GM Volt Forum banner

Why does my ELR ride rougher than my Volt?....the 20's?

Tags
20" ride rough
8K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  cab 
#1 ·
Is there some type of tuning or adjustment to adjust the ride in ELR? I think its the 20" wheels, but it definately rides rougher than my Volt, much rougher. I thought a Cadillac would ride better, but I'm currently really disappointed in the ride.

Have I got something set wrong? I've lowered the tire pressure to 33....it suggests 35. Please help...even my guests notice it.

#4 ·
I have owned Caddy's since 2003. The ride can be a bit harsh due to the stiff body and suspension. Definitely tuned for cornering and handling vs. a soft ride.

The Caddy's also take a long time to "wear in", like 15 to 20k miles to wear in vs. about 2 to 3k for a conventional vehicle.

You will get used to it and the first time that you have to swerve quickly to avoid an accident and have full control of the vehicle, you will appreciate the trade off to a soft ride.

The 20" low profile tires definitely affect the harshness as well. Keep them properly inflated.

The seats will soften and it will get slightly better but typically you just adjust to the car over time as you get used to it.

I had to avoid a truck tire that blew right in front of me with my CTS a number of years ago. My wife could not figure out how I drove through the flying debris. It was the stiff handling that got me through it.

#10 ·
This surprises me as my ELR has a significantly smoother ride than my Volt did. This is in touring mode of course, is that what you use as sport mode will stiffen things up a bit.

#15 ·
I have to say, the Volt rides smoother and more supply across many obstacles my Buick bumped violently over. That was a comlete surprise. Was expecting a vastly inferior suspension system and tougher ride over Buick. The Volt ride is actually better feeling than my Lincoln MKX too??? GM really did this car justice.

#18 · (Edited)
Wow......How can there be much difference in our ELR's.....I have 2014 Volt and my 2012 was just as smooth both much smoother than my ELR. I have always been surprised by how smooth and quiet it was for a smaller car......not as smooth as my MKZ, but close. My ELR can't compare, unfortunately. The Lincoln was way smoother as have been my Volts. If that is really your experience, I wonder if I should go drive another one and compare.....maybe my suspension is not assembled correctly. Wonder if we have different tires...mine are the Potenza's. P.S. I always drive in Touring.....but I thought Sport only adjusted the engine/acceleration settings....not the ride.

#19 ·
The biggest single variable in terms of one person's view of ride quality vs. another is the roads they each drive on every day. Next is each person's ride preference...then comes the actual car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.