GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i was working today i got to thinking why isn't there some add on system for continuous charging...i would think it would cool to have some belt off the axle direct running something like an alternator to be charging the batteries all the time while in motion. Yes i know there is no room in our volts but you would think there would be some thought while in the engineering phase.

·
Registered
907 Posts
It's called mountain mode.

Or, only drive downhill.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
when i was working today i got to thinking why isn't there some add on system for continuous charging...i would think it would cool to have some belt off the axle direct running something like an alternator to be charging the batteries all the time while in motion. Yes i know there is no room in our volts but you would think there would be some thought while in the engineering phase.
Thermodynamics, and why we can't have perpetual motion machines.

If you want to get energy out of the cars motion to charge the battery, it will slow down the car or take energy from something else.

The car already does what you suggest in a fashion. If your battery runs dead the engine can start and charge the battery, and every time the car slows down it runs the motors as generators and takes some of the energy from the cars motion and puts it back into the battery.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
It's called hold mode. What you're suggesting sounds like the perpetual motion joke I used to tell. Real world physics, this just adds additional drag and reduces range. Most engineers understand physics pretty well.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
I have just the book for you :)

Zap!: Wile E. Coyote Experiments with Energy

its a Google book

·
Registered
520 Posts
Hmmm . . . this thread is ripe for someone to inadvertently bring up the word that must NEVER be said. ;)

·
Registered
568 Posts
Hmmm . . . this thread is ripe for someone to inadvertently bring up the word that must NEVER be said. ;)
I've been on the forum a few months and still don't get this joke... was there some april fools type of thing going around?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Connect an inverter to the 12 volt battery in the back to give 110volts from the battery and then connect your EVSE to that and run the cord to the charge port all the time so the car charges itself.

So simple it has to work. This is probably one of those ideas locked in a vault somewhere by OPEC to be sure we keep using gas like the 100 mpg carburetor plans that are stored in there.

·
Registered
2016 Volt Premier, delivered Oct/15
650 Posts
Have tried all the above proposed solutions:

Belt system didn't work, belt kept sliding off the axle

Wind mills on the roof worked well, until I went under an overpass....

Now looking for a new system, trying to buy used as the manufacturers phone number doesn't seem to work anymore....if anyone has a spare please post it on this thread

Attachments

·
Registered
650 Posts
If you have a G2 you can take the 110 out of the inverter and use a 110/220 travel adapter to get 220 V, then use the cord changer to put 220 V into the EVSE and thus charge at a Level 2 charger.....so simple why hasn't this been posted before lol
Connect an inverter to the 12 volt battery in the back to give 110volts from the battery and then connect your EVSE to that and run the cord to the charge port all the time so the car charges itself.

So simple it has to work. This is probably one of those ideas locked in a vault somewhere by OPEC to be sure we keep using gas like the 100 mpg carburetor plans that are stored in there.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Have tried all the above proposed solutions:

Wind mills on the roof worked well, until I went under an overpass....
I use a low profile axial flow unit, it only sticks up 2 feet above the roof line, so I can go anywhere a pickup truck fits without problems.

Keith

PS: I had assumed this was a post trolling for funny responses, but a bunch of people seem to have taken it at face value... Last time I asked a question like this I think I was seven possibly younger... has our education system deteriorated so far that adults actually in seriousness ask questions like this?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Very interesting ...did you use a synchronous generator or simply an induction unit?. Also do you have a kW vs speed chart so I can see what is the optimal speed to drive at ?
I use a low profile axial flow unit, it only sticks up 2 feet above the roof line, so I can go anywhere a pickup truck fits without problems.

Keith

PS: Last time I asked a question like this I think I was seven possibly younger... WTF has happened to our education system?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Well, I'm all for perpetual energy but the universe thinks otherwise...... besides, who wants to change pesky perpetual energy belts anyway, I'm betting the cost would be astronomical, require payments in pixie dust and unicorn hair......

·
Administrator
20,022 Posts
I've been on the forum a few months and still don't get this joke... was there some april fools type of thing going around?
No, just one of our members who claims to have perfected a driving technique (which he branded) that yields more battery miles by driving in Hold. Of course, only he (and no one else) can repeatedly get the claimed results.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
No, just one of our members who claims to have perfected a driving technique (which he branded) that yields more battery miles by driving in Hold. Of course, only he (and no one else) can repeatedly get the claimed results.
But he had all those fancy charts and graphs...how could they be wrong?! Charts and graphs never lie!

·
Administrator
20,022 Posts
But he had all those fancy charts and graphs...how could they be wrong?! Charts and graphs never lie!

lol, yes, let's not forget the charts and graphs. A word of caution: Please do not take the wooden stake out of Dracula's heart. We will all suffer from the resulting Tsunami of posts. Hence, the name that shall not be mentioned... :)

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
All this overthinking going on......

Me? I just drive with the brake pedal applied so I regenerate all the electricity back into the battery.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts