GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do you need a gas powered generator? Why can't they use something that produces the equal or greater amount of torque. Such as the wheels on the volt. If you had the same setup as the volt on a truck you could use the driveline as the propeller for the generator and it produces sufficent rpms as well as torque. That way you never use gas and you never plug the vehicle in an outlet, it would be self- sufficent. Thats where they need to look; not at more gas power self propelled power.

·
Registered
878 Posts
TWamboldt925, this is maybe the #1 FAQ. You are probably new to this forum.

Let's make this short and sweet, before the others rip you to shreds. See Link

After reading the information at that link, if you still think this is a good idea, then return to this thread, but be forewarned, you will probably leave bloodied.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I really do have a perpetual motion machine, and it works, REALLY, I promise. I know I left it around here somewhere . . .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Made that last post before I looked at the link above, good one :)

Seriously though, a Volt running on E85 will leave OPEC sitting on it's oil reserves. They are building ethanol production (not test) plants now, and from sources other than corn. By the way, after corn is processed for ethanol production, what's left is a high protein mash, which is highly valued for animal feed.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Yee-hah! No more foreign oil AND good, cheap steaks! I knew there was a reason I loved this plan! ;)

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Why do you need a gas powered generator? Why can't they use something that produces the equal or greater amount of torque. Such as the wheels on the volt. If you had the same setup as the volt on a truck you could use the driveline as the propeller for the generator and it produces sufficent rpms as well as torque. That way you never use gas and you never plug the vehicle in an outlet, it would be self- sufficent. Thats where they need to look; not at more gas power self propelled power.
A better solution would be to put a lightning rod on top of the car and feed the captured lightning BOLT into the flux capacitor on the VOLT. This would provide the superconducting electric motivator with the 1.21 gigawatts of energy required to propel the car to the top of Pike's Peak. ;)

Or, you could put the lightning rod on top of a near-by tall building with a clock tower, and run an electric line down to street level. . . Wait, that sounds so familiar. . . :D

No antagonism intended, but it is best to leave the engineering to the engineers. This is an exacting profession with years of tough schooling and training before one can be considered proficient. It is extremely unlikely that someone incompletely or inadequately trained in engineering disciplines can propose some simple-sounding idea that hasn't already been beaten to death as being impractical or impossible for any number of reasons.

·
Registered
188 Posts
A Volt running on E85 will leave OPEC sitting on it's oil reserves. They are building ethanol production (not test) plants now, and from sources other than corn. By the way, after corn is processed for ethanol production, what's left is a high protein mash, which is highly valued for animal feed.
They are building 2 production butanol plants using the left overs from cheese making as well. No E85 modified engine, no 20% economy hit, and you can run it at 100% instead of 85%.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Cool, methanol, ethanol, butanol, start pumping them all out. When I read up about alcohol fuels, the proper compression ratio is about 19.5/1, more like a diesel than gasoline engine, so current E85 ICE is actually an under-utilization of the fuel, once we get competition someone will make the proper alcohol burnin' ICE, or maybe EEstor actually works and we can throw all that away (well, we can hope can't we?).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Gas vs ethanol

Wouldn't it make sense for the Volt that the gas tank, lines and motor be able to support using either gasoline, E85. or E100? My understanding is that even our current cars, like my mustang, could run on E85 if the tank and lines were changed so that the acid effect of the alcohol wouldn't affect the current tanks and lines.

I would think that it would make the Volt's internal enginne run more eco friendly if it could run on E85/E100 rather than gas, then only use gas as last result when ethanol isn't available. I would think the same opinion if the internal engine was Diesel that it could run on either biodiesel or regular diesel if biodiesel wasn't available.

IWBG

·
Registered
75 Posts
Wouldn't it make sense for the Volt that the gas tank, lines and motor be able to support using either gasoline, E85. or E100? My understanding is that even our current cars, like my mustang, could run on E85 if the tank and lines were changed so that the acid effect of the alcohol wouldn't affect the current tanks and lines.

I would think that it would make the Volt's internal enginne run more eco friendly if it could run on E85/E100 rather than gas, then only use gas as last result when ethanol isn't available. I would think the same opinion if the internal engine was Diesel that it could run on either biodiesel or regular diesel if biodiesel wasn't available.

IWBG
The problem lies within the infrastructure of bio-fuels, they are not wide spread. Having driven over North Carolina from end to end I have only seen one bio-diesel station. This in turn means that most of my time would be spent using the engine in a less efficient way and not making the best use of it.

Now if Bio-fuels were much more common then it would be a practical design choice, unfortunately a car that is designed for the masses must also be practical.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Availability of biofuels

Agreed that biofuels are not ready available at this time but neither is the volt ready yet either. I expect that ethanol pumps at gas stations will be more plentiful in two more years than it is now. But if you are in the midwest they are more plentiful.

I just think that if the gas tank and lines were dual purpose then the best of both gas and ethanol avaiilability would greatly improve the volt's usability.

IWBG

·
Registered
286 Posts
There are no ethanol stations in all of Louisiana. A website has a list of them all. Can't recall the addy right now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts