GM Volt Forum banner

Why EREVs might still be a better option for some.

3746 Views 28 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  Ladogaboy
I found this video pretty interesting. Personally, I think most of this experience is owed to poor trip planning by the owner, but it is an example of how someone with a busy schedule and long trips can be impacted by owning a BEV.

Ironically, he might have saved himself time by backtracking west and recharging at the Burbank Supercharger, but oh well. First world problems.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
3,527 Posts
How many folk travel over 500 miles at >=85 mph? Outside urban areas, when traffic is light, 85 is normally the slowest I go. Especially in areas with speed limits of 75mph or higher.

It makes no sense in going fast to cut travel time, when you must use the time savings to recharge more often.
Depends on the relative efficiency, how the charging rate tapers, and whether the additional consumption leads to extra stops.

In the Model S 85, due to the tapering of charging rate, it's better to drive faster up to about 100mph.

It's also worth noting that additional charging time is additional time out of the car.

A Volt should go 500 miles faster than any BEV. I don't even think it would be close.
Depends on the speed of the route and what you're doing for food. If you're driving a Model S90D at about 55mph, and stop at a Supercharger for lunch around the middle of the route ... :p

Realistically, a BEV is never going to be as fast as an ICEV for long trips. Gas is typically pumped at 5 to 10 gallons per minute. Typical mid-size fuel tanks have 15 gallon fills. Get 30mpg and you get 450 miles for 3 minutes "charging".

But, what you lose on the long trips you gain on the daily grind. And, you don't have to listen to an engine.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.