GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is GM using Lithium ION Batteries (old technology) when they should be using lithium - Titatinate batteries which last twice as long as the car will, can me recharged in 10 minutes with 3 phase power or trickle charged with regular AC home power, and pack a higher energy density (Drive further) than Lithium Ion?

If you are going to build a car to compete against the Japanese/Asian Market, Build it right!

Read up on Nano Safe Technologies and the British car "Lightening" that is using this technology, among many other unknown car manufacturers...

·
Registered
200 Posts
A123 isn't supplying laptop batteries to GM

A123's batteries are a competitive technology to lithium titanate, they're not the same thing as the more conventional lithium ion batteries in laptops and mobile phones. It's my impression that A123 has a LOT more experience with commercial production than AltairNano, the producer of the Lightning's lithium titanate batteries. That may have been behind GM's choice to pursue A123 as a possible supplier. Altair may have some exclusivity agreement with the startup auto manufacturer's it's already working with, but that's pure speculation on my part. I don't know anything at all about the LG Chem battery.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I am under the impression that Lithium titanate and newer Lithium ion batteries are used interchangeably. Notice that in the GM-Volt site below, the lithium titanate are implied to be under the same category as Lithium ion batteries.

GM invested money to EnerDel to develop Lithium-titanate batteries

http://gm-volt.com/2007/09/18/enerdel-gets-gm-money-to-develop-li-ion-batteries/

EnerDel makes a lithium-ion battery using “patented lithium titanate and hard carbon technology and cell design technology” which is based on initial developments coming out of Argonne National Lab.

“Under the full three-phase program, EnerDel is working to develop a fully integrated battery system for use in hybrid vehicle applications. The USABC program aims to produce a cost-competitive, lithium ion battery that is lighter, smaller and higher in power than existing battery technologies for hybrid electric vehicles.”

If you read on the comments further down the posted link, this will help clarify some of the issues, including how much better are A123's iron phosphate improvements to the Lithium Ion batteries.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts