undertook his strange journey to mend his relationship with his ill, estranged, 75-year-old brother Lyle.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0166896/

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
I play with EV Trip Planner using a MS70 as my comp to a Bolt and can get to ANY place I would need to today using SuperChargers. That's what I need before I can buy a Bolt

Waiting in southern Illinois.

·
Registered
708 Posts
So it is better than a Tesla because the currently available Tesla isn't in his budget and people don't ask him about the car? Um, OK.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
For some reason, Plugshare doesn't seem to show EVGo's DCFC stations (at least in the Midwest it doesn't) anymore. PlugShare did show them a few months ago, but now, it's like there's NO CSS in Chicagoland or Milwaukee and that's not true at all. EVGo's mapper shows EVGo and ChargePoint stations (though obviously no status readings for CP) and ChargePoint shows their own only.

Too bad Bloomington's gonna be a level-2 charge in a parking ramp, and it's 270 miles minimum between Edwardsville Commerce Bank and the Lincoln Tollway Oasis without it.

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
For some reason, Plugshare doesn't seem to show EVGo's DCFC stations (at least in the Midwest it doesn't) anymore. PlugShare did show them a few months ago, but now, it's like there's NO CSS in Chicagoland or Milwaukee and that's not true at all. EVGo's mapper shows EVGo and ChargePoint stations (though obviously no status readings for CP) and ChargePoint shows their own only.

Too bad Bloomington's gonna be a level-2 charge in a parking ramp, and it's 270 miles minimum between Edwardsville Commerce Bank and the Lincoln Tollway Oasis without it.
And therein lies the problem as it exists today. So for now a Volt is the better solution for my family.

·
Administrator
21,036 Posts
For some reason, Plugshare doesn't seem to show EVGo's DCFC stations (at least in the Midwest it doesn't) anymore.
Using https://www.plugshare.com/ and select both High Power AND Public Stations. You'll see the L3 stations as orange pins. Some are ChaDemo, others EVGo, some Tesla, etc.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
You wouldn't need a full charge in Bloomington, depending on road conditions 1 to 2 hours at a Level 2 charger might be enough - about the time you'd need for a nice lunch plus perhaps a bit of shopping...?

But yeah, a DCFC there would make a pretty big difference.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
With the Bolt EV, until the past year I would still be unable to leave my home city more than say 100 miles to ensure I had enough range to make it back. Now I could get to Chicago via Madison, turning a 4 hour drive into a 5 hr 15 min drive plus 1+ hour charging. Not at all practical. Given that the Bolt EV I want is $44k, it isn't much less than the $49k model 3.
Yeah, the truth is that this is still an ICE world if you're talking long trips. For me neither would work. Both would work going to Palm Springs or LA. For the nature type trips with the Tesla I could get to where I was starting, but once there I wouldn't be able to drive to the other places I want to go. The Tesla could work would be on a trip to Scottsdale but it would be inconvenient and a hassle once I got there.

Now if the Tesla would be dirt cheap that would be one thing. But the price difference between a Bolt EV and a Model 3 is not going to be $5K. Maybe $8K but more likely $9K or $10K. That could pay for a lot of rental cars or, alternatively, that's a lot to pay for a few charging sessions. I don't see why GM doesn't roll out a program where you can rent an Equinox at the company rate as part of your Bolt EV purchase or lease. That would work far better for me than more DC chargers.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I don't see why GM doesn't roll out a program where you can rent an Equinox at the company rate as part of your Bolt EV purchase or lease.
While it may be a sensible and realistic idea, the optics of it are pretty terrible: "Buy a Bolt and we'll throw in a rental for all the times it won't meet your needs!".

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
While it may be a sensible and realistic idea, the optics of it are pretty terrible: "Buy a Bolt and we'll throw in a rental for all the times it won't meet your needs!".

Such a thing is done by Toyota and Honda for those who lease one of their fuel cell cars. I guess they do it to mitigate the lack of hydrogen fillup locations. I confess I looked into leasing one of them. But I came to my good senses and held out.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Not sure the tm3 could do the road trip I just did in my volt. Cos to Iowa city, 840 miles, 12hr, 10 min. That included two food and fuel stops.
From looking at the maps the longest stretch between superchargers is 336 miles. The trip would have taken 2 full charges or probably 3 80% charges which would have added 1.5 hrs plus for the same trip. Not really an option for me. Time is valuable to me. Especially not driving for another couple hours in a day.
While I have a Bolt as well, it's not a road trip car.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Given that the Bolt EV I want is $44k, it isn't much less than the $49k model 3.
Try finding a Model 3 for 49K. More like 59K if it has half the equipment you want on a 44K Bolt.

While I have a Bolt as well, it's not a road trip car.
This is the paradigm shift that people don't seem to get yet. EVs are not (yet?) road trip cars. I have little doubt that they will be, but for now it's a fruitless argument. The Wright Brothers could have flown cross country, but at the time a train was still much more practical.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Try finding a Model 3 for 49K. More like 59K if it has half the equipment you want on a 44K Bolt.

This is the paradigm shift that people don't seem to get yet. EVs are not (yet?) road trip cars. I have little doubt that they will be, but for now it's a fruitless argument. The Wright Brothers could have flown cross country, but at the time a train was still much more practical.
We really need larger batteries and faster charging for ev's to fully replace ice vehicles for all trips. Now that it has gotten colder, my range has dropped a lot. Note that these are all hill top reserve ranges, in the summer I would see 210 miles in the morning, now I am seeing 150. Yesterday was coldish (30-40) and windy. Usage was 3 mile/kWh. I would expect that to get down closer to 2 on the really cold days. That alone limits the road trip ability for 1/3 the year. I am guessing, 75 mph and 0 deg temps will limit range to less than 100 miles between charges.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts