GM Volt Forum banner

Why does my ELR ride rougher than my Volt?....the 20's?

Tags
20" ride rough
8K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  cab 
Could be. Both test drives I have had I asked about the tires and was told they were run flats which came standard.
That information did come from dealer salesmen so I do consider it likely, but not gospel.
Nope, not runflats. Ask salesman to show you where it says they are in the manual. And if he/she still insists they are, ask him to have service manager show you how they work by removing a valve core and driving once around the parking lot...

I was hoping they were. The ride had lots of road noise and felt rough. Which, in my experience, would have been explained by run flats.
This was also at two different dealers. Perhaps it is a common dealer added option?
Looking at tire rack, the only 245/40R20 runflats they have are Goodyears and Pirellis, all summer tires, all more than $400 each. I doubt that any dealer has upgraded demos to runflats.

However, one thing I've learned to do is take a tire gauge with me if I'm going to be doing a test drive, and check the tire pressures before starting out. It's amazing how many times I've had to get the tires set correctly. I've also had a Lexus dealer hand me a CT200h loaner with all 4 corners over 40psi, which made I-4 through Orlando a painful experience.

The ones on my ELR are Bridgestone Potenza RE97AS, which is a low rolling resistance (LRR) tire. On well-worn asphalt and blacktop I consider them noisy. Otherwise their noise level isn't too bad. I'll be visiting relatives in a month or two, and if the Potenzas are too noisy for me on I-95, they'll get replaced when I get back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.