GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it true? A friend told me this morning, he read it online somewhere. Since I don't intend to get the Gen 2 Volt, I haven't kept up with its development and latest news.
Thanks,

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Is it true? A friend told me this morning, he read it online somewhere. Since I don't intend to get the Gen 2 Volt, I haven't kept up with its development and latest news.
Thanks,

I think someone is pulling yer leg!:rolleyes:

Unlike the new Mustang that 'fakes' its engine noize, I doubt you have to worry about GM doing this to the Volt 2.0!?:confused:

If anything, there might be a pedestrian safety signal (@1:30 into video linked above) similar to the ELR added although this isn't specifically stated in the 2016 Volt owner's manual as it is mentioned in the ELR owener's manual...

·
Registered
952 Posts
From page 262 of the owner's manual.

Fuse F5: Pedestrian protection

The 2016 Order Guide has the below listed as Standard:

Pedestrian safety signal, automatic audible signal during low speed driving

·
Registered
638 Posts
Does pulling the F5 fuse disable the pedestrian sound?

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
http://www.hybridcars.com/6-ways-the-2016-chevy-volt-has-been-improved/

"Also new for 2016 is an automatic audible signal during low speed driving. For previous Volts, a Safety Alert Signal was a double horn chirp the driver manually actuated by pushing a button on the end of the turn signal stalk.

For 2016, the signal tone has changed to more of a mechanical pump sound that was derived from the ELR and Spark EV and automatically turns on below 19 mph and remains on continuously. The driver typically cannot hear it, but pedestrians can."

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
From page 262 of the owner's manual.

Fuse F5: Pedestrian protection

The 2016 Order Guide has the below listed as Standard:

Pedestrian safety signal, automatic audible signal during low speed driving

Well, looks like the 2016 Volt will produce this 'noize'!

Thanks for confirming!;)

·
Administrator
22,504 Posts
Yes, perhaps they are referring to the pedestrian alert that is emitted for blind people at low speeds.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Yes, perhaps they are referring to the pedestrian alert that is emitted for blind people at low speeds.

Its not really the blind we have to worry about, I would image this automatic audible signal is meant more for distracted walking idiots!:p

Does pulling the F5 fuse disable the pedestrian sound?
Removing this fuse would be like a rolling lawsuit waiting to happen. Now if this specific fuse just 'happened' to be blown...well thats another story!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
464 Posts
These "pedestrian safety" noises are similar to the Red Flag laws passed when "horseless carriages" first appeared.

"Red flag laws were laws in the United Kingdom and the United States enacted in the late 19th century, requiring drivers of early automobiles to take certain safety precautions, including waving a red flag in front of the vehicle as a warning."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_flag_traffic_laws

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I believe there's a greater risk of injuring someone who's looking down at their phone...

·
Registered
294 Posts
I believe there's a greater risk of injuring someone who's looking down at their phone...
I taught at a nearby university as an adjunct professor for 5 years. For 3 of those, I drove a Prius that was absolutely silent at low speeds. Every year, on the first day, I could have scraped numerous iPod / iPhone toting undergrads off of my car if I chose not to drive REALLY carefully! However, to be fair, I'm not sure that a fake engine noise would have helped - a foghorn might have.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
2k16volt1stPrint.pdf<----2016 Volt OWNer's Manual!;)
It's on page 261, not 262 :)

It seems that given the current development, there is an opportunity for wholesale burned fuzes. Maybe add

VoltFuze

These fuzes are high quality fuzes which have been carefully burned with overcurrent and tested for non-functionality. Manual inspection has been conducted in order to ensure smooth replacement.

3$ - Tri-Honk fuze
3$ - Pedestrian warning fuze
5$ - Combo pack (one Tri-Honk + one Pedestrian)
5$ - Fuze removal tool (To replace that one you dropped)
15$ - Two Volt Family pack (2 Tri-Honk, 2 Pedestrian, 2 Removal Tools)

Get your fuzes now.

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
If the good folks over in the Tesla forum are correct the pedestrian warning is totally inaudible from inside the car. In my 41 months of Volt ownership I can state I have almost hit MANY pedestrians had I not been paying attention.

I have no trouble with this feature. And please STOP referring to this as FAKE ENGINE noise, it's not. The Tesla guys say it sounds like the sound effects from a spacecraft from a 50's movie.

personally I want mine to sound like George Jetson's car.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.